•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some AP Mach2 pics in Roland's Hawaii Observatory

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:52 AM

The more I look at your pictures Christopher, the more I'm taking interest in Roland's and Marj's observatory and it's construction. 

I'm also really curious as to the mods you did for the Losmandy LW tripod.

Other threads maybe?

Jeff

#27 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:18 PM

I was at AIC when Roland spoke with Marj about taking the Mach 2 to Hawaii.  It looks to be a fabulous mount and certainly a worthy addition to the AP line.  I would love to hear more about how it performs with the absolute encoders.  AP is doing an amazing job with the Stowaway and the now new Mach 2!  Wow...it's exciting.

Roland showed me the mount in action. It is super-quiet and FAST. Three times faster slewing than the current AP mounts.

And watching the motors "push back" against wind and Roland's hand was impressive. The encoder sampling rate was something like 7 times per millisecond. Impressive!

I tapped the OTA and the settling time was a fraction of a second.

• NMBob likes this

#28 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:19 PM

The more I look at your pictures Christopher, the more I'm taking interest in Roland's and Marj's observatory and it's construction. 

Other threads maybe?

Jeff

Yes, other threads.

I won't say more about their observatory without their permission but I can talk a lot about my mods to Losmandy and AP tripods, mounts and such.

#29 HxPI

HxPI

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:34 PM

What is the current limit for the through the mount power?

Edited by HxPI, 01 December 2019 - 08:35 PM.

#30 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:49 PM

What is the current limit for the through the mount power?

I don't know for sure without asking Roland but my assumption is that the current limit on the internal power cable is 15 amps through a pair of 14ga wires.

#31 sparkyht

sparkyht

Ranger 4

• Loc: The Badger State

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:57 PM

drool.gif drool5.gifdrool.gif drool5.gifdrool.gif drool5.gifdrool.gif    Never mind me and my drooling

#32 Gleason

Gleason

Mariner 2

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:32 AM

20191116_101926_resized_1.jpg

Here's master Yoda at AIC.  I was quite impressed with the Mach 2's size and apparent solid feel on the Eagle tripod. It was very quite as to be expected.   We discussed if this mount could carry my RHA 305 if needed and based on the charts it is still within the limits.  Thinking this could go into a Chile remote installation when it becomes available.   

Edited by Gleason, 05 December 2019 - 11:35 AM.

• Christopher Erickson, psandelle and NMBob like this

#33 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:14 PM

I don't see those scopes on the "accessories" page.

Did "Shipments begin November 2019" for these? Just curious. I have a package of parts coming from A-P, so I know someone is not on the beach running around in flip-flops. :)

#34 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:13 PM

I don't see those scopes on the "accessories" page.

Did "Shipments begin November 2019" for these? Just curious. I have a package of parts coming from A-P, so I know someone is not on the beach running around in flip-flops. smile.gif

The Mach2 is still in design refinement.Nothing shipping yet!

• NMBob likes this

#35 Bill Dean

Bill Dean

Viking 1

• Loc: Encinitas, CA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:26 PM

Vendor forum might be more appropriate but hey, not a deliverable and not the actual manufacturer so...

#36 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:54 PM

Vendor forum might be more appropriate but hey, not a deliverable and not the actual manufacturer so...

Yup. I'm not a vendor. Just a friend of Roland, Marj and Karen.

Just thought I would share some pics that I felt some people might be interested in.

Nothing in it for me.

• timmbottoni and NMBob like this

#37 fate187

fate187

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:40 AM

Can an old keypad be used with a newer CP5?

#38 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:45 AM

Can an old keypad be used with a newer CP5?

Yes. After a downloaded firmware upload. And optionally a new keyboard membrane.

#39 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

If you can boil everything down to one USB (like with a hub) and one Anderson connector (with a rigrunner) then they have already run the cables through the mount for you (tail of the RA axis up to the side of the declination housing).

Does this mean you can't play "Spin The Telescope" with this mount? I've never ran the wires through my Mach 1. Never thought about the wires getting twisted.

How is that going to help with the motor cables? You have apparently misunderstood my comment. I suppose the design is so you can break the mount into pieces, but I do not like it. It is a minor complaint.

#40 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:45 AM

How is that going to help with the motor cables? You have apparently misunderstood my comment. I suppose the design is so you can break the mount into pieces, but I do not like it. It is a minor complaint.

Roland says that after an extensive survey, most users preferred data and power through the mount instead of being able to break the mount in half for transport and that the absolute encoders made it required that both features couldn't exist in the same mount design in this size and capacity range.

The power, data and DEC motor cabling will prevent the axes from being spun indefinitely. But spinning through 359 degrees is apparently the current design.

• psandelle, HxPI and NMBob like this

#41 Gleason

Gleason

Mariner 2

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:36 PM

Other threads maybe?

Jeff

The top of the Losmandy LW tripod is the same as the G11 tripod. AP has a pier adapter for the Mach 1 to fit the G11 tripod. It is entirely possible the same Mach 1 adapter will fit the Mach 2. I run my 1100 on the Losmandy HD adjustable tripod and it works superbly.  That same adapter would fit the LW tripod.  Hmmm, that would be a funny configuration for the 1100. 

#42 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:55 PM

The top of the Losmandy LW tripod is the same as the G11 tripod. AP has a pier adapter for the Mach 1 to fit the G11 tripod. It is entirely possible the same Mach 1 adapter will fit the Mach 2. I run my 1100 on the Losmandy HD adjustable tripod and it works superbly.  That same adapter would fit the LW tripod.  Hmmm, that would be a funny configuration for the 1100. 

The Mach1 and Mach2 have the same base and will use the same ADATRI plate adapter and the same LT2APM tripod adapter.

In the picture, I am using my own custom-machined version of the LT2APM adapter. It is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the LT2APM adapter but only works with the ADATRI for the Mach1/Mach2/400/600E.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics