•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

is this a ok starter teloscope

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

ive had it for a while but do to some health issues i have not been able to use it https://www.telescop...pe/p/102013.uts

#2 Diana N

Diana N

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:50 AM

Yes, that's a fine starter scope.  It's also a lifetime scope!  That scope can keep you happy for a lifetime of observing.

I don't know where you store it, but it is a lot easier to use it regularly if you can store it somewhere (like a garage or shed) where it will always be close to the ambient outside temperature, and place it on a rolling platform like a hand cart.  Then using it is just "roll and go!"

• Sam M, Defenderslideguitar, amzking and 3 others like this

#3 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

cool ty for the input it will be stored inside in north ga usa. but i dont run heat so im hoping for a short sit time

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

Hello and welcome to cloudy nights

That is a great scope for beginer or advanced person.

How do you intend to move it? 

If you are young and strong no problem.  Otherwise some folks here get a hand

cart to make it easy to take out.

I keep my 10 inch f5 in an unheated garage.  Howver the garage is insulated and attached, and can run 20 degrees F,

warmer than outside.  That change takes about an hour to cool for high power viewing.

#5 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

is it ok to take it off base to move it? then move base first then the tube?

#6 vdog

vdog

Apollo

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

is it ok to take it off base to move it? then move base first then the tube?

Absolutely.

Consider also keeping it on a handtruck or cart of some kind to make it easier to move in one piece.

Great starter scope.  I started with a much smaller scope before I got my 10" dob.

#7 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

Why an XT10i ?

What do you want to do with it and what do you want it to do ?

Within reason any scope is a starter scope. You can go buy a $6000 apo and a CEM120 and guide scope and camera and all the other bits as a first scope - nothing stopping you. Equally you can buy a 60mm scope.

Literally that is the range and more that is open to you.

To me it is: Why?

Are you getting the right scope?

#8 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

Why an XT10i ?

Why ?  Because its sitting in his house, ready to go  lol.gif

• PXR-5, BFaucett and B 26354 like this

#9 hiMike

hiMike

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:33 PM

I would argue that is a far better scope than most of us started with lol.gif

Congrats on feeling better, go enjoy that thing!

#10 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

its raining lol 

• PXR-5 and clearwaterdave like this

#11 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

Well of course it's raining. You're wanting to try out a tekescope,. It's some kind of law of nature or something.

If you haven't used one of these things before, the most likely issue to run into would be collimation. But yeah, a 10" Dob is a fine starter, especially since you already have it!

#12 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:45 PM

should i be worried i saw some small smudges on the big mirror looks almost like a human touched it. i never even used it before and kept all covers on it

#13 Diana N

Diana N

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

should i be worried i saw some small smudges on the big mirror looks almost like a human touched it. i never even used it before and kept all covers on it

I wouldn't worry about them right now.  They will have a negligible effect on image quality.  Eventually you'll want to clean the primary mirror, but for now I'd just concentrate on using and enjoying the scope.

#14 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:51 PM

Not a problem, don't mess with the mirror, just use the scope when you can, it's a superb starting scope. Take your time and have fun.

#15 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:55 PM

ty everyone for all the advice... ive always loved the nightsky since i was a kid and got a very small cheap scope. sadly i only got to use it once i lost the eyepeice the first night. i was heartbroken

#16 Jay6821

Jay6821

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

That's a very nice scope. Enjoy!

#17 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:08 PM

+14, a fine scope.  I agree with vdog, get some wheels to put under it to make it easier to move (hand cart, furniture dolly, DIY roller-thing). Anything you can do to make moving, set-up, take down, et cetera easier will make you willing to take it out and use it more often.

A collimation laser is a very handy tool to have and makes the job quick and simple.  Learn how to collimate your scope so you'll always be happy with the image it provides.  There are several aids to help with collimation, and  you'll hear about them all eventually.

I like the Intelli-Scope system.  If you set it up properly it is accurate.  You can also decide to simply not use it if all you want is to set your scope down and look at the moon.

Also, see if you can get an invitation to Deer Lick Astronomy Village, especially for the Peach State Star Gaze.  Prepared to be amazed by what you can see under dark skies.  

#18 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:30 PM

ps while playing with it inside i found it weird that i needed my glasses i asumed my eye would focus on the eye peice. which is close to my eye.

#19 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Space Coast, Florida

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:06 PM

That is an awesome scope.  Top of my list if I ever get a Dob.  Take it out and enjoy it!  

I always take my glasses off to observe.  Everyone is different.

Have fun and I am glad your health issues are better so you can get out there and observe.  Fine your local astronomy club if you can and get involved with them.

#20 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:43 AM

i control the weather if i decide not to use scope it will be clear out . if i decide to use it it will be rainy lol. i know it will be nice if i can see the mountains in the day .ps i saw a youtube video where they claim they can see the people on the iss that has to be fake right?

#21 Voyageur

Voyageur

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

ps while playing with it inside i found it weird that i needed my glasses i asumed my eye would focus on the eye peice. which is close to my eye.

I wear eyeglasses, but do not use them for observing. Focus can be adjusted for near- or far-sightedness (within reason). I have mild astigmatism that doesn't bother me when observing. Those with moderate to severe astigmatism usually prefer to observe with their eyeglasses on. 

What were you observing when using the scope inside? If you were aiming the scope through a window, that might be the main problem with focus. Window glass introduces optical aberration. Even looking through an open door or window can be problematic due to thermal currents when outside and inside air meet.

I suggest that you wait until you can get the scope outside and then experiment with focus to see if you need to wear your glasses while observing.

And no, it is not possible to see people inside the ISS with your telescope. It's pretty hard to even get a look at the ISS itself, as it moves very quickly through the field of view, but it is possible, and some folks have taken cool photos of it in which you can clearly see what it is.

You also cannot see the flag the astronauts left on the Moon. Lots of fake stuff on youtube...

• Augustus likes this

#22 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

dang i thought so. i have no idea why people make fake videos

#23 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:40 PM

useing a teloscope on a street with paranoid humans. i was adusting my finder scope on some tops of trees and this dude asked me why i was looking at him. i tryied to explain telling him there is no way id use a huge teloscope to watch him im guessing the guy used some kind of drugs

#24 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

Your view will be upside-down.  Those people on the mountain will fall off!  A quirk of Newtonian scopes.  You will get used to it.  Not a very good tool for terrestrial viewing.  Have fun.

#25 newbiefrommars

newbiefrommars

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:21 AM

ps ot the ither night i was going thru a rough patch in life and i went for a walk and saw the bigest brightest meterite i ever saw. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics