•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Milky" binoculars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kurtenstein

kurtenstein

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Montréal

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:06 PM

Hi! I own a pair of Bushnell Sportview 7x50 binos, probalby form the 70's or 80's. I think their optics are o.k., but they're unfortunately "cloudy" or "milky", as if a white veil had built on the prisms or oculars...

Can I do something about that? Is that fungus? I don't mind trying to take them apart... 

Thanks for your help!

Edited by kurtenstein, 21 November 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#2 DeanD

DeanD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

That doesn't sound like fungus: that would normally show little lines like tree branches. A piccie would help, but I don't imagine there would be any problems with giving them a clean. Something like the Zeiss lens cleaner should do the job, or a mix of iso-propyl alcohol and distilled water.

Be very careful that you don't cross-thread the objective cells when you put them back together, and mark the prism locations just in case. (A gentle turn in the wrong direction until you feel the thread clicking down a bit will help to get the thread right.) You might have to do a bit of collimation once they are re-assembled, but that isn't difficult (lots of info out there about this).

Good luck,

Dean

• Antonio R.G and j.gardavsky like this

#3 kurtenstein

kurtenstein

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:25 AM

So I unscrewed the objective cells and noticed the prisms are glued in place. I figure I'll remove them easily... but I'm not sure how to glue them back without making a mess!!! And what type of glue should I use? I thought of Shoe Goo, perhaps.

#4 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

So I unscrewed the objective cells and noticed the prisms are glued in place. I figure I'll remove them easily... but I'm not sure how to glue them back without making a mess!!! And what type of glue should I use? I thought of Shoe Goo, perhaps.

If they are glued in place you might want to leave them there and simply try cleaning the front and rear surfaces with q-tips. I use lighter fluid as it does not dissolve most paints. take one q-tip, wet one end with fluid, wet the surface to clean, flip the q-tip to the dry side and wipe off the fluid. repeat about 20 times (that is not a joke) with a fresh q-tip and the surface will eventually come clean. 

Edited by Mad Matt, 22 November 2019 - 09:40 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, hallelujah, Foss and 1 other like this

#5 kurtenstein

kurtenstein

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

Good advice! I'll do just that.

#6 949

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:23 AM

Mad Matt (post No. 4)

Yes lighter fluid is truly wonderful stuff , it cleans just about EVERYTHING , I use it all the time.

smile.gif

Cheers.

• Mad Matt likes this

#7 Gumball

Gumball

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:39 PM

Wouldn't alcohol be better for cleaning optics ??

I have heard that water will dissolve some coatings .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics