•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flat calibration wizard SGP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

Quick question,

How do you add the flats to a sequence and have it happen automatically so that at light panel can fit on a OTA facing straight up? I am reading the manual and it explains that the event occurs before or after a sequence but that would not get the scope into the right position for me. If the flats exposures just start happening, how to you get everything set up?  I am somewhat suprised this is not discussed in the material...  or I did not see it. 

thank you!

#2 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:11 PM

You configure SGP to have your scope/mount parked at the start or end of the sequence and position your light panel to be in the right spot when you are parked.

#3 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:25 AM

assuming you have an ASCOM mount, you can also write a visual basic script that points the telescope where you want it, and then set that script as a pre-run script for the flats target. i put my flat panel on the wall of the 'observatory' and my script points the telescope at it.

rob

• PeteM likes this

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:10 AM

If you want automation, buy a Flatman or the other (I forget name) supported light panel. 

But *you*, have a "manual light box." So loosen the clutches, point the scope vertical, position the clutches, and then run the wizard. 

Personally, I never used the wizard. I just took exposures with each filter and my light panel at 50%, and adjusted till ADU were between 25 and 35K (it's pretty close to 30K now). With your OSC, it should be extremely trivial to find the right exposures and create a sequence that takes the flats *after* you've put the scope facing up and the panel on top. 

• 2ghouls likes this

#5 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:11 AM

I’m with Stelios. Since you don’t have an automatic flat apparatus like the flip flat, there is no reason to worry about your mount automatically going to the correct position. Just loosen the clutches and manually point the scope up, then run the wizard. I only run the wizard once for each equipment profile. SGP then saves the exposure duration to the profile. Any time I want new flats I can just choose file->new sequence with profile and choose the filters I want to shoot flats for. Takes much less time than running the wizard each time, and I don’t have to remember the correct exposure durations for 8 filters.

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:27 AM

There is some confusion in the answers here......Caused by the fact that there are two "Flats" wizards. 

One is the Flats calibration WIzard, which determines the appropriate exposure for a given light source and filter/optical configuration. It need be run only once as long as the equipment does not change. "Equipment includes the brightness of the light source. The equipment profile remembers the  settings. 

The other is the Flats wizard itself. It adds the flat exposure to a current sequence, or to a new sequence at the users request.

To get the Flat Wizard to halt before taking flats, you can put a message and command in the sequencer as a "Pre-Event' option. It will stop the sequence, and show a message such as "Point Scope Up and Place Flat Panel on top." User intervention is required in this case.

To get SGP to use a flat panel unattended, one needs to install and use aa automated  "Flat Box." This is in  the "other Equipment" part of the profile.

Alex

#7 astronate

astronate

Explorer 1

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

A note of caution on automating flat capture using manual light panels and SGP:

If you point the scope straight up and set a light panel on the dew shield, make sure SGP can’t or won’t move the mount. Especially if you have parking the mount as part of the end of sequence activity.

:)

My light panel mostly survived and now I turn the mount off when I am balancing things on top of the scope.

-Nathan
  • pfile and bmhjr like this

#8 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:48 PM

There is some confusion in the answers here......Caused by the fact that there are two "Flats" wizards. 

To get the Flat Wizard to halt before taking flats, you can put a message and command in the sequencer as a "Pre-Event' option. It will stop the sequence, and show a message such as "Point Scope Up and Place Flat Panel on top." User intervention is required in this case.

Alexy

yeah because I am reading this awesome new book I received  thank you very much yesterday but still trying to figure how all of this works because the flat wizard is part of a  sequence which means the flat events will start as a sequence pointed wherever f it is when the sequence begins, but not straight up.  I have not looked through all the literature yet to see it described as above.

-- Is a pre-event option something I can find in the settings, or it is somehow used defined?   I am supposed at how much work it is to get flats done w SGP if someone does not have a flat-box.

would it be better for me just to use Nebulosity, in conjunction with the SGP image statistics button?

THANK YOU ALL>

Anyone else here use SGP for flats with a manual light panel?

Edited by Ballyhoo, 22 November 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#9 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

yeah because I am reading this awesome new book I received  thank you very much yesterday but still trying to figure how all of this works because the flat wizard is part of a  sequence which means the flat events will start as a sequence pointed wherever f it is when the sequence begins, but not straight up.  I have not looked through all the literature yet to see it described as above.

-- Is a pre-event option something I can find in the settings, or it is somehow used defined?   I am supposed at how much work it is to get flats done w SGP if someone does not have a flat-box.

would it be better for me just to use Nebulosity, in conjunction with the SGP image statistics button?

THANK YOU ALL>

Anyone else here use SGP for flats with a manual light panel?

As already mentioned, I use SGP for flats but NOT as part of a sequence (why would I want to take flats as part of a sequence? I will often use several sequences over a night). 

When I take flats, the mount is powered OFF. The flats sequence only connects to camera and FW. None of its business where the scope is pointing and what I have on top of it. 

• 2ghouls likes this

#10 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:03 PM

As already mentioned, I use SGP for flats but NOT as part of a sequence (why would I want to take flats as part of a sequence? I will often use several sequences over a night). 

When I take flats, the mount is powered OFF. The flats sequence only connects to camera and FW. None of its business where the scope is pointing and what I have on top of it. 

I am just not sure how to get SGP to take exposures unless it is part of a sequence.  In Nebuloisty I just click a duration, gain, and click "capture."  SGP does not have something like that. 

#11 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:34 PM

Here’s what I do, I create a sequence for the flats but don’t check the box so it will run.  Once my image capture is done I manually move the scope to vertical with the clutches.  I then set the light panel on the scope wand start the flats sequence.  In A couple of minutes I am done

• Ballyhoo and 2ghouls like this

#12 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

Here’s what I do, I create a sequence for the flats but don’t check the box so it will run.  Once my image capture is done I manually move the scope to vertical with the clutches.  I then set the light panel on the scope wand start the flats sequence.  In A couple of minutes I am done

and you use the flat calibration to know what the exposure times are?

Seems really like unless I have a flat-box that fits on the tube, maybe there is no advantage to SGP over Nebulosity for flats? Nebulosty is just so simple that way.

#13 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:49 PM

>>>>>I am just not sure how to get SGP to take exposures unless it is part of a sequence.

There are two ways to take exposures in SGP.  YOu can use Frame and focus and  save the pics. But that is a pain in the but.

:THe other is to take them in a sequence. When Stelios says he does not take them in a sequence, I think he means he does not just add flats to the target he is shooting. But, taking flats is still part of a sequence. Most people put them in a different target. YOu can make up a target to point straight up if you like. But why? Unless you have a robot to put the screen on the top of your tube, etc. you still have to disturb your sleep. That is why most people just have their rig point to a wall, where the program is made to point, turn on the flat panel, and proceed to take flats.

To mess with pre event actions, look to the first column of the sequencer. YOu will see an "X," a cog, up/down arrows, and a number. Click on the cog for any given row (the one with the flats in your case). Use the pull down menu to call "events" and take it from there.

Alex

• 2ghouls likes this

#14 PeteM

PeteM

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

When I drive to a dark site for imaging and do my flats, I point the OTA up as other have mentioned and tossed the flat panel on top. Then in SGP I use the frame focus to figure out the exposure for the filter(s). From there I take the times and put into the sequence for each filter and let it rip. Pretty simple and quick really once you do it a couple times. I would suggest doing that at home on a cloudy night to practice.

#15 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:31 AM

and you use the flat calibration to know what the exposure times are?

Seems really like unless I have a flat-box that fits on the tube, maybe there is no advantage to SGP over Nebulosity for flats? Nebulosty is just so simple that way.

No.  I used the flats calibration wizard one afternoon to figure out what my flats should be for the camera and then when I create the flats sequence i just enter the exposure time I came up with - it never changes so I only had to figure it out once

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics