•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASILive - new EAA software

• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#251 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

Thank you. I'll stay with sharpcap.
  • DSO_Viewer likes this

#252 elrico

elrico

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West Yorkshire UK

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:57 AM

Just out of interest what in ASIImage does Delay first & Delay Between mean ?, also how do Fits save in ASIImage.

regards

Eric

#253 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:16 AM

I only use ASILive and I've never tried ASIImage, which is the imaging software component of ASIStudio -  You might want to ask the question in one of the other imaging fora where imagers are likely to hang out.smile.gif  

• elrico likes this

#254 DeanCN

DeanCN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Dundas, ON

Posted 20 June 2020 - 01:44 PM

FYI, there is a new version upgrade from v1.1.1 to v1.1.2 has some bug fixes etc.

You can get it by launching ASIStudio, click the "?" and click Update.

• alphatripleplus, elrico and Terrybythe sea like this

#255 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll wait a bit until trying the new version, but I wonder what bug fixes were made. 

• Brad Saunders likes this

#256 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Gaspe Peninsula

Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll wait a bit until trying the new version, but I wonder what bug fixes were made. 

No idea on the bug fixes, but it sounds like there might be some new ones. From the Facebook ASIStudio group last night:

"I was using Studo 1.1.1 tonight. As soon as I opened the program it told me of an upgrade available, I put that off till later. I slewed to the Whale Nebula, stacked 15 images at 60 sec. exposures. Worked great so I slewed to another object, started stacking but after the first exposure it just sits there and won’t take the second exposure. Yes it was set for multiple exposures. I closed the program and re-opened three times but that did nothing."

"Just updated.... It's a mess. The app starts and when you want to start asicap for example. Nothing happens then a window opens and tells me it doesn't work.

My computer is recent on Windows 10 and with a I5."

"Windows. I would start there. Mac user here with no issues."

"I also had updating in my Win10-64 laptop but I found I had to update camera drivers first... then it updated properly... but I haven’t connected to anything yet to test it out."

Edited by Terrybythe sea, 21 June 2020 - 07:12 AM.

• alphatripleplus and Brad Saunders like this

#257 DeanCN

DeanCN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:06 PM

it would be nice if ZWO posted a full change log, or, since the software is "free", bare it all on github so we can see

what the changes are in code.  Keep a copy of the last release in case things go sideways ... just re-install.

#258 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:32 AM

it would be nice if ZWO posted a full change log, or, since the software is "free", bare it all on github so we can see

what the changes are in code.  Keep a copy of the last release in case things go sideways ... just re-install.

Good points. I usually hang on to the setup.exe for the last  ASIStudio/ ASILive release that has worked for me. I have had to uninstall the new version and then re-install the older working version on more than one occasion. Based on my experiences with their new releases, I am reluctant to jump in and try a new release when the odds are pretty high that it won't work initially.

#259 DeanCN

DeanCN

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:07 AM

there is a vast set of test matrices that we can all help ZWO keep providing license free software going.

If ASI X version Y on your system Z is not working, post to their forum https://bbs.astronom...ing-camera.com/ .

I get the sense there is a small but dedicated team who are doing their best. Be patient.

• eros312, Terrybythe sea and Brad Saunders like this

#260 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:35 AM

I've also emailed the developers directly when problems come up. Sometimes I hear from them, and I am patient.smile.gif

#261 Carl Wright

Carl Wright

Vostok 1

• In Memoriam

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:00 PM

Is there a tutorial for the newest version of ASI live?

#262 Brad Saunders

Brad Saunders

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:43 PM

Does anyone understand how to stack photos with ASIlive or ASIcap?   I can get all kinds of single shot photos but never a stack.  ASIcap gives me hundreds of single photos to look at but nothing is stacked.  ASI has very little explanation as how to stack on their site or within their software.  I am not understanding the basics of stacking or how to retrieve a stack if I even have any stacks to retrieve.  ASI has one training video but it moves very fast with no talking to explain what they are doing.  It is rather useless to a beginner.

If someone out there could make a YouTube video about the ASI Suite of programs and take it 'nice and slow', that would be most helpful.

#263 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:53 AM

Unfortunately, no. This topic on CN, along with ZWO' ASIStudio Facebook group and their own discussion forums, seemingly is as close as it gets. Much like Cloudy Nights, you have to request to join them before being able to post:

https://www.facebook...31194020671016/

http://bbs.astronomy...ging-camera.com

#264 Terrybythe sea

Terrybythe sea

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:09 AM

Does anyone understand how to stack photos with ASIlive or ASIcap?   I can get all kinds of single shot photos but never a stack.  ASIcap gives me hundreds of single photos to look at but nothing is stacked.  ASI has very little explanation as how to stack on their site or within their software.  I am not understanding the basics of stacking or how to retrieve a stack if I even have any stacks to retrieve.  ASI has one training video but it moves very fast with no talking to explain what they are doing.  It is rather useless to a beginner.

If someone out there could make a YouTube video about the ASI Suite of programs and take it 'nice and slow', that would be most helpful.

Just a beginner myself, so I can't answer most of your questions. But I can tell you that ASICap is for imaging the moon and planets, and therefore doesn't do stacking, as they are already plenty bright enough.

ASILive, otoh, should do stacking, that's what it's designed for. I assume the first of these YouTube videos is the one you're referring to, but the second may provide some clues, as might the Facebook group and ZWO forums I mentioned in my previous post just above.

https://www.youtube....h?v=pJaKZ8Bakrg

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Finally, here's another topic on CN:

https://www.cloudyni...the-asiair-pro/

#265 Brad Saunders

Brad Saunders

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:06 AM

Thank you Vostic1.  I have already seen those links and those links are pretty much all that is available at this point (as far as I can tell).  Oh well... I guess we will have to wait until someone makes some easy to follow YouTube training videos.

Thanks Again

• Terrybythe sea likes this

#266 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:31 AM

As Terry mentioned, there is no tutorial I am aware of. I made some brief comments in post#243 and post#247 of this thread on the basics for using ASILive for what it is worth.  

I agree that videos or documentation from ZWO would make it easier to get started for beginners, even though the software is pretty easy to figure out.

• elrico and Terrybythe sea like this

#267 Brad Saunders

Brad Saunders

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

I like N2TU appreciate you fellas taking the time to give some insight into ASIlive.  Like N2TU, I am going to cut and paste the step by step instructions and print them out for later.  Thank you AlphaTriplePlus.

Brad
N1GZB

• alphatripleplus, N2TU and Terrybythe sea like this

#268 elrico

elrico

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

On its way I was informed yesterday by ZWO

regards eric

#269 elrico

elrico

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

As Terry mentioned, there is no tutorial I am aware of. I made some brief comments in post#243 and post#247 of this thread on the basics for using ASILive for what it is worth.  

I agree that videos or documentation from ZWO would make it easier to get started for beginners, even though the software is pretty easy to figure out.

On its way I was informed yesterday by ZWO

• alphatripleplus and Brad Saunders like this

#270 elrico

elrico

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

Manual/Instructions for ASIStudio is being prepared at ZWO I have been informed

regards Eric

• eros312, alphatripleplus and Brad Saunders like this

#271 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:18 PM

Manual/Instructions for ASIStudio is being prepared at ZWO I have been informed

regards Eric

Excellent news if it happens.

#272 crn3371

crn3371

Vostok 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:46 PM

More documentation certainly would be nice. I did find a manual within the Asicap help menu and saved it to pdf for future reference. 

#273 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

Without Plate Solving, I'll stick with SharpCap since I have the lifetime license.

• DSO_Viewer and Noah4x4 like this

#274 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:09 AM

Without Plate Solving, I'll stick with SharpCap since I have the lifetime license.

I like the simplicity of Atik Infinity, but it only supports Atik cameras.

ASIStudio is in the same mould, but the lack of documentation and a few bugs in ASILive led me to embrace SharpCap when I bought my ZWO ASI294. Fortunately, the Atik CMOS driver issue with SharpCap has also now been resolved. 

The learning curve was steep (with a capital C) but now I understand it, SharpCap is far more versatile than Infinity and ASIStudio and I now use it with both of my cameras. I really like it's Sensor Analysis, and Smart Histogram, which many users fail to explore, also it's ROI feature seems to handle Zoom and Image scaling better than Infinity or ASIStudio, which is important on Hyperstar. Plate solving is another bonus.

The simplicity of Atik Infinity and ASIStudio will be valuable to assist new entrants. But as they become more experienced, I suspect that most folk will continue to upgrade to Sharpcap, or Sequence Generator Pro or Maxim DL dependent on the imaging direction they take (short or long exposures), albeit that Atik owners now have the excellent Dusk. All therefore have their role to play. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 06 July 2020 - 11:10 AM.

• DSO_Viewer likes this

#275 va1erian

va1erian

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:58 AM

Writing up own software (ASIStudio) is the ZWO's way to de-risk its dependence on the software of one man (SharpCap). Who knows how the business of the SharpCap developer could turn out, and he is not younger than the ZWO founder.

I think the strategy for the people is to continue to use SharpCap (which I personally like to do), but if anything happens, we can always fall back on to ASIStudio.

• alphatripleplus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics