•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star alignment after SharpCap ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmckow91

cmckow91

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Monroe, la

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:26 PM

Is star alignment needed after polar alignment in SharpCap? I’ve been doing a star alignment with my mount controller after SharpCap alignment. I was told I didn’t need to but didn’t think that was right. I image with astrophotography tool and guide with PhD. Can someone give me some insight on this? Thanks!

#2 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:32 PM

Hard to answer without information about your mount and how you want to use it. 

Generally, if you want to use your mount controller or a planetarium program for GoTo, then “yes” you need to do a star alignment. If you plan to use platesolving to acquire objects, then “no” you don’t need a star alignment. 

#3 cmckow91

cmckow91

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:53 PM

So generally speaking if I started using a planetarium program for GoTo. I would still do my star alignment then go to an object in the planetarium and then hit sync basically?

#4 cmckow91

cmckow91

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:55 PM

But for plate solving that be a program like AstroTortilla?

#5 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:16 PM

My workflow, which works just fine is

PA in sharpcap

Star alignment with HC ( I "cheat" and use a Starsense)

Issue go-to's with either Cartes duCiel or CPWI software

Finalize my object centering, if necessary, using plate solving.

Sharpcap's most functional plate solving requires that  the mount be within 15 degrees of the target.   If it finds a solution, it moves the mount to center the object.

I believe you can do blind plate solving in SC, ( that is, no prior star alignment) but I suspect it takes much longer, and IIRC, sharp cap will not center the object after doing a blind plate solve.  I've never done this. 

Read about SC plate solving here:  https://www.sharpcap...s/plate-solving

john

Edited by nic35, 22 November 2019 - 11:17 PM.

#6 brettkoz

brettkoz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hesperia, Michigan

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:28 PM

I do polar alignment and slew to a bright star for focusing, plate solve and go from there. Eqmod is great, I have never used the hand controller for my eq6.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics