•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS issue after the A4S4 update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Levant

Levant

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:57 AM

Hi Everyone!

I have updated my LX90 8" Audiostar firmware to A4S4 just to be up-to-date but now I am having a problem with GPS function. GPS does not appear in the Audiostar Utilities menu and I do not see "GPS fix" when I switch it on. Utilities start with "Timer" and end with "Park Scope".I have to enter the date, time and daylight saving manually every time. Two star alignment and other functions work fine.
Any ideas about how to fix the GPS? Is here a way to upload the previous firmware?

Best regards,
Levent

#2 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:10 AM

Hi Everyone!

I have updated my LX90 8" Audiostar firmware to A4S4 just to be up-to-date but now I am having a problem with GPS function. GPS does not appear in the Audiostar Utilities menu and I do not see "GPS fix" when I switch it on. Utilities start with "Timer" and end with "Park Scope".I have to enter the date, time and daylight saving manually every time. Two star alignment and other functions work fine.
Any ideas about how to fix the GPS? Is here a way to upload the previous firmware?

Best regards,
Levent

The fact that you say  "I do not see "GPS fix" when I switch it on"  suggest to me that you may have been using a StarGPS system and not the Meade GPS that comes with their GPS equipped scopes. So please give us more information about the scope model, year ... 

PS I have loaded the A4S4 unpatched firmware on my LX90ACF GPS scope and had no problems while using it. I now use A4s4 StarGPS patched firmware. It may have nothing to do with the update : I had problems with the scope not detecting the GPS ( it will then display nowhere in the menu) but that was because of a bad connection on the controller plug on the scope. 

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 29 November 2019 - 04:47 AM.

#3 Levant

Levant

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:32 AM

Thank you, Piet!

I bought the scope 10 months ago from US. It is a new LX90 8" ACF GPS with Audiostar English/Spanish.

It came with the latest firmware and I updated later using A4S4 via Windows 10 and ASU 6.1.

I did not use any other hardware or software.

Only the connection cable was a noname USB to RS232 cable that I bought from Amazon.

I agree with you now that it may be a hardware problem. Only the coincidence of updating firmware and occurrence of hardware problem is interesting.

Then there is nothing I can do about it as I am in Dubai and Meade repairs are in California.

Many thanks!

Best regards,
Levent

#4 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

No I would not say there is nothing you can do about it : First unplug the controller from the scope and reverse the controller cable, but before you plug it back shine a light into the plug on the telescope side marked HBX and see if any of the pins are out of position and touching each other. If you have a clean toothbrush brush both ends of the cable and plug it back in reverse. In my case I had to straighten the pins and that solved the problem. I now unplug the controller but leave the telescope side plugged in to prevent unnecessary wear.   

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 30 November 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#5 Levant

Levant

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:59 PM

Hi Piet,

Thank you for your suggestion. 

I have checked male and female ends and they look very good. I reversed the cable but it did not help. Leaving the cable plugged in is a good idea and I will follow.

Meanwhile some friends helped me to upload an old firmware but it did not work unfortunately and therefore now they suggest to open the fork to see if there is any disconnected socket but I am not sure that I can do it. 

Levent

#6 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:57 PM

If you plan to return it under warranty I agree you cannot. That will be the next step : Remove the right side cover and inspect the plugs on the circuit board. The GPS plugs into this board and from it is communication lines to the HBX. The plugs are covered with clear glue but I have seen them come lose. If you decide to inspect the Dec board I have include some information.

Attached File  Declination .pdf   310.8KB   11 downloads  

• Levant likes this

#7 Levant

Levant

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

Thank you, Piet!

Levent

#8 Levant

Levant

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:12 AM

Dear Piet,
GPS has surprisingly started functioning.
I just reversed the cable of Audiostar once more after brushing the plugs like you said. Later I moved the scope from my house to garden and started the telescope. I could not believe when I noticed that GPS was functioning.
It must be a kind of disconnection. Thanks again.
Best regards,
Levent

#9 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Vostok 1

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:59 AM

I had a similar experience with one of my scopes at the end I had to remove the control panel and remove the RJ45 connector for the HBX to align and tension the 8 contacts. That's why I don't unplug that connector.    

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 03 December 2019 - 10:00 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics