•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX90 DEC Issues?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

If you did not load a  patch with StarPatch software it cannot be, There is no patch for A4S2 firmware but they did one for the latest A4S4 firmware. You can download what you need from:

https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 29 November 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#27 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

If you did not load a  patch with StarPatch software it cannot be, There is no patch for A4S2 firmware but they did one for the latest A4S4 firmware. You can download what you need from:

https://www.stargps.ca/downloads.htm

Well, hopefully Meade will do that if that's the issue; I shipped it back to them today

#28 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Well, hopefully Meade will do that if that's the issue; I shipped it back to them today

No! they will absolutely not do that : StarGPS has nothing to do with Meade : they make GPS modules for  telescopes that does not have GPS. They started to make patches available for Meade scopes to :

a) Get their GPS to work with a Meade scope.

b) To keep their customers happy they started to remedy bugs that is in the Meade firmware because if there is a problem after you have installed a StarGPS you are going to blame StarGPS not Meade!

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 29 November 2019 - 11:22 PM.

#29 MikeBY

MikeBY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:34 PM

I hope they will go through the scope you've sent them thoroughly and figure out what's wrong with it.  You may not get clear answers from them, but hopefully they will inform you what they did and/or replaced.

Thanks for your clarifications. I brought up the  clock in terrestrial mode because you made mention of allowing for clock timing. You should be looking only at Alt/Az and those values will not change.  The Spin test is

completly valid, but you must do it correctly. The starting point must be approached from one direction only and the scope must continue only in that direction for 360 degrees for the test to be valid.  Otherwise the slop in the 

drive train will become part of the calculation and you won't get the expected results. It shouldn't matter which way you go, just don't change directions. 

I hope Meade will get your scope back to you in good working order quickly,

Clear Skies,

Michael

PS, the software patch Piet refers to is a third party that has developed patching and enhancements to the Autostar software that correct some deficiencies and provides enhancements in some areas including the patching process itself.

M

#30 Blackbelt76

Blackbelt76

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

I hope they will go through the scope you've sent them thoroughly and figure out what's wrong with it.  You may not get clear answers from them, but hopefully they will inform you what they did and/or replaced.

Thanks for your clarifications. I brought up the  clock in terrestrial mode because you made mention of allowing for clock timing. You should be looking only at Alt/Az and those values will not change.  The Spin test is

completly valid, but you must do it correctly. The starting point must be approached from one direction only and the scope must continue only in that direction for 360 degrees for the test to be valid.  Otherwise the slop in the 

drive train will become part of the calculation and you won't get the expected results. It shouldn't matter which way you go, just don't change directions. 

I hope Meade will get your scope back to you in good working order quickly,

Clear Skies,

Michael

PS, the software patch Piet refers to is a third party that has developed patching and enhancements to the Autostar software that correct some deficiencies and provides enhancements in some areas including the patching process itself.

M

Thanks Michael;

I will keep all posted; and I too hope Meade will reveal the problem to me, though I am not hopeful in that.

Manufacturers, if they do have a problem; rarely will let the customer know what it is for fear of bad publicity.

Obviously, if they begin to see many problems; eventually they will admit the error.

I did learn Meade has their scopes built in Mexico. I suspect a QC error at this point. Time will tell as this is my 2nd LX90 inside 60 days.

The first one was worse. It eventually would slew so far, I had to turn off the power before my finder scope was destroyed.

The 1st LX90 worked great my first night out as it slewed to the first alignment star quite close.

This ^^^ is why I know it's not user error as subsequent setup the very next night was no different; (i.e) I did nothing different.

You can probably sense my complete frustration in all this.

I purchased the scope with great expectations.

My first scope was almost 40 years ago, a 8" Newt on a basic clock driven GEM.

With it I learned to star hop; read setting circles and even did some long exposure AP with film, hand guiding for sometimes as long as one hour ++.

There was no stacking software in those days.

So my frustration stems from NOT wanting to use setting circles any more. wink.gif NOT wanting to star hop for DSO's.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much in thinking a $1,800 scope would produce miracles smile.gif

Had I researched more prior to my purchase, I would probably have bypassed the Meade LX90.

I've read many complaints about this scope since I began researching this problem; some complaints here on CN.

My intent is not to bash Meade. On the positive side, I find the optics on this 8" outstanding.

I probably won't see the scope again for at least 3 weeks, though I prefer they fix this one issue rather than send another defective scope.

As far a Meade CS; there are one or two individuals there who are helpful (if) you can get to them.

One guy at Meade CS tried to tell me a 6-10 degree pointing error was within engineering specs.

I almost choked on my coffee when I heard him say that. I asked him "Sir, do you have any idea what a 6 degree pointing error equates to in

the night sky when looking thru a EP with a AFOV of .7 degrees?"

If this scope was no longer under warranty I would be unafraid to tear it down and figure it out myself.

I have plenty of electrical testing equip here including reading digital pulse values.

I found it odd the inspection stations (metrology, optics etc..) were ALL signed off by the same QC inspector; including final inspection.

If Meade tells me what they found; I'll keep you all posted.

I appreciate all the advice and info given me here.

I've never believed this scope should be this difficult to setup and align for acceptable results.

I feel sorry for newbies who can not yet even ID stars for alignment verification if they purchase this GoTo.

It's tuff enough if one has alignment issues; not knowing the night sky probably magnifies the problem 10 fold.

Good seeing to all!

Edited by Blackbelt76, 30 November 2019 - 06:48 AM.

#31 MikeBY

MikeBY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:13 AM

Thanks Michael;

I will keep all posted; and I too hope Meade will reveal the problem to me, though I am not hopeful in that.

Manufacturers, if they do have a problem; rarely will let the customer know what it is for fear of bad publicity.

Obviously, if they begin to see many problems; eventually they will admit the error.

I did learn Meade has their scopes built in Mexico. I suspect a QC error at this point. Time will tell as this is my 2nd LX90 inside 60 days.

The first one was worse. It eventually would slew so far, I had to turn off the power before my finder scope was destroyed.

The 1st LX90 worked great my first night out as it slewed to the first alignment star quite close.

This ^^^ is why I know it's not user error as subsequent setup the very next night was no different; (i.e) I did nothing different.

You can probably sense my complete frustration in all this.

I purchased the scope with great expectations.

My first scope was almost 40 years ago, a 8" Newt on a basic clock driven GEM.

With it I learned to star hop; read setting circles and even did some long exposure AP with film, hand guiding for sometimes as long as one hour ++.

There was no stacking software in those days.

So my frustration stems from NOT wanting to use setting circles any more. wink.gif NOT wanting to star hop for DSO's.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much in thinking a $1,800 scope would produce miracles smile.gif

Had I researched more prior to my purchase, I would probably have bypassed the Meade LX90.

I've read many complaints about this scope since I began researching this problem; some complaints here on CN.

My intent is not to bash Meade. On the positive side, I find the optics on this 8" outstanding.

I probably won't see the scope again for at least 3 weeks, though I prefer they fix this one issue rather than send another defective scope.

As far a Meade CS; there are one or two individuals there who are helpful (if) you can get to them.

One guy at Meade CS tried to tell me a 6-10 degree pointing error was within engineering specs.

I almost choked on my coffee when I heard him say that. I asked him "Sir, do you have any idea what a 6 degree pointing error equates to in

the night sky when looking thru a EP with a AFOV of .7 degrees?"

If this scope was no longer under warranty I would be unafraid to tear it down and figure it out myself.

I have plenty of electrical testing equip here including reading digital pulse values.

I found it odd the inspection stations (metrology, optics etc..) were ALL signed off by the same QC inspector; including final inspection.

If Meade tells me what they found; I'll keep you all posted.

I appreciate all the advice and info given me here.

I've never believed this scope should be this difficult to setup and align for acceptable results.

I feel sorry for newbies who can not yet even ID stars for alignment verification if they purchase this GoTo.

It's tuff enough if one has alignment issues; not knowing the night sky probably magnifies the problem 10 fold.

Good seeing to all!

My experience is like your's .. or worse.  They are less than 30 mins away by car from me. I ordered a tripod.. they said they didn't have it in stock and would need to get it sent from Mexico, so they couldn't will-call it.  The Tripod ended up shipping that same day from their local warehouse, charged me $25 to ship from a place I drive by on a regular basis. 

Poor experiences with customer service 18 years ago.  I love the optics quality.. at least on my example.. but not anything  else about dealing with Meade. 

Really poor support members and operation, although it seems some areas, like shipping are very quick.

I've also gotten bad info on the phone. Stuff I know cannot be correct. Instructions that don't work.  It's really hit or miss.

Fingers all crossed and stuff... LOL  and at least thew weather is crap right now...

Look forward to hearing further how this goes.

Michael

Meade 10" LX200GPS UHTC

Meade 8" LX OTA on Celestron Advanced GT GEM

Meade 8"  Lightswitch

Celestron 60mm Solar Telescope

Meade ETX-60 

Canon EOS Rebel XT (Astro Modified)

Meade DSI ii, DSI IV

Celestron NexImage Solar System Imager

Logetech WebCam

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics