•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar evolution 8 battery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rivertrolley2

Rivertrolley2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

Anyone having issues charging the battery ? Mine flashes rapidly when plugged in and does not seem to charge the battery. I have contacted Celestron and they are sending a new charger.

Edited by Rivertrolley2, 23 November 2019 - 12:00 AM.

#2 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:58 AM

Rapidly flashing means needs charging. It is then a common Evo’ fault that the charger plug doesn’t connect cleanly within the socket. A pair of pliers might have fixed it. Be warned that if the issue is the Evo’ socket a new charger might perform the same. You might then have two good chargers and simply need a fractional adjustment in the socket,

#3 Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

My used Evo did that when I used the wrong charger (The original owner gave me his laptop charger by mistake)  When I got the correct charger, it worked fine, but it still will not charge properly (rapid flashes) when I hook it to a 12v car battery connection.

#4 Jay6821

Jay6821

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:15 PM

I have had zero problems charging my Evolution 8 with the charger that came with it.

#5 Rivertrolley2

Rivertrolley2

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:05 AM

So I received a new charger today and it is now charging .
  • outofsight likes this

#6 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:41 AM

So I received a new charger today and it is now charging .

Gently squeeze the connector of the old charger with pliers and you might find that both chargers work. A poor connection is a very common problem. But it's good to hear your problem is resolved. 

One other problem with early Evolution chargers is that the United Kingdom adapter plug was only snapped together during assembly. If it ever came apart when extracting it from the mains socket (as mine did), it reveals a live 240v pin. I exchanged mine for a new charger that had the same fault. I then purchased an independent charger that met relevant UK standards.

Regulations on Chinese imported electrical goods into the UK have been strengthened, but be cautious about any Chinese chargers. I recently bought an electric steamer (cooking) that had no earth connection in the plug hence failed to meet UK standards. Amazon UK were horrified that it had slipped through their scrutiny (but it had been sold/despatched by the Chinese importer vendor).

Edited by Noah4x4, 03 December 2019 - 04:43 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics