•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Remote Telescope

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Toodle

Toodle

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

Hi all,

I've just dusted off my ~40 year old wedge mounted C8 (and a fortune of old oculars), which I've used only sporadically for the past 30 years. My plan is to set it up in a modified tool shed in our backyard with visibility of a patch of sky overhead, and observe from the comfort of my den. (It's getting cold here in Apex, NC, and, at the age of 80, my blood is a little thin.) I've checked out the telescope optics, and hooked up an old SPC900NC camera to it, with a ~75 ft USB active cable running to an old PC. So far so good! I would like to get a better camera, and I'm thinking about the QHY5111 CMOS 178C camera, which I would like to hook up to my circa 2012 MacBookAir which only has a USB2 port. Will this work?

As you can see, I'm a novice at this, and would appreciate any help you might provide.

PS. I've got some other old stuff, e.g., a Lumicon Sky Vector and a Jim's Mobil Mototrak II, which I can add later.

Terry

-------------- 

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Welcome back, Terry.

As you can see, I'm a novice at this, and would appreciate any help you might provide.

As this is the Beginners' Forum (which focuses on the really simple fundamentals of astronomy):

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.42.24.png

There are several routes that you can probably go with a camera. If your interest is real time observing with a camera then I'd suggest that you start a thread up in the Electronic Assisted Astronomy (EAA) Forum. If you are more interested in using longer duration exposures in order to create images for aesthetic enjoyment or science, then I'd suggest that you head on over to the Beginning & Intermediate Imaging (B&II) Forum. Finally, if you are more interested in the nuts & bolts of building an observatory, the site also has a forum for observatory builders.

Best of luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics