•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostar/Audiostar "Calibrate Motor" mystery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:31 AM

I have 2 Autostar and 3 Audiostar controllers. The One Autostar a got with a used ETX90 and the other I got of e-bay in unused condition. Two Audiostars I got with my two LX90's (one I bought the other was a replacement) the third one was a gift from Meade). All these controllers have patched firmware on them, this means I can read their calibrate motor and  train values with the MyScope app. About 4 months ago the "new" Autostar developed a problem : it detected a motor fault (this is common when you swap controllers between scopes) it did a automatic "Calibrate Motor" but failed again and again and got into a loop that I could not get past. But I could read the scope data and it showed that one of the calibrate motor values were 255. I have read somewhere that a -1 or 255 is a fault value. My other controllers had no problem with this scope and I swapped the board with with that of my old Autostar controller which had faulty buttons and scratched screen. I accepted that the controller board is now faulty and left it at that. Two days ago I was playing with different controllers and accidentally plugged the  faulty Autostar into a scope : it immediately did a "Calibrate Motor" and passed!? I checked the values and none were 255. How did that happen? I can except that temperature and voltage fluctuations  can change the optimum level at which the LED's in the drive encoders will work at, but here is the strange reality : You can do repetitive motor calibrations with the same scope, controller and battery level and get different results every time!?  It is as if the scope and controller changes values independently  and where they find a compatible value set, they stop. I did a "Calibrate Motor" with 2 different Audiostars and 2 different Autostars on the same scope and battery, never got the same results?   Is this to enable the controller to detect a controller swap?  I hope Andrew can shine some light on this mystery......     

#2 Levant

Levant

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:41 PM

You have solved my complex problem. if you cannot find a solution, I guess nobody can...I doubt Meade CEO can shine a light on this issue.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics