•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGEM AVX for Solar and aP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 twjs

twjs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NWNJ

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

I posted this question in another thread but it is too deep in the page count and has no hits. So, I'm just getting a start in imaging. I'll be starting with solar using a Lunt 80 Ha and a ZWO ASI 183. My concern is the mount, the CGEM AVX. I'll use it to start with but can I expect any isuea imaging with it?

TIA

#2 Becomart

Becomart

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:32 PM

The AVX will work fine with the scope you’re planning on using. However, it is a budget mount so expect to find glitches in performance, backlash issues (luck of the draw here, some models are worse than others) and a degree of stiffness in both axis making it more difficult to balance. It will definitely get the job done but not reliably and consistently. 

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

I was just out today with my Lunt LS50 on a Celestron AVX mount taking some images of the sun (see the results here on CN). I also use the AVX with my 80mm Stellarvue (for lunar and DSO imaging) and the mount is fine for those kinds of tasks (particularly planetary and lunar/solar). In fact, the AVX is what I typically use with my Celestron C6 to do planetary work (see animation of the transit of Mercury using the AVX).

That said, I don't often try to use the AVX for long exposure or narrow band work on DSOs. The latter can be done at certain image scales (short camera lenses) but don't expect to do high-resolution, long-exposure, narrow-band imaging of DSOs on the AVX without suffering some grief an/or compromises.

#4 twjs

twjs

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NWNJ

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:09 AM

thanks much!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics