•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT 102ED + ES82 30mm or a SW 100ED

refractor
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

Congratulations! You have made a terrific purchase and I suspect you will appreciate your SW 100ED every bit as much as I do mine. Some folks have commented on the focuser, I will say it is perfectly serviceable and only needs a bit of adjustment. Here are two sites that will clue you in on adjusting and "supercharging" your focuser:

https://teleskop-aus...g_justieren.pdf

https://www.astronom...rayford-focuser

These are not difficult operations, do what you think you need to if you think your focuser needs tweaking. Have fun!

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Thank you, Brian.  I'm not afraid of getting inside that focuser for a tune-up...so thanks for the links.

CS

Jason

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

It'll be fine;  It's all in the balancing.

And thanks! I'm glad I chose this (modified) option.  Also, I'm sure the SW's focuser will be just fine for me to begin with.

CS

jason

You will be mounting this on a TW-1?

If so, based on my experience with a shorter but heavier 4 inch, the problem is not balance, it's a lack of rigidity which leads to vibration, wobble and overly long settling times, it may never settle..With a scope easily capable of over 200x, a solid mount is important. 

The Focusers are quite decent and with a bit of adjustment will handle heavy eyepieces like the 31 mm Nagler.

Jon

• BKBrown, The Luckster and nicoledoula like this

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

Thank you, Brian.  I'm not afraid of getting inside that focuser for a tune-up...so thanks for the links.

CS

Jason

Jason:

The first link describes the adjustment of the preload for the Synta two speed. That should be all that's necessary.

The second link describes making sure the draw tube flat is flat. That was in issue early on with the single speeds when they came out in 2003 but I have not found that to be an issue with the two speeds.

These can be very smooth and yet capable Focusers. They're far better than the oldvrack and pinion Focusers you mentioned earlier.

Jon

• BKBrown, The Luckster and nicoledoula like this

#29 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

You will be mounting this on a TW-1?

If so, based on my experience with a shorter but heavier 4 inch, the problem is not balance, it's a lack of rigidity which leads to vibration, wobble and overly long settling times, it may never settle..With a scope easily capable of over 200x, a solid mount is important. 

The Focusers are quite decent and with a bit of adjustment will handle heavy eyepieces like the 31 mm Nagler.

Jon

Yes, and I'm not worried.  Yes, the SW 100 f/9 is long, but it also weighs the same as my ST120; accessories, rings, etc.  Longer tube, different center of gravity, balance.  I have no issues with the ST120 on the Twilight 1.  Yes, the 120 is shorter, but the SAME weight.  Balance.  Heck, I can get the ST 120 with all accessories to work on my Twilight Nano!!!

I also have anti-vibration suppression pads which I use all of the time, and these help enormously with all of my setups.

I am not worried at all.  Besides, If there is a mount issue with the SW 100, I'll just get a more robust Alt-Az mount.  I dislike EQ...

However, thank you ALL for your concerns and warnings and EXPERIENCE, this is great information that perhaps will serve OTHERS in their quest for knowledge regarding the aforementioned telescopes, mounts and accessories.

CS

jason

Edited by The Luckster, 27 November 2019 - 03:36 PM.

#30 punk35

punk35

Apollo

• Loc: Adrian Michigan

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

Everyone’s definition of “ acceptable stability” is different. As an example, Jond is happy with 100 and 120ED’s on a CG4. My 4” refractors are perfect for my SVP, but when I put a 120/8.3 achro on it, it was to wiggly for me personally. If you’re happy with your current scopes on the mounts you have now, I’m sure you’ll be good with the ED100 on it also. 

• Steve Cox, The Luckster and Jond105 like this

#31 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:32 AM

The SW 100 arrived last night, but it's rainy out here and will be for some days to come.

I was lucky enough to sneak it in the house, and secretly break down and store the shipping box...wink.gif

Funny thing is, "I WILL GET CAUGHT", always do...

Anyway, I look forward to first light and will report back with my initial amateur impressions.

CS--not here

jason

• punk35, BKBrown and Jond105 like this

#32 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

Un-boxing, initial impressions and some weight testing.

First light is still off here, but I finally got to explore and examine my new SW 100ED f/9.

All components in the carry case were properly sealed, save for one lose item: The focuser lock screw.  8x50 finder, nicer than anticipated.  I was not going to use the finder, but I think I'll try it out, at least.  2" diagonal seems nice-enough, and has compression rings for both 2" and 1.25".  I'll try it out.  Opitical tube is free of blemishes, and free of internal debris chunks.  There is some small fuzzies within the tube, typical in my opinion (and a lot less than in my other scopes...).  Glass surfaces seem to free of issue, all looks very good.  I'll give the oculars a spin or two, just to see.  However, the SW 5mm I assume is directly related to my BST 5mm Starguider...Still, a nice ocular.  Tube and rings all seemed well, and as a unit as a whole, very nice and very new.  Not a return.

Next, testing the "dreaded" focuser.  (Now keep in mind where I come from in regards to all of the telescopes I have or had...)

Smooth, all of the way in and all of the way out; smooth.  No tightening, no grinding nor any looseness.  Wow, the focusing tube does not "wiggle" like all of my other refractor focuser tubes.  This SW focuser unit is not loose, very snug but does not bind...all of the way in and out.  So far, this is the BEST focuser I all ever used at this point.

Okay, time to add some ocular and diagonal weight, along with some dangerous angles (indoors and over a lot of pillows...).  I started off big: Orion 2" Twist-lock with ES82 30mm 2" ocular.  There is no need to go long with my results; rock-solid with no looseness, grinding, coming lose, slippage and at very disturbing angles and focus lengths.  I even shook the rig.  Simply put; I could not coax any form of issue with the SW focuser while bearing a hefty load at all.  It's as if the tube, focuser, diagonal and ocular were one solid unit.  I have never experienced that sensation before with any of my rigs I have used.  Now, I am not too thrilled with the two inch focuser set screws with NO compression ring, but It ain't a deal breaker for me, and the set screws did lock down a weighty load... As of this point, I see no reason whatsoever to disassemble the focuser for a tune-up.  It is perfect for me as it is!

So, in my opinion the SW focuser is of excellent quality and definitely the best I have used to date.  The entire package is of very good quality, fit and finish very good as well. 

All of this goodness for $626 USD new, glad I chose this option.

Thank you all for your wisdom, knowledge and experience.

CS

jason

Edited by The Luckster, 03 December 2019 - 03:16 PM.

• punk35, eros312, BKBrown and 2 others like this

#33 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:18 PM

Un-boxing, initial impressions and some weight testing.

First light is still off here, but I finally got to explore and examine my new SW 100ED f/9.

All components in the carry case were properly sealed, save for one lose item: The focuser lock screw.  8x50 finder, nicer than anticipated.  I was not going to use the finder, but I think I'll try it out, at least.  2" diagonal seems nice-enough, and has compression rings for both 2" and 1.25".  I'll try it out.  Opitical tube is free of blemishes, and free of internal debris chunks.  There is some small fuzzies within the tube, typical in my opinion (and a lot less than in my other scopes...).  Glass surfaces seem to free of issue, all looks very good.  I'll give the oculars a spin or two, just to see.  However, the SW 5mm I assume is directly related to my BST 5mm Starguider...Still, a nice ocular.  Tube and rings all seemed well, and as a unit as a whole, very nice and very new.  Not a return.

Next, testing the "dreaded" focuser.  (Now keep in mind where I come from in regards to all of the telescopes I have or had...)

Smooth, all of the way in and all of the way out; smooth.  No tightening, no grinding nor any looseness.  Wow, the focusing tube does not "wiggle" like all of my other refractor focuser tubes.  This SW focuser unit is not loose, very snug but does not bind...all of the way in and out.  So far, this is the BEST focuser I all ever used at this point.

Okay, time to add some ocular and diagonal weight, along with some dangerous angles (indoors and over a lot of pillows...).  I started off big: Orion 2" Twist-lock with ES82 30mm 2" ocular.  There is no need to go long with my results; rock-solid with no looseness, grinding, coming lose, slippage and at very disturbing angles and focus lengths.  I even shook the rig.  Simply put; I could not coax any form of issue with the SW focuser while bearing a hefty load at all.  It's as if the tube, focuser, diagonal and ocular were one solid unit.  I have never experienced that sensation before with any of my rigs I have used.  Now, I am not too thrilled with the two inch focuser set screws with NO compression ring, but It ain't a deal breaker for me, and the set screws did lock down a weighty load... As of this point, I see no reason whatsoever to disassemble the focuser for a tune-up.  It is perfect for me as it is!

So, in my opinion the SW focuser is of excellent quality and definitely the best I have used to date.  The entire package is of very good quality, fit and finish very good as well. 

All of this goodness for $626 USD new, glad I chose this option.

Thank you all for your wisdom, knowledge and experience.

CS

jason

The last two synta focusers I had could handle a 31N and 2" diagonal with no issues. 

I think preowned you take your chances because of people hanging heavy camera gear off them but new, the dual speed focusers are very good right from the start. 

• The Luckster likes this

#34 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:25 PM

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fas2.htm

just going to leave this right here for you. I agree, I wish at the price point they gave us compression ring visual back, but scope stuff does have us covered if need be. Or the more expensive Baader, but this one is just as good. 

So glad you’re liking the scope and everything arrived tip top shape for you. My brand new 120ED couldn’t do what yours is doing(focuser) when it came to fine focus on the ES82 30mm. Congrats on everything. In fact, when me and Wade(Punk35) compared our focusers on my 1st 100ED and his 102ED, he may remember the stiffness and slight grind in mine. 

• punk35 and The Luckster like this

#35 Agatha

Agatha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:56 PM

Yes to the ScopeStuff adapter mentined above by Jond105.   I'm sure there are many people who have changed the stock one out for the SS version.  It is very nice.  

• punk35 and The Luckster like this

#36 punk35

punk35

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:48 PM

Sounds like your focuser is just fine.
I agree about the SS adapter. When I had my Celestron C4R I swapped out the original R&P focuser for an ED80 single speed crayford. It was very smooth and strong AFTER I filed the bottom of the draw tube flat with my wet stone. The only other thing it needed was the mentioned adapter, which I never bought. I wish I had, so it wouldn’t look like a beaver tried to eat my diagonal. 

I’ll be very interested to hear your comparison when you get it of the AT focuser vrs the SW. 

Congrats and I’ll be looking forward to all your reports.

#37 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:40 PM

Thank you all...it is done.  Decision made, order placed.

Thank you, Gene, for your PM.

I purchased the following:

Sky Watcher EvoStar 100ED f/9

ES82 30mm 2"

I'll need to add another Alt-Az tripod in the future, I'll just get another Twilight 1 (the AT version this time).

Thank you all, again...reports to follow soon.

CS

jason

There is something special about a 4 inch f9 scope.  As close to a do it all scope as I have.  You will be pleased!

jmd 

#38 BKBrown

BKBrown

Skylab

• Loc: Under dark skies in central Virginia, USA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:51 PM

Congratulations Jason, sounds like you got a really good one waytogo.gif  Can't wait to hear your first light impressions, I suspect my earlier endorsement will be vindicated smile.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#39 gene 4181

gene 4181

Aurora

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:06 PM

Luckster , enjoy the scope  . Sure couldn't   beat that price  ,    IF I didn't  already have  the AT 102  ,   smile.gif    

#40 punk35

punk35

Apollo

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

Even though I have an At102ED, I still want an ED100. I think to myself “ my C4R on steroids ( fpl53). 

#41 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:13 PM

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fas2.htm

just going to leave this right here for you. I agree, I wish at the price point they gave us compression ring visual back, but scope stuff does have us covered if need be. Or the more expensive Baader, but this one is just as good. 

This focuser adapter will be my next equipment purchase, but for now I can use the SW diagonal (if it's up to the task, my Orion Twisty blew me away with it's transparency).  Not worried about Beaver gnaw marks on the SW.

CS

jason

#42 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Congratulations Jason, sounds like you got a really good one waytogo.gif  Can't wait to hear your first light impressions, I suspect my earlier endorsement will be vindicated smile.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

Though apples and oranges, I should borrow back my old Meade 102 f/5.9 acro and compare the two.  But that would mean less time with the new SW 100.

CS

jason

#43 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 PM

This focuser adapter will be my next equipment purchase, but for now I can use the SW diagonal (if it's up to the task, my Orion Twisty blew me away with it's transparency).  Not worried about Beaver gnaw marks on the SW.

CS

jason

I love my Orion 2” as well

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics