•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LDX55 EMC on Losmandy GM8...good deal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheMurph

TheMurph

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kitchener ON

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:25 PM

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to pick up an Meade LDX55 EMC 6" refractor on a Losmandy GM8 mount for $1500 Cdn (around $1150 US).  Everything looks tip top, the mount is fully functional (not really sure of any upgrades/options at the moment).  I have a Meade 102mm on basic mount, as well as a 10" and 12" reflectors.  I prefer to binoview, however I have long been thinking of a real motorized mount and this seems like a deal.  It would be my introduction to AP at some future point.  Any thoughts?  It's a package deal, all or nothing.  I like the idea a large refractor as well, fully understanding this is not a top notch refractor but something that would certainly get used at the cottage.  People flock to look through the 10" but of course knock any interesting targets out of view as they shuffle about.

TIA,

Murph

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:32 PM

The scope itself is worth $350-500 so mainly you are buying the mount. Is it GoTo or just tracking? A lot depends on the age and condition of the mount, and if it is GoTo. I like to think telescopes are forever, but mounts have moving parts, motors, electronics, so they eventually die. A GM8 is good quality and will last longer than most, but of course you could have a brand new AVX for less than you are paying for a used (GoTo, tracking?) GM8.

So what scope do you plan on imaging with? Your Meade 4” Apo?

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 30 November 2019 - 05:34 PM.

#3 TheMurph

TheMurph

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kitchener ON

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

If this has GoTo would the deal seem better?  I 'm just sussing out opinions on the used Losmandy I guess, the scope is just a nice, impressive looking bonus.  To be clear, it would be well used.

Any potential future AP would be done with a better, as yet unpurchased (or even researched) scope.  It was just a nice thought that with a good mount I could someday tinker with AP.  The whole thing just looks big and impressive and if all works well (with GoTo) I wanted to know if there was real value here.  From what I understand the GM8 is more easily modified and tinkered with as opposed to having to ship it off if something should occur.  

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Around $1000 is the normal price for a used non GO-TO G8 mount in the U.S. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics