•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would any of these three options be good as a viewing chair for my XT8?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East UK, Greater London, Bottle 5

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

Hi fellow stargazers...I wonder if I could get your various opinions on three options I have picked as an adjustable viewing chair for my sessions with my XT8. I'm 44 and whilst not physically impaired in any way, I find that tensing and leaning over my Dobsonian for a few hours does leave me in a fair amount of lower back pain by the time I come back inside. In another one of my threads, a member suggested a chair to help and a quick Google search has given me various threads here and on SGL linking to very expensive options...I can't really pay a couple of hundred quid/bucks at the moment and wondered if these would help at all...Don't laugh about the stool, I know it may seem silly, but its easily adjustable and I really only need something to take the weight off my feet/back for a while while staring at M31 or whatever..

To be honest, even though I know I should be looking at my DSO's for 20 mins or so to really start seeing the detail, I find that I give up far quicker because I'm uncomfortable, so really, anything would help.

What do you guys/gals think? These are as much as I can spend right now.

1: https://www.amazon.c...OKL5A1OLE&psc=1

2: https://www.amazon.c...OKL5A1OLE&psc=1

3: https://www.amazon.c...OKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Thanks for reading. In case this info helps, I'm 44, 5 foot 10 and normal size for my height and these were suggested in another thread, but more than I'm willing to spend (yes, I know I'm talking about my health and comfort, but I get so little time with y scope that I'd like a cheaper option for now)

http://store.smartas...y.com/obch.html

EDIT #2: This has also been suggested which is similar to one of my options and the images show the reviewer using it for his scope.

https://www.amazon.c...ving+chair&th=1

I'd still love to hear what you guys think or recommend, although it does seem as if this question has been asked to death. Should have read more before posting. Sorry....

Cheers

Edited by Rocklobster, 22 November 2019 - 07:07 PM.

#2 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

Just to apologize for posting this without doing better research into existing thread on the same subject. 

It seems that all three options would be fine for m setup...so, I'll change what I'd like to get opinions on. Forget about whether they would work, my question is which option would you choose to get? 

Cheers

#3 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

The one under edit #2.

#4 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

Of your three options, I would go with the first option.  It is similar to a standard observing chair and seems to be stable.  When I owned an XT8, I used an adjustable stool similar to #2.  It worked, but the wheels could be a pain when observing in grass. 

There's another option you may not have considered, build a stand to raise the scope up.  I had a box built with some scrap 2x10 and a plywood top, it raised the scope high enough that I didn't have to bend nearly as much.

#5 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

The first two should do alright.  The prices are good.  The second one will be most comfortable. That third one will rock and roll.  Doesn't seem very stable.

#6 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

Have you seen this one...

https://www.firstlig...ving-chair.html

#7 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Viking 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

I use a cheap, fold-up, card table chair and it works fine for me.  I'm 5' 11".  I have no desire for anything else.

#8 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

If you want one that is easily and highly adjustable then look for one like Sky Muse recommends in post 6, or the one under your EDIT #2. If you want the chair to easily adjust to the height of your eyepiece then #1 is out of the question, it is not quickly adjustable.

Edited by outofsight, 22 November 2019 - 08:20 PM.

#9 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:32 PM

I like the first two. You might also want to consider a DIY observing chair. A denver chair can be built for about $10 and an hour of your time. Other chairs can be built easy enough but might require more tools and time.

• havasman likes this

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:50 AM

I use a Starbound chair. They have a wide range of heights, they're super sturdy,  andvquick and easy to adjust. The Skywatcher chair is basically a copy of the Starbound.  

Looking at the chairs.

#1:  difficult to adjust the height. A bolt must be removed. Easy adjustment is necessary at night when moving from object to object.

#2:  The wheels will be a problem on anything but a flat, smooth, hard surface. It doesn't go low enough.

#3:  Not stable, doesn't go low enough.

Edit #1 and #2:   These can work.

I'd buy the Skywatcher.. I've had my Starbound for nearly 20 years. Its the only piece of Astro equipment I use every night.

Jon

#11 Goodchild

Goodchild

Apollo

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

If you have a hard surface then I would go with #2. 

#12 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:53 PM

It depends on the surface you are setting up on.,With my Z8 an office chair is good in that it is easy to adjust and goes up an down enough.,I got it for $6 at the thriftstore.,I observe from my deck.,and like being able to roll and swivel.,and be comfy.,not sure if it would be good or bad in grass.,good luck.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190729_194743.jpg
  • 20130530_195948.jpg.jpg

• Sky Muse likes this

#13 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

Of your three options, I would go with the first option.  It is similar to a standard observing chair and seems to be stable.  When I owned an XT8, I used an adjustable stool similar to #2.  It worked, but the wheels could be a pain when observing in grass. 

There's another option you may not have considered, build a stand to raise the scope up.  I had a box built with some scrap 2x10 and a plywood top, it raised the scope high enough that I didn't have to bend nearly as much.

Thanks for your reply. To be fair, I never go on glass, so with that in mind, would you recommend option 2? Other than the glass, was it useful? As for a platform, I'm not sure that would help much as I move my XT8 a lot during my sessions, to get in the best viewing position for a target. I can appreciate that I would have to bend less, so, maybe I will try it with something I have.

Thanks again for your suggestions 

Cheers

#14 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:33 PM

You really should investigate the Denver chair suggested above. They're very simple and fully as functional as the astro specific commercial chairs.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#15 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:40 PM

Have you seen this one...

https://www.firstlig...ving-chair.html

I have, unfortunately it's more than I wish to spend on a viewing chair right now. But thanks for the reply.

Sent from my N10 using Tapatalk

#16 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:40 PM

I use a cheap, fold-up, card table chair and it works fine for me. I'm 5' 11". I have no desire for anything else.

Good to know. Thanks mate.

#17 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:41 PM

If you want one that is easily and highly adjustable then look for one like Sky Muse recommends in post 6, or the one under your EDIT #2. If you want the chair to easily adjust to the height of your eyepiece then #1 is out of the question, it is not quickly adjustable.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

#18 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

I like the first two. You might also want to consider a DIY observing chair. A denver chair can be built for about $10 and an hour of your time. Other chairs can be built easy enough but might require more tools and time.

Much as I'd love to build one, I know that will never happen. Unfortunately. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Cheers

• Hugh Peck and havasman like this

#19 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:20 PM

Much as I'd love to build one, I know that will never happen. Unfortunately. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Cheers

DIY isn't for everybody, but for some it's a good way to pass the time when bored. Especially on a cold rainy day.

• Hugh Peck likes this

#20 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:31 AM

I have, unfortunately it's more than I wish to spend on a viewing chair right now. But thanks for the reply.

It is a bit more chunky than the others.  I have this one, and it's exactly the same as the Vestil CPRO-600 within your fourth link...

StarDust2.jpg

It's rather heavy for its size, but it is supportive.  I dust it off, take it outdoors once in a while, and to keep track of it.  The Vestil CPRO-800LP weighs a little less, within your last link. 

The perching-chair within your first link looks interesting.  Reviews seem to be mixed, as to the seat.  The seat could be improved, replaced; a bit of DIY. 

The chair within your second link is reminding of a musician's, a drummer's, chair, and those have been used for observing.

I've looked within the websites of all of the astronomy vendors there in the UK, and all they have is the Sky-Watcher chair.  It's as though they're saying that that's the one one needs, and therefore no need to offer any others.

#21 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:21 AM

Truth be told, with my smaller telescopes, when I sit before them, I sit in this, and as I have for quite a few seasons...

observing chair.jpg

...a ubiquitous, plastic, garden chair, and in dire need of cleaning.  And no, I don't mind sitting in it like that, as long as it's dry, although it's wet within that image.

However, I don't know how well that might suit for an 8" Newtonian-Dobson.

#22 fred1diver

fred1diver

Explorer 1

• Loc: Gatineau, Qc, Canada

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:50 AM

I made a Denver chair and I just love it, added a hunting cushion on it and now I have a comfy and toasty bum

#23 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

Truth be told, with my smaller telescopes, when I sit before them, I sit in this, and as I have for quite a few seasons...

attachicon.gif observing chair.jpg

...a ubiquitous, plastic, garden chair, and in dire need of cleaning. And no, I don't mind sitting in it like that, as long as it's dry, although it's wet within that image.

However, I don't know how well that might suit for an 8" Newtonian-Dobson.

Beautiful. Is it for sale?

• Sky Muse likes this

#24 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

Beautiful. Is it for sale?

Yes, and at your local lawn & garden department or store.

#25 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

Yes, and at your local lawn & garden department or store.

But will theirs be in as fine condition as yours? lol.gif

• Sky Muse and outofsight like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics