•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does it ever end?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

Hello, got another problem I am hoping someone will know the answer to. 

I am trying to control my Skywatcher eq3-2mount through Stellarium. I have configured the mount in the program as well as identifying which com port. When I start the scope it shows connected but when I ask it to slew to where ever it does not move. I have tried various cables but cannot work out why I am connected but no control. Anyone advise please.

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:21 AM

You will probably need an add on called StellariumScope. But right now I would recommend this beta build.

https://www.cloudyni...-testers-wanted

#3 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:33 AM

Hi, I tried to download Stellarium Scope but found it in the plugins section. Other than that I cannot find Stellarium Scope to download.

As I said the scope is connected but will not slew, that is where I am stuck, if Imanaged to find SS do you think that would help?

#4 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

Have you tried the ASCOM Stellarium from the https://www.cloudyni...testers-wanted/ thread in the Astronomy Computer & Software Forum?

It works really well for me and bypasses Stellarium Scope.

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:56 AM

What kind of drives and hand controller do you have for the Skywatcher EQ 3-2?

It seems like the EQ 3-2 is not a GOTO mount but rather uses stepper motors with a basic hand controller that provides tracking and slewing.

I believe that for Stellarium to control your scope, you need a compatible GOTO mount or Push to mount with encoders.

Jon

#6 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2019 - 12:21 PM

Hi, the mount is a goto. I have just tried again to download Stellarium Scope but it will not. In the notes that appear on the SS page where you can download SS it says that if you are running Stellarium that was downloaded after 2015 there is no need for Scope as the controls are found in plugins.

I have done all that the system tells me but the mount still will not slew.

#7 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 30 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

Do you have a SynScan hand controller?

Are you connecting the Computer to the serial port in the bottom of the hand controller?

Are you using the ASCOM platform?

Are you using the SkyWatcher or EQMOD driver?

You may not need Stellarium Scope with the current version of Stellarium, but I still use it. You may want to at least try it.

http://welshdragonco...stellariumscope

Just run StellariumScope.

When you configure ASCOM, if you use the SkyWatcher driver, be sure and check the Display Hand Controller box. If you use EQMOD it displays automatically. If you use

EQMOD, be sure and put the hand controller in PC Direct mode.

After you check the Connect box and the mount connects the ASCOM hand controller is displayed.

You can use the buttons on the hand controller display to unpark and then drive the mount.

Once you get that working, click on the start Stellarium button to run it from within Stellarium Scope.

YouStellariumScopeSmall4.jpg

#8 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

I think you will need Stellarium, Stellarium Scope and Ascom (drivers??), at least.

Stellarium doesn't seem to do the job as seamlessly as Skysafari does and you need to have a fair bit of input and work. People here (UK) have had I would say about 50% success with Stellarium and scope control.

I suppose that might mean it started as a simpler planetarium package then someone thought of adding in Scope Control as a bit of an add on.

#9 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:09 AM

Hi everyone I downloaded both the ASCOM platform and ASCOM Skywatcher synscan my Parametname: Portname.

handset is a synscan version 3.8 , but after hours of looking I cannot find where I need to check the hand controller box. I have opened an ASCOM manual and on page3 it defines the different settings but for the life of me I can’t find where I would do that. The next move if I can’t get Stellarium working is to download cdc but I would like to get Stellarium working.

i have found where I can configure things but I had to download CdC first, then my next problem, when I try to connect the scope I get a message saying “ASCOM driver error the port name cannot be empty. Parameter name: Portname”. I think it means where I put the com port but although I manually put the com port in, when I go back to it the box is empty.

Anyone advise please.

Edited by Angel baby, 01 December 2019 - 09:00 AM.

#10 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

Ok, back on track. 

Did you try the beta stellarium build I posted? That was painless for me to use. It eliminates the need for StellariumScope. 

How are you connecting the mount exactly? My EQ6-R needs accurate date and time, and a three star alignment to fully work properly. 

Also, this is quite a read, but the basics of navigating it is that there are multiple ways to connect. Determine which one you are using, and find the part of the article that applies. 

https://www.atm-work...pc-connect.html

Also, you'll get this figured out! I have sat out in the dark with my mount getting a headache from EQMOD and ASCOM on more than a few occasions!

Edited by wrnchhead, 01 December 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#11 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

Thanks wrnchhead I tried again tonight but no luck. I downloaded CdC but when I tried to connect too the mount I got the message “ASCOM drive error, the portnamecannot be left empty. Parameter name: Portname” I have no idea what that means, have you? I went over the settings and could not see anything that would help me.

I am reading through the link you sent I think the next download will be EQMOD but I think it must be drivers that I’ve not downloaded. I have the ASCOM platform as well as the Skywatcher drivers. Good job I have some hair cos at this rate I will finish up bald !!

#12 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:38 PM

Hi everyone I downloaded both the ASCOM platform and ASCOM Skywatcher synscan my Parametname: Portname.

handset is a synscan version 3.8 , but after hours of looking I cannot find where I need to check the hand controller box.

Anyone advise please.

In ASCOM, after you select the SkyWatcher driver, you then select the Properties button.

Within the SkyWatcher Setup Properties, your tick Show HC box.

Also within this same Window, you select the Com Port, input your location and scope parameters.

Then when you connect to the mount, it will display the Hand Controller on the screen.

SW-HC.jpg

• wrnchhead likes this

#13 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:47 PM

If you use Cartes du Ciel, you have the same parameters.

CDC-SW.jpg

#14 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:48 PM

Yes follow Paul's instructions. 

What is going on is your ASCOM is not seeing your mount due to the port setting in ASCOM. 

Do you know the port? If not, hit the windows key, type "device manager" hit enter. Scroll down and expand the item named "Ports" With your mount connected, it should show up there, and disappear when you unplug it. 

That is the port information you need to enter in the ASCOM Telescope Chooser that Paul showed a screenshot of. 

After that, you may need to adjust the baud settings in the port. Some take 9600 and some take 112500. My mount uses different baud settings depending on how I connect it even, so if you're not getting results at one setting, trying the other may help. (oh you change the baud setting in the device manager, right click the port and use the menus)

Edited by wrnchhead, 01 December 2019 - 04:54 PM.

#15 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:42 AM

Hi all, I have been trying again today and managed to get the mount to slew using Astrophotography tool but only when I put in the coordinates and then hit goto, and it does.

I will keep trying with Stellarium and Carter’s du Ciel but at least I seem to be making progress of sorts.

• wrnchhead likes this

#16 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

With CdC after you connect and unpark the mount, you do a find/search or click on an object.

Then you right click on it, select Telescope, select Slew: <object name> or Slew to cursor position.

CdC-GoTo.jpg

Edited by Pauls72, 02 December 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#17 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

Hi Pauls72 do you have EQMOD loaded? I have looked on the download page but would be guessing which one, can you advise please.

Edited by Angel baby, 02 December 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#18 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

Yes, I have EQMOD installed, amongst many other things.

For imaging, I normally use a USB2EQ6 adapter with EQMOD and never even hook up the physical hand controller.

I have also connected to RS232/Serial port on the hand controller and used EQMOD, but you need to put the hand controller in PC Direct Mode.

I have connected to the RS232/Serial port on the hand controller and used the SkyWatcher driver. Quite a few years back before there was a SkyWatcher driver we used a Celestron driver.

I have also connected to the RS232/Serial port on the hand controller with a home made BlueTooth adapter and controlled it from my Android cell phone using Sky Safari.

For visual observations, I just use the hand controller.

Both of my SynScan hand controllers are Version 3, so they have a Power, Mount and Serial connectors on the bottom.

I also have a Celestron StarSense for SkyWatcher that I use for visual at outreach events.

#19 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:36 PM

Hello, today I have been looking on th EQMOD site but on download page there are quite a few, which one would I need?

#20 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

Go here:

https://sourceforge..../files/EQASCOM/

Select and install this file:

EQASCOM_V200q_Setup.exe

#21 Angel baby

Angel baby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:13 AM

Hi it is Tuesday and I have just downloaded the file. I will try it later today and hopefully I will manage things. 

Thank you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics