•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX90 Hand controller periodically dying

SCT
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teebark

teebark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

I've only had this scope about 6 months and have already had to send it back to Meade twice. I have had it out about 6 times since the last return, and everything has been working fine, but the last time I had it out, after syncing, the controller died--the display was blank, and was totally non responsive. Rebooted (turned power off and on). and after about 5 minutes, same thing. Rebooted again, and everything was fine until shutdown about 2 hrs later. Has anyone else experienced this, and did it get worse?

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:14 PM

Could be a bad cable to the HC. Turn everything on then stretch the HC cable out and see if it shuts off. if it does it means there is likely a broken wire in the cable. Also check any power cables you are using.

#3 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

I conclude that its a new LX90 with Audiostar controler. Do you use type C batteries or a 12V power pack via the aux 12V input? I have had problems with the aux input on mine and have attached Velcro to secure the lead to the scope. I am considering mounting a more secure plug for the purpose. When it was send  back previously what was the problems?     

#4 teebark

teebark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:20 AM

I use a 12V power tank. I don't lose power--the controller lights stay on, and the display background is on, but no letters appear. And none of the keys work. The reason I sent it back to Meade was because the motors quit working. That was fixed--no problems with anything else.

#5 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:28 AM

You don't have to lose power for the Audiostar to stop functioning it just needs a short voltage drop. The aux plug is not very reliable when the scope starts moving around and tension is placed on the plug at different angles and at times the connection is less than perfect. Here is a photo of my Velcro support.LX90PWR 001s.jpg  

But having said that, when my scope was under warranty I was not completely happy with my controller and they replaced it, in fact later I was unhappy with its tracking accuracy because it had the wrong final gears in and they replaced the whole telescope!     

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 24 November 2019 - 01:36 AM.

#6 teebark

teebark

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

The velcro support makes sense--I'll try it. Thanks for the feedback.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics