•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about mounting orange tube C-5

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jon555

Jon555

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:28 PM

Jon, Just so you know, it's not old enough to be a sand cast model. The tube on the sand cast models is smooth (not a pebble finish), the corrector cell is retained differently, they had a completely metal secondary mount and the serial numbering method was different and not placed on the face of the secondary holder.

BTW I've been talking to Celestron support about it (to do with whether it would work with any of the current mounts) and they say it was sand-cast.

(I think this is of interest to the Registry so am posting.)

• retroman2 likes this

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

You can easily mount your orange tube C-5 to modern mounts that have a dovetail mounting system. I bought the proper size rings from Orion and mounted them to a Vixen style dovetail.

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

• Bomber Bob, retroman2 and Steve Allison like this

#3 Jon555

Jon555

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

Sorry it took me a while to reply, a Mod moved my post from another thread and I only just spotted it.

So should I assume the Celestron mounts take Vixen Dovetails, as IIRC my C5 has screws designed to attach to one of those... see bottom left in image.

The Celestron support person I've been talking to said it should attach to a Nexstar 6/8 SE mount and, if I understand correctly, via a Vixen bar, but I wasn't sure if the mount had a Dovetail or it screwed in place:
https://www.celestro...ting-plate-cg-5

Oh and I can't see any sign of the mounts being sold stand-alone in the U.K., so worth asking how well they are thought of as sending one back to the U.S. would be expensive and claiming back Import Duty and Tax very tricky?

Also is there another quite small/light computerised mount that would play nice with it? I have bigger mounts, but want something to take to City Centre Star Parties where finding stuff can be quite a chore (as the City is London and sometimes you can see one star in 1/4 of the Sky) and quite a bit of walking/carrying is involved.

IMG_5351_sm.jpg

#4 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:23 PM

BTW I've been talking to Celestron support about it (to do with whether it would work with any of the current mounts) and they say it was sand-cast.

(I think this is of interest to the Registry so am posting.)

Jon, Sadly who ever you contacted at Celestron is wrong about it being a sand cast model. A lot of people assume any old orange tube model is sand cast. I have both a sand cast C5 and a die cast C5 and the differences between the two are in line with others that are  documented in the registry. Your OTA is just like my 1980-82? die cast. I'd post photos of the differences but I currently don't have access to my computer.

• Steve Allison likes this

#5 Masvingo

Masvingo

Apollo

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:04 AM

An easy way to distinguish the OTAs is by the secondary holder, the sand-cast ones have a metal secondary holder with four screws, three round the edge and one in the middle (as shown in the picture posted by Don W), whereas the die-cast models have a plastic holder with just three screws round the edge - no screw in the middle.  

#6 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:28 AM

Also the rim is smaller and black on the older C5's.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics