•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saw them all last night!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joelcindyclark

joelcindyclark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The foothills of Mt. Rainier, Washington, USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

I was lucky enough to observe all of our planets over the past evening.

Sunset - The gorgeous pairing of Venus and Jupiter, with Saturn just a bit above (naked eye)

Nighttime - I observed Neptune and Uranus through my C14 before heading off to bed. Uranus was especially clear and a beautiful greenish disc.

Sunrise - I was able to find Mars and Mercury in the glow of the sunrise (binoculars first, then naked eye), to the lower left of Spica.

It's not a huge feat, I realize. But still, being able to observe every planet in our solar system over a period of one night, fills me with awe. 

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed, SabiaJD and 22 others like this

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:47 AM

That's it. All done and finished. Nothing really left now shocked.gif shocked.gif .

Going to sell the equipment now lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

• wrnchhead likes this

#3 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• Loc: Clarks Summit, PA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

On to the next challenge,  the Dwarf Planets.

• joelcindyclark likes this

#4 joelcindyclark

joelcindyclark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The foothills of Mt. Rainier, Washington, USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:53 AM

That's it. All done and finished. Nothing really left now shocked.gif shocked.gif .

Going to sell the equipment now lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Actually, I think I'm going to try again tonight...there's just a small bit of time left until Jupiter won't be observable for several months...

#5 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:19 PM

Sunset - The gorgeous pairing of Venus and Jupiter, with Saturn just a bit above (naked eye)

Nighttime - I observed Neptune and Uranus through my C14 before heading off to bed. Uranus was especially clear and a beautiful greenish disc.

Sunrise - I was able to find Mars and Mercury in the glow of the sunrise (binoculars first, then naked eye), to the lower left of Spica.

It's not a huge feat, I realize. But still, being able to observe every planet in our solar system over a period of one night, fills me with awe. 

Doesn't count.

You forget Pluto.gramps.gif

And don't try to hide behind some political unscientific vote of the IAU to justify yourself.....

tongue2.gif

• Jeff B, MikeTahtib and joelcindyclark like this

#6 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

Very nice. Puts things in perspective doesn't it? smile.png

• joelcindyclark and Zorbathegeek like this

#7 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

I love when I can catch a glimpse of a bunch of our planetary neighbors all in the same night. :waytogo:

#8 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:28 PM

In August 2018 I was on the Outer Banks with a friend and her granddaughters. One evening we saw Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and Venus all in a nice apparent arc across the southern sky. It was stunning enough to impress a teen and a pre-teen! I was actually able to talk with them about what we had seen, without getting that look.

Joe

• Jeff B, BoldAxis1967 and joelcindyclark like this

#9 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 27 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

What? How could you miss Earth? Was it below the horizon or hiding behind a large group of trees? 

Perhaps your telescope isn't capable of being pointed "below" the horizon.

Sorry, but I cannot accept your claim of seeing "all" the planets when you missed the most important one. Therefore, I, RalphMeisterTigerMan poo-poo your "all the planets claim".

Therefore as punishment, you must now submit 1000 terrestrial pics. And you must write "I will never again forget Planet Earth" one trillion and one times.

I am very disappointed!

LOL. RalphMeisterTigerMan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics