•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Purchasing/Selling Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jeebulus

jeebulus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:46 AM

Hi All,

Not sure this is the right forum for this. Hoping to get some advice.

I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-owned 10" LX200 GPS LMT for $1,100.00. The purchase includes the scope, finder, tripod and carrying case. I will have a chance to turn it on and give it a thorough testing, but at the moment all I have seen are photographs of it. It has been stored unused in a basement for several years and is quite dusty, though I understand the corrector cover has been in place the entire time and the visual back has been capped. I don't know how old the telescope is, but will find out when I give it a test run. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if $1,100.00 is a decent price assuming the electronics and optics check out.

Follow up question: I currently have a 10" LX200 Classic. Many of you here on CN have been kind enough to help me solve some problems with it in the past. I have replaced all the relevant capacitors in the scope and handset and have installed the Peterson EZ Focus Kit. The telescope works great. Goto is spot on. Optics are excellent and cosmetically it looks nearly new. I have grown quite fond of my Classic. However, I can't justify having two 10" LX200's floating around my house so if I purchase the GPS I will sell my Classic. Can anyone suggest a fair price? It would include the scope, finder, tripod and Super Wedge. 

Thank you in advance. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Bob 

#2 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:00 AM

I paid $1800 for my LX200 10" GPS SMT .  Same as yours except I had several accessories (microfocuser, OAG, projection adapter, Eyepieces, filters cables etc) - say $350 worth of extras.  So I would say $1100 is a good price if it all checks out.

I'm not sure what a LX200 classic would fetch - but I would estimate at least $1000 if it has a carrying case.

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:18 AM

Trading a 10" Meade SCT with "excellent optics" for a 10" Meade SCT that's likely a good scope is a dubious proposition, no?

• WebFoot, M57Guy and Astro-Master like this

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:31 AM

I have one of the first 10" LX200 SCT ever made it only had a one star alignment and it had really good optics.  After using it for 25 years or more it stopped working and Meade said they didn't have parts to fix it.  I now use it on a CGEM II mount.

It sounds to me like you also have one with good optics, and everything works on your scope.  I don't understand why you want another one that has been sitting in a basement for years and may have hidden problems.

Wouldn't you rather have a scope to complement your 10" like maybe a nice ED refractor or some kind of grab & go scope for nights you don't feel like setting up the 10" scope?

• WebFoot, Old Man, M57Guy and 1 other like this

#5 rferrante

rferrante

Clearline Technology Corp.

• Vendors
  • Loc: Orange County, California

Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:40 AM

Second the above. These days, your cell phone lets you easily enter very accurate time and location into the Classic LX200, so the "GPS" of the LX200 GPS is just a convenience rather than a new capability.

--Rob

• M57Guy and Astro-Master like this

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:33 PM

Hi All,

Not sure this is the right forum for this. Hoping to get some advice.

I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-owned 10" LX200 GPS LMT for $1,100.00. The purchase includes the scope, finder, tripod and carrying case. I will have a chance to turn it on and give it a thorough testing, but at the moment all I have seen are photographs of it. It has been stored unused in a basement for several years and is quite dusty, though I understand the corrector cover has been in place the entire time and the visual back has been capped. I don't know how old the telescope is, but will find out when I give it a test run. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if $1,100.00 is a decent price assuming the electronics and optics check out.

Follow up question: I currently have a 10" LX200 Classic. Many of you here on CN have been kind enough to help me solve some problems with it in the past. I have replaced all the relevant capacitors in the scope and handset and have installed the Peterson EZ Focus Kit. The telescope works great. Goto is spot on. Optics are excellent and cosmetically it looks nearly new. I have grown quite fond of my Classic. However, I can't justify having two 10" LX200's floating around my house so if I purchase the GPS I will sell my Classic. Can anyone suggest a fair price? It would include the scope, finder, tripod and Super Wedge. 

Thank you in advance. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Bob 

I bought a 10" for just under the price you are considering and have seen them go for as cheap as $850 and up to $1500 as described. 

The GPS model isn't much different from your current Classic other than having the automated GPS location and tip/tilt and of course the newer Autostar controller(and it's doubtful this one you are looking at has been upgraded so you'll have to do an update to that system). 

As others have wondered, is there a specific reason you think swapping out is the path you want to take?   

#7 M57Guy

M57Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

Echoing the skepticism above, why the interest in the 'upgrade"?

Sure, the GPS feature seems sexy, but it sounds like your non-GPS classic is a gem.

Best case scenario the pre-owned GPS version functions as well as your existing scope, but with "GPS" for an additional $1,100.

Perhaps there's more to this than described, but I think Astro-Master hit the nail on the head with advising $1,100 spent on a complementing scope (or accessories) will provide more mileage.

Good luck on your decision and Happy Thanksgiving!

#8 MikeBY

MikeBY

Explorer 1

• Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:18 AM

+1 the comments above.
I have a 10" LX200GPS with UHTC. If you have standard coatings on your classic and are looking to upgrade because of the OTA, I'd look for a 10" ACF with UHTC, but you said your optics are excellent. Plus, I'd definitely keep the wedge. I don't have one. Without it the tracking is not as precise, and you need a field rotator for any long exposure astrophotography work.

I get the idea that you are thinking about the trade because selling the 200 classic your net cost would be nominal. Perhaps. But you still have the cost of sale and the risk of selling a good working mount whose issues have been worked through for one that is unknown. What's to gain? The GPS? That by itself is not worth the effort in time and money going through the newly aquired scope in my opinion. Could you flip it and make some money to fund another project? Cleaned up, serviced, checked out and updated, very possible if you can do the work yourself or get lucky that its just cosmetics. I might be tempted around that price if it were not for my current projects.
It's not clear to me what your motivation or goal is. Perhaps if explain further, better advice will come.

Clear skies,
Michael

#9 jeebulus

jeebulus

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

Hi, 

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and thank you for your thoughtful responses. 

You really got me thinking about this and I have come to the conclusion that your are right. My telescope works and performs great. I am completely happy with it. Why take a chance with an unknown scope when the one I have works just fine. 

For the record I was giving this other scope serious consideration really for one reason. Despite my Classic's excellent performance, every time I turn it on I can't shake the thought in the back of my mind "is this the time the hand controller blows up, or fails and what if I can't track down a replacement?" When I saw the GPS for what seemed like a good price I was thinking I could buy that one, and since it would be pointless to have two SCT's, sell mine - essentially an even swap  - and stop worrying. 

After reading your posts I realized you are correct. The risks really do out weigh the advantages. And if the hand controller, or anything else, goes south in the future I'm sure I will be able to figure something out. I have so far.

Thank you again for bringing me to my senses. I am grateful for your help.

Clear skies!

Bob  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics