•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New-ish owners of ES 127 FCD100

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 blamkin86

blamkin86

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado/Utah

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

Hi all! I'm wondering if anyone else out there has purchased an Explore Scientific FCD100 127 (CF or aluminum) recently?

I'm having an issue with mine - and while ES Customer Support has been really good, I'd like to check in with another owner.

Thanks in advance.

PS Please don't bash ES. They've been super helpful.

PPS I'm happy to answer questions privately via PM, if you're willing to also keep comments private.

THANKS ALL!

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:11 PM

What issues?

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

I'm with Jim, tough to help you without knowing the issue at hand.

#4 blamkin86

blamkin86

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:47 PM

It's a focuser issue. Basically, look under the bottom of the focuser at the 4 allen head bolts and see whether they're tight or not.

I'm working with ES to resolve the issue, I'm sure they'll take care of me.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has it or not. I appreciate your offer of help.

Edited by blamkin86, 22 November 2019 - 06:49 PM.

#5 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

So, did you get this issue resolved?

#6 blamkin86

blamkin86

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:06 AM

ES quickly supplied a replacement focuser.

Unfortunately it had an even bigger defect than the original. There’s four drilled and tapped holes on the bottom to hold the gear assembly on the focuser. Only two holes existed.

Technically this isn’t a big deal as the gear seems to work just fine. But at the price point the scope should be right.

I’ve sent more pix to ES on Friday and am awaiting a response.

Any advice is appreciated. I do expect they’ll resolve the issue. That said I’m surprised they sent me a second focuser with the same problem.

Edited by blamkin86, 25 November 2019 - 05:07 AM.

#7 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

Their focusers often seem to be problematic.  I hope they get it right for you.  I’m thinking about buying that scope but I don’t want to have to deal with problems.  

• leviathan and Auburn80 like this

#8 blamkin86

blamkin86

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:49 PM

Update: they are replacing the entire scope. They also said they’d take a look at it before sending it my way.

I can imagine this going very differently so I’m quite pleased. I’ll update this thread when I get the scope.

#9 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

That’s good. You’re not the first buyer to have issues with the focuser but it’s good that they’re taking care of the problem.

#10 Ballyhoo  Happy Birthday!

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:52 AM

Their focusers often seem to be problematic.  I hope they get it right for you.  I’m thinking about buying that scope but I don’t want to have to deal with problems.  

I really love my FCD100.

Just upgraded from the ES 127 ED FCD1 to the FCD100 model and not looken a back.

I think the better glass pays dividends.

https://www.astrobin...mkmn/B/?nc=user

Attached Thumbnails

• IC 405.jpg

• stevew and niteskystargazer like this

#11 Ballyhoo  Happy Birthday!

Ballyhoo

Skylab

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:07 AM

one thing I am not sure of is whether there is a pdf manual that covers the hex focuser. I cannot find how to lock the hex down.  Yes there is a single bold underneath the focuser carriage but I thought there would be more to lock it down.  I am going get the rigel autofocuser or the ZWO EAF not to have to worry but I would appreciate a lock down like was on the  rack n pinion model from the ES 127 ED I had prior. 

#12 ris242

ris242

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

I really love my FCD100.

Just upgraded from the ES 127 ED FCD1 to the FCD100 model and not looken a back.

I think the better glass pays dividends.

https://www.astrobin...mkmn/B/?nc=user

Any reason why you don't remove the green?

I know I've overdone the contrast and lost a little data, but making it a bit blacker and taking the green out - I think it does improve the image.

green.jpg

• tog, niteskystargazer, Ballyhoo and 1 other like this

#13 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 28 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

I keep meaning to tighten those hidden allen bolts that like to come loose and put some non permanent thread locker on them to get the small side to side wiggle in my focuser to go away.

Overall zero regrets with my scope.

Once you get a scope finalized and get it registered put a note 120 days later on your calendar to email them and get the optics report on your scope.  You have to wait 120 days before you get it.  There is a thread on here where we are posting them to get an idea of average quality though the report isn't a very good indicator of that by itself.

#14 John Turley

John Turley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sheffield, England

Posted 28 November 2019 - 06:51 PM

I keep meaning to tighten those hidden allen bolts that like to come loose and put some non permanent thread locker on them to get the small side to side wiggle in my focuser to go away.

Overall zero regrets with my scope.

Once you get a scope finalized and get it registered put a note 120 days later on your calendar to email them and get the optics report on your scope.  You have to wait 120 days before you get it.  There is a thread on here where we are posting them to get an idea of average quality though the report isn't a very good indicator of that by itself.

I haven't had a problem, at least as far as I am aware, with the allen bolts coming loose on mine, do you know what size allen key I would need to tighten the bolts.

John 

#15 Ballyhoo  Happy Birthday!

Ballyhoo

Skylab

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:35 PM

I know I've overdone the contrast and lost a little data, but making it a bit blacker and taking the green out - I think it does improve the image.

green.jpg

green.jpg

i think subjectively I did not recognize the green

#16 PPPPPP42

PPPPPP42

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:45 AM

I haven't actually verified that they came loose as opposed to just being loose from the factory but apparently from what I have read things can be sorted out to work much better, I am just rather lazy and it wasn't effecting the image.  This shows some of the screws.

https://www.cloudyni...-problemsfixes/

#17 John Turley

John Turley

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sheffield, England

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:47 PM

I haven't had a problem, at least as far as I am aware, with the allen bolts coming loose on mine, do you know what size allen key I would need to tighten the bolts.

John 

I spoke too soon, the other day I noticed that the rotating focuser had become very stiff, and made a bit of a grinding noise when you tried to rotate it, also it appeared loose.

Hopefully I have now solved the problem by applying a bit of WD40, and tightening up same allen head bolts on the rotating ring (not the same bolts that the original poster referred to).

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics