•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another NGC281! ASI071 + L-Enhance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

This was my first long exposure attempt at any object. I must be doing something wrong because, there is just not a lot of depth for 17 hours of exposure. It's from my backyard redzone, so not a dark site but I used my L-Enhance filter to try and compensate for the LP. I was still on a gain zero kick with my camera which I am now confirming is  too low. Oh welll...lesson learned.

This is 17 hours of 3 minute subs. AT115EDT refractor with At 0.8X reducer and L-Enhance filter. Gain zero, 0deg. C cooling.

cs...John

Full size link on AB -  https://astrob.in/ttt0rt/0/

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC281stackedC.jpg

• Mert, PeteM, elmiko and 5 others like this

#2 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

Nice John, but for this filter and camera, I find gain 90 and 180sec sufficient to get a lot of data while keeping the stars under control.

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

John, I use a gain of 200 with the ASI071 camera and the stars still show a lot of color.  I started with  a gain of 100 and found that was too low for my equipment.

#4 brettkoz

brettkoz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hesperia, Michigan

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:31 AM

As I said in the other post, with my 071 I use gain 50 for broadband and gain 90 for narrower stuff, including my lenhance (which I love and am using to finish my own ngc 281 project tonight). I do suggest boosting your gain, especially with that filter.

#5 John Miele

John Miele

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:13 PM

I definitely plan to boost the gain. I gathered the data for these images  and a few other ones before I processed anything and realized I was underexposing at the zero gain. I should hav epaid more attention to the ADU values in my subs. Now that I'm finally processing the images I'm stuck with what I collected. I like a 50/90 gain approaches and maybe a bit more wit the L-Enhance on there. I hope to get more data ext week!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics