•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Home made 'polishing pitch'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 curiosis

curiosis

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:10 AM

Greetings,
Since it is not possible to find 'polishing pitch' in local market where I live, I want to try to make it. Currently, I'm about to mix and melt colophony, beeswax and turpentine to see if it would be possible to make a suitable mixture that will not deform easily yet conform the curve in my 8" f/6 mirror. The weight ratio of these will be 91/6/3 respectively.
Can someone give a better formula?

#2 Stefan Rostyne

Stefan Rostyne

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:48 AM

You should also try a mix without beeswax. I experienced it not to mix very well with colophony. I also made a successfull pith with 'carbopith', an industrial component from a local asphalt producing company. It was very hard stuff, but it was easily softened with turpentine or white spirit. Didn't use beeswax in that mix either.

#3 greenglass

greenglass

Apollo

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

I just boiled pine gum in a can from blobs on tree trunks, Ew there was a worm living in that stuff.

#4 Chriske

Chriske

Kijkerbouw Urania

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:00 AM

While it's swimming in that stuff give him some soap so it can open it's eyes again to see what your up to... :lol:

#5 curiosis

curiosis

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:24 AM

I've just received some valuable information from an expert. The receipt is from a book, Procedures in Applied Optics, by John Strong (1989).

He suggests:
2 lb coal tar (melting point, 170 to 180 degrees F)
4 oz. Pine tar
1.5 oz. beeswax
2-3 cc. Venice turpentine
Melt the tar, add remaining ingredients in order listed, stir well after each addition.

I hope this formula helps to other Amateur Telescope Makers living in countries where commercial pitch is not available.

I'll try the formula and provide feedback about my findings.
Regards

Curiosis

#6 Stefan Rostyne

Stefan Rostyne

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:04 AM

Please keep us informed on your results. Take care with carbon tar, this stuff is highly carcinogene!

#7 curiosis

curiosis

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:02 AM

Greetings,

During the weekend I've experimented with various proportions of the ingredients. It seems that the original formula provides a very soft pitch for summer (> 85 F)temperatures.

I've then decreased the amounts for pine tar, turpentine and beeswax in order to make it hard and it worked.

You can take a look at the photograph of the finished 6" lap @ http://tinyurl.com/obg7f (sorry web site is in Turkish w/o English translation yet)

Conclusions so far;

- If you can not buy pitch from the local market, then it is possible to make it,
- The working temperature is a VERY important criteria for pitch so the formulation has to be adjusted accordingly, especially for the hot weather,
- Coal tar is very difficult to work with. Colophane is easier but more brittle. Eventually, I'm sure that both can be used in pitch formula.

Regards,

Curiosis

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics