•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SOLARMAX III 70mm

solar
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mendez

Mendez

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:22 PM

Greetings to all. Recently we received the SOLARMAX III 70mm at the University but we have not been able to observe granulations, just a flat image of the sun. Am I doing something wrong or can it be a telescope defect?

sun nov2019itesmgda.jpg

#2 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

Have you tuned it?  There are at least two ways to tune these things, which makes a huge difference.

• Mendez likes this

#3 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

The image does not appear to be in focus and has a small image scale so a definitive answer is not possible. Do you have any folks nearby who are experienced users of dedicated H alpha solar filters/telescopes? There is a learning curve associated with these instruments and it can be frustrating until one becomes proficient with their idiosyncrasies.

• WebFoot and Mendez like this

#4 Mendez

Mendez

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

We already asked a teacher from the public college who has the SOLARMAX II 60mm version and also to the local planetarium staff but we did not reached any better image than that. 

I wonder if there is a manual for beginners with this stuff. I looked for something like it but nothing yet.

Mendez.

#5 WebFoot

WebFoot

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:42 PM

The scope should have a manual:

https://www.spacecen...MaxIII_REV3.pdf

• Mendez likes this

#6 Mendez

Mendez

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

Thank you WebFoot, I was referring to a manual for fine tuning.

We already got the first answer from MEADE they just copied the same instructions from the manual. Today we are taking it with the local Astronomical Society one member also has the SM II 60mm version, I hope to get better images.

Mendez

#7 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:54 PM

The scope should have a manual:

https://www.spacecen...MaxIII_REV3.pdf

There is a typo on Page 9 of that manual, though. Second column, first paragraph reads "After the SolarMax® III telescope is pointed at the Sun and the image has been focused, rotate the T-Max™ tuner located closest to the Sun in the clockwise direction." It should read "After the SolarMax® III telescope is pointed at the Sun and the image has been focused, rotate the T-Max™ tuner located closest to the Sun in the counterclockwise direction." If you read the first column on Page 9, you will see it has already been rotated in the clockwise direction to put the gap to its minimun ... ie closed ... so it can't be turned any farther clockwise. I've already contacted Meade about this typo and they have confirmed it.

In my opinion, (and I have the 70 mm SolarMax III, double stacked with the 15mm blocking filter) the image is definitely not in focus. If you have a camera, attach it to SolarMax and look at the image on a laptop screen. The larger image will make it a lot easier to see what you are doing ... and to check out any possible defects.

Edited by BeltofOrion, 23 November 2019 - 04:03 PM.

• Mendez likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics