•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW 150ED v. 180mm Mak

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:40 AM

Anybody do a shoot out between these two scopes on Jupiter, Saturn and/or Mars??

Add comments about cool down time, etc.

Thanks! Love to hear your experiences.

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

I have their baby brothers.

On a variety of targets planets, doubles, lunar,  100mmED = 127mm MCT.

MCT does have thermal issues.  I have not played around with wrapping it.

MCT is much easier to mount (shorter). and the eyepiece is in a much more comfortable position.

MCT is cheaper.

100ED goes wider field 3 degrees with 2 inch eyepieces.

I would guess that for planetary the 150ed vs 180mm MCT will be similar with the nod going

to the 150 because  127/100 > 180/150

I would bet your 14g would be better on planets than either the 180 mak or 150 ed.

I would bet your c8 will be better or as good as  the 180mm mak.

My 10 inch dob is my best planetary scope, (except for size and cool down).

Another suggestion is to buy a used 8 inch dob, and have the mirror refigured.

I am considering this option.

Edited by vtornado, 29 November 2019 - 10:13 AM.

#3 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

thanks! looking at the black friday/cyber monday deals and wondering if i should look for improvements over my collection. i think what you said makes sense. 

my 14xx is really good to 250x then its soft, but i found out a few months back it had a turned down edge. i masked the outer edge to make it an effective 13.5" scope, and the star test is much better. However, haven't taken it for a planetary spin due to skies/time/planets low in the sky.

maybe stand pat and work with what i have. i have done reflectix insulation on the c8 but only tried to mess around once, weird results. will continue to test.

#4 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:00 AM

What do you have for a mount? Either is going to require a heavy duty mount.

#5 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

Got a cg-5. yes, was thinking about that too -- $$$ adds up

#6 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

I have an excellent Vixen VMC200L F10 Field Maksutov-Cassegrain.  My vintage 1980s Meade 826 8" F6 Newtonian generally out-performs it, but the VMC is light-weight, and rides on a TAK EM-1S + wood surveyor's tripod, while the 826 requires a heftier & heavier GEM like my Meade StarFinder + pedestal.

My 2017 APM 152ED can out-perform the VMC200 on most objects, but in general it's a horse-race with the 826 -- when the mirrors are clean, collimated, & temp-adapted.

The one comparison I'm missing in all these is putting the open-tube VMC up against a 200mm F10 traditional Mak-Cass with a full-aperture corrector plate.  My gut says that if it was made as well as the VMC, it could beat the VMC under best conditions for both Maks -- but I haven't seen that myself.

I can say that one of the most detailed & beautiful views of Saturn in my 50 years of observing was in a 1970s "kit" 150mm F23 Mak-Cass at 275x.  Each belt was distinct, and the colors were vibrant.  My APM 152ED hasn't delivered such a view yet (but Saturn was much higher in the sky back then).

On most work nights, I'll use either the VMC or the 826 -- the APM 152 takes more time & effort to set up / take down, so long as I set the scope out in the shed at least an hour before sunset to slowly adjust from indoors to outdoors.  Assuming I keep all 3 scopes, I'll have more options once I officially retire.

Looking at your scope list, I think you could use a good APO, but are you really set on a 6" ED?  I just got an Astro-Tech AT102ED F7, and it makes the most of its aperture for planetary, while presenting star fields, open clusters, and double stars that'll water your eyes.  It'll ride well on either your CG-4 or CG-5 mounts.

#7 loo27

loo27

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

I'll consider your advice Bomber Bob, might be a nice piece to add to the collection.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics