•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

When will we make contact?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

I do.  That's how I learned that at least one species of our native desert ants hate chocolate!

Considering that there are a number of humans who are absolutely fascinated by ants, rocks, birds, snakes, trees, fungi, etc. etc., I would not be shocked to find advanced ET scientists who are quite enamoured of our little system.

Cool! Back when I was 20 years old --- I researched insects in the jungles of Panama for over a year ~1970... mostly moth vision, Dept. of Agriculture. But I also couldn't help but delve into following the Leaf Cutter Ants in their totally-focused activities, "on my own time". Marching along with those meticulously-cut pieces --- just can't help but admire them and the miracle of it all. I'm sure creatures more advanced than us would be similarly fascinated with our efforts to survive, thrive, understand, and reach out beyond our little sand box, even if just peeking over the edge... to see what might be out there.    Tom

• llanitedave likes this

#27 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:01 AM

I doubt that - human beings ARE equipped to understand distances, size of the universe, and much much more.  So far, we are the most conscious-beings ever.  We realize there is an entire Universe, that there are billions of stars, many solar systems, and exoplanets.  We are conscious enough to "understand" other species' lives on our planet.  We are most likely capable of so much more.

Worn out?  How can you keep coming to an astronomy/science/space forum and be tired of this discussion?  This is one of the most interesting/important discussions ever.

Understanding intellectually and comprehending intuitively are very different things..  Alpha Centauri is about  2.5 x 1013 miles from the solar system.  That's a very big number but it's not really possible to grasp in terms of something we can experience just how far that is.

What I find interesting is how important this search has become to many people. Important enough that it seems to somehow give life meaning... I'm a pragmatist, my life has meaning because I'm alive, this is the miracle of the universe. Ultimately each of us is alone, I concern myself with things I can do.. As a species we have big problems facing us. Dreamng of other civilizations won't solve those problems.

Jon 

#28 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:42 AM

What I find interesting is how important this search has become to many people. Important enough that it seems to somehow give life meaning... I'm a pragmatist, my life has meaning because I'm alive, this is the miracle of the universe. Ultimately each of us is alone, I concern myself with things I can do.. As a species we have big problems facing us. Dreamng of other civilizations won't solve those problems.

Jon 

Well.... aliens might have the technology to transport us to different parts of the Universe along with granting us immortality. So it's a pretty big deal.

#29 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:59 AM

Well.... aliens might have the technology to transport us to different parts of the Universe along with granting us immortality. So it's a pretty big deal.

It's not going to happen in either of our lifetimes and it is a pretty big stretch to think it might ever happen. 

It's really not much different than thinking some super powerful being will pluck us from our misery and transport us to another world where all our problems are solved and we live in bliss for ever after. 

Jon

• bobhen likes this

#30 HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

Understanding intellectually and comprehending intuitively are very different things..  Alpha Centauri is about  2.5 x 1013 miles from the solar system.  That's a very big number but it's not really possible to grasp in terms of something we can experience just how far that is.

Jon 

Exactly - people wondering about the Universe has gone up in the last decade.   Even at my workplace, people actually talk about Space exploration and the Universe and these people really have no interest in astronomy before.  On CNN and Foxnew's front page, you see a Space/Universe related article almost everyday.

Check out this poll at Pew Research center about "Frequency of feeling wonder about the universe" and click on the TRENDS tab

https://www.pewforum...t-the-universe/

It's not a matter of wondering what we can "do."  It's about curiosity and exercising the brain.  Try it, it helps in older age!  Yes we have big problems on Earth and wondering about other civilizations won't solve that, but so what?  Everything most people do on a day to day basis doesn't solve our civilization's problems.

Edited by HouseBuilder328, 03 December 2019 - 10:32 AM.

• Berny likes this

#31 ColoHank

ColoHank

Aurora

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:02 PM

Jon 

Indeed.  It's much easier to say "billion" or "trillion" than it is to appreciate how large those numbers really are.  Perhaps we've become inured to them because they're tossed around so frequently by those who must wrestle with and report on our nation's annual budget.

#32 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:47 PM

Will it cause us to walk to the edge of the earth to throw the bottle off? wink.gif lol.gif

Hopefully they'll give us more than one next time.

(If they don't, they must be crazy!)

• mich_al likes this

#33 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

https://www.youtube....mafy_v8g8&t=52s

#34 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:56 PM

"Contact" not withstanding unless Einstein was way off base technology is not going to solve the speed of c problem. Read the Bobiverse series to get an idea of how immortality may be achieved. 

https://www.goodread...92752-bobiverse

#35 goodricke1

goodricke1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted Yesterday, 06:06 AM

It's not going to happen in either of our lifetimes and it is a pretty big stretch to think it might ever happen. 

It's really not much different than thinking some super powerful being will pluck us from our misery and transport us to another world where all our problems are solved and we live in bliss for ever after. 

Jon

"in our lifetimes" is quite a narrow phrase. Who is to say that advanced intelligence is not recording every detail on this and other planets, to be reconstructed at a time of their choosing? Yes it is quite similar to theology, but based on a rational interpretation whereby aliens assume the capabilities conventionally ascribed to God. It is a very big Universe, and our current theories of reality are statistically highly unlikely to represent the final truth.

#36 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 07:59 AM

I doubt hypothetical very advanced 'god-like' beings would be particularly interested in humanity. Sentient, intelligent life elsewhere is a possibility. Although not an absolute probability. Personally, I'd say it is statistically unlikely that we are the only intelligent entities in the entire cosmos. We may even be the most technologically advanced. Industrialisation and the technological snowball are probably not a certainty or an eventuality. It is a hubris and anthropocentric to consider that a proposed life form, that was evolutionarily and technologically incredibly advanced compared to us, would consider humanity even worthy of attention.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, Yesterday, 08:01 AM.

• Pess likes this

#37 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 AM

The speed of light is only a real obstacle if we hew to the "in our lifetimes" perspective.  Two things we can postulate with relative confidence about truly advanced life forms:

1.  They have long lifetimes

2.  They are very, very patient.

#38 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted Yesterday, 11:05 AM

I doubt hypothetical very advanced 'god-like' beings would be particularly interested in humanity.

There are 2 things we have which are possibly unique in the universe:

1) Bacon

2) Heavy metal rock music

#39 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 AM

1) Bacon

Forgot Spam..

#40 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 01:14 PM

1) Bacon

Ermm ... possibly, unless:

1) Pikelets

2) Old Skool Rave

https://www.youtube....h?v=oUpyAAHxBrw

Edited by Shorty Barlow, Yesterday, 01:16 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics