•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for Sources - replacement parts for Orion Telescopes mounts

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

I recently picked up a second hand Orion Skyview Pro mount that had the GOTO kit installed.

Well - it had the goto kit miss-installed, and they had fried the Dec drive motor.  I've taken it apart, tried to adjust, reinstall, but to no avail.  

So - I need a replacement motor - everything else in the kit works (Synscan controller version).

Orion's policy is to only sell replacement parts to original owners.  I'm not starting this to discuss Orion or their policies - just stating why I need help.

So - does anybody known a source, OEM or distributor, for one of these motors?

By the way - I would think that building a database of manufacturer replacement parts for Orion mounts and components would be worth its weight in gold...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1122191248.jpg
  • 1122191249.jpg

#2 Creedence

Creedence

Ranger 4

• Loc: Florida

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:42 PM

This is by far the most comprehensive collection of astrostuff I've ever seen.  If you don't see it on the list, give this guy a call.  Good luck!

https://www.astronom...o.parts.outlet/

#3 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

Hi Thanks - I'm aware of Astro Parts Outlet

I'm looking for new OEM parts replacements - this looks a lot like a standard stepper motor, but I don't know the specs, and Orion won't supply those specs

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:03 PM

Maybe someone in your area that is the original owner of a Skyview Pro Goto mount would be kind enough to order one for you.

Well how about it.  Is there anybody out there that can help?  I'm sure glad I don't own any second hand Orion telescopes, mounts, ect.

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:20 PM

This may just be exactly what you are looking for... https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of other motors available at Amazon but with different specs. Find the one you need.

Miguel   8-)

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

Perhaps you can get the specs from Synta since that is who actually makes the mount. 

#7 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Ben,

There are many steppers out there but I am sure you can buy a replacement for about $15 if you can find a few details about the stepper. Measure the size of the case, these are standardized and called out by NEMA size. Look at the number of wires coming out, this will tell you the winding design, you could have 5,6 or 8 leads. Then it is just a matter of steps/degrees per pulse. Do you have any electronics and microcontroller experience? If so you can build a simple test rig using cheap parts from adafruit.com to determine what the working stepper motor traits are then buy a replacement stepper once you know the number of steps, type and NEMA size. You will also need to measure the shaft and use a pinion puller to get the small pinion gear off.    

This is a big problem with Orion stuff with electronics, the electronics are prone to failure anyway and then you are hosed if purchased used. I had a similar problem with a used Sirius and soon after purchase it needed a hand controller which is why I won't buy anything from Orion with electronics anymore. The original purchaser could not get Orion to sell him a replacement, I had to use my secret back channel to get one and it took months of back and forth even at full retail. 

I love my Orion SVP but it's a 2-axis drive which if it ever fails I can afford to buy new.

Good Luck!

#8 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

Perhaps you can get the specs from Synta since that is who actually makes the mount. 

Good luck with that! 

#9 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

This may just be exactly what you are looking for... https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of other motors available at Amazon but with different specs. Find the one you need.

Miguel   8-)

The buying is easy, the specs are everything and also unknown and Orion has no idea what the specs are, they just sell them.

#10 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:56 PM

This is the motor you need, the only question is the size of the case and the diameter of the spindle which you can easily measure.

Here is a thread I started about finding the motors for my Orion mount... https://www.cloudyni...otors-stalling/

The motors used in the Orion mounts are simple standard stepper motors, nothing exotic.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 22 November 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#11 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:02 PM

Ah- wondered about that gear.

So - I can get this gear puller for $16 shipped

https://www.amazon.c...ustrial&sr=1-10

I don't have the electronics tools to run a test on the motor.  But - there are only so many of them that match up the specs as per the shaft size and wires.  At $13-15 per motor, I can get a few and see which one actually works correctly when hooked up.

I'll do some research, and post back on what I find.

#12 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

On an aside - I've had lots of used gear from Orion.  I love thier mounts, and they have proven to be very dependable for me.  I'd not heasitate to buy a working Orion mount, and to have expectations it would keep working for a long time.

Other manufacturers re-sell parts through other resellers - you can buy many Meade and Celstron replacement parts - I wish Orion did as well.  You could almost build a Losmand G11 from reseller parts that you can buy.  But - it is a bit more expensive.  Lostmandy, Meade and Celstron have a different sales channel - they primarily sell through other vendors.  Orion has always mostly sold direct, so I understand not wanting to be a parts depot.

#13 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

You need to make sure that it is connected up correctly or you may burn the motherboard. All you really need is a voltmeter that can read continuity. I'm sure you can easily find one and it is a great little inexpensive tool to have.

Let me know if you need help with the connections.

Miguel   8-)

#14 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

On an aside - I've had lots of used gear from Orion.  I love thier mounts, and they have proven to be very dependable for me.  I'd not heasitate to buy a working Orion mount, and to have expectations it would keep working for a long time.

Other manufacturers re-sell parts through other resellers - you can buy many Meade and Celstron replacement parts - I wish Orion did as well.  You could almost build a Losmand G11 from reseller parts that you can buy.  But - it is a bit more expensive.  Lostmandy, Meade and Celstron have a different sales channel - they primarily sell through other vendors.  Orion has always mostly sold direct, so I understand not wanting to be a parts depot.

I feel that Orion has hurt themselves by not offering parts except to the original purchaser.  They have turned off past and future purchasers by this practice.  That's one reason they lost a mount sale to Losmandy when I bought my last one.

#15 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

If Skywatcher has an equivalent mount to one from Orion (e.g., Atlas vs. EQ6), then Skywatcher is the place to go for parts because they will sell them.

• PXR-5 and PirateMike like this

#16 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Thanks EFT

The SkyView Pro is the same as the Sky-Watcher EQM-35

https://www.teleskop...nScan-GoTo.html

Haven't found the North American parts depot yet, but $101 - and it looks like it matches exactly...

• PXR-5 likes this

#17 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: Lower Earth Orbit

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

Yes, it's a Skywatcher :)
I'm sure they sell parts.

#18 dandabson

dandabson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

From what I remember there were variations in the SVP mounts.  I know that I have a version that cannot be upgraded with the GOTO kit.  They used to have information on the website with specifics.  Is it possible the original owner tried to install a GOTO kit on one of the earlier versions of the mount?  I got around it by just purchasing the Instelliscope push to system.

#19 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:09 PM

I tried to source the replacement Dec drive, but none are in stock.

So - I have orded a replacement stepper motor as per Miguel's post.  I also have a pinion gear puller on the way.

I'll update this topic when I have the parts in hand.

I ordered this stepper motor - it looks exactly like the one from my Dec drive

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00PNEQI7W

Ben

• PirateMike likes this

#20 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2019 - 08:31 AM

On an aside - I've had lots of used gear from Orion. I love thier mounts, and they have proven to be very dependable for me. I'd not heasitate to buy a working Orion mount, and to have expectations it would keep working for a long time.

Other manufacturers re-sell parts through other resellers - you can buy many Meade and Celstron replacement parts - I wish Orion did as well. You could almost build a Losmand G11 from reseller parts that you can buy. But - it is a bit more expensive. Lostmandy, Meade and Celstron have a different sales channel - they primarily sell through other vendors. Orion has always mostly sold direct, so I understand not wanting to be a parts depot.

You started by saying you didn't want to discuss this. Lol

#21 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:36 PM

For OnStep goto conversions we generally use NEMA 17 steppers with 400 steps/revolution (0.9° steps) and 0.4 to 0.9 amp current requirement. The size of the output gear makes me think that yours is a 1.8° 200 stepper. 

If the motor is burned out, which I doubt, one the coils will be burned out. With an ohm meter you can test the motor and get and idea of its current requirement. However, I feel it's more likely that the Dec driver section of the motor board has failed. Drivers are rated by their amperage capacity. More sophisticated drivers are protected from over draw, but cheaper drivers can't deal with much more than an amp without failing.

This is an OnStep MiniPCB v. 1.2. 

P1016297.JPG

All of the major semiconductors are modular and easily replaced if damaged.

#22 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

Posted 10 December 2019 - 07:44 PM

For OnStep goto conversions we generally use NEMA 17 steppers with 400 steps/revolution (0.9° steps) and 0.4 to 0.9 amp current requirement. The size of the output gear makes me think that yours is a 1.8° 200 stepper. 

If the motor is burned out, which I doubt, one the coils will be burned out. With an ohm meter you can test the motor and get and idea of its current requirement. However, I feel it's more likely that the Dec driver section of the motor board has failed. Drivers are rated by their amperage capacity. More sophisticated drivers are protected from over draw, but cheaper drivers can't deal with much more than an amp without failing.

This is an OnStep MiniPCB v. 1.2. 

attachicon.gif P1016297.JPG

All of the major semiconductors are modular and easily replaced if damaged.

While I am an OnStepper myself this is not what Ben B. was asking about. While I am perfectly comfortable designing, building and coding microprocessors and microcontrollers the majority of the people are not.  

#23 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

I tried to source the replacement Dec drive, but none are in stock.

So - I have orded a replacement stepper motor as per Miguel's post.  I also have a pinion gear puller on the way.

I'll update this topic when I have the parts in hand.

I ordered this stepper motor - it looks exactly like the one from my Dec drive

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00PNEQI7W

Ben

I got the Stepper Motor in - 

Unfortunately, it is not compatible.  The motor is much bigger, and the shaft is way to big.

On the good side of things, my gear puller came in, and it popped the gear right off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1212191749.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics