•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI294MC Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arctic

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

I have the ASI294MC Pro. So far I am very pleased with it. It has exceeded my expectation. I set it at 570 gain and 1 second and I saw the whole Orion Nebula.

It is really that sensitive, especially with cooling. Of course using higher gains reduces color dynamics. I usually use 300 to 350 gain.

I find the cooling very useful, even at short exposures. Dark framing with cooling helps a lot. 

I am nothing but pleased with the camera. I need more practice and I will get better.

• Jim Waters, Rickster, S1mas and 6 others like this

#2 astro1999

astro1999

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:38 AM

Thank you for this report as I am considering this camera. Which camera are you coming from?

I have read posts about issues with the 294 and "blotchiness" that can't be calibrated out easily. It has been difficult to keep track of possible solutions (e.g. offset, flat-darks, firmware, etc.) Has it been overcome? Or maybe for EAA it has never been an issue?

Thanks,
Bryan

#3 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arctic

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

Thank you for this report as I am considering this camera. Which camera are you coming from?

I have read posts about issues with the 294 and "blotchiness" that can't be calibrated out easily. It has been difficult to keep track of possible solutions (e.g. offset, flat-darks, firmware, etc.) Has it been overcome? Or maybe for EAA it has never been an issue?

Thanks,
Bryan

Your welcome Astro1999. I first used Revolution Imager R2 and then Altair GPCAM3 385C.

I never had any blotchiness with the ASI294MC Pro. It looks like that occurred when it first came out.

• donstim likes this

#4 bikerdib

bikerdib

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:12 PM

Another happy 294 PRO user here.  I started with the original Revolution just to dip my toes and quickly realized I wanted better so sold it within a month.  Picked up a Atik Infinity OSC and used it for a couple of years. I saw a lot with that camera but then decided I wanted more resolution and the ability to do some solar system.  So next I went with a 224 cooled.  It gave more detail but then I started wishing for a larger sensor and the 294 came out.  More sensitive sensor and just large enough of a sensor to do most of what I want to see.  It should keep me occupied for a long time.

• Ptarmigan and Seaquel47 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics