•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Ultrascan 80/UO Kit (F6.25) - M54 threads?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jessebear

jessebear

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Junction, CO

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:25 PM

Hello everyone! Sorry to make two of these between here and the old ATM thread, but I just picked up one of these and hoped to ask a few questions. My wife is really mad at me for buying this, so I'd like to show her how much use I'll get out of it before she starts asking me to sell it.

I thought mine was a kit as it has been painted white, but the focuser still reads 'Orion', so perhaps it was just repainted (and quite well at that). Seems to be a great scope, but I'd like to get a few things sorted. Unfortunately the spacers between the lens elements have migrated a bit, so I'll need replace those and clean the lens while I'm at it. Not a big deal, but I need to do it. It's missing the nylon-tipped lock screw for the focuser, but again this is pretty minor.

My biggest issue is in trying to use 2" eyepieces. It came with a very nice 1.25" thread-on adapter and dielectric diagonal, but the 2" eyepiece holder it came with is cheap plastic (screws and all), and its threads are stripped. I'd like to get a new one of these in aluminum, but I can't find one I'm sure will fit. I think the male threads on the end are M54-0.75, but I can't find a 2" eyepiece holder that fits this size apart from a WO Rotolock or Baader Click-Lock. Both are a bit spendy for what I'm planning - I really just want an aluminum version of what I've already got. Any ideas or other sage wisdom? Thank you all!

sDlBaFC.jpg
2MiZWHD.jpg
Mj72wPj.jpg

• stevew likes this

#2 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

Not answering your question but I think University Optics sold that same one unpainted as a kit. I believe your scope is Japan made & maybe the glass is ED?

Jim

Edited by JIMZ7, 01 December 2019 - 04:54 PM.

#3 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

I believe your scope is Japan made & maybe the glass is ED?

Jim

I had one of those in the early 90s. It's not ED glass.

It is the original Orion Short Tube 80.

Back then all of the Orion labeled telescopes were high quality Japanese made.

The original color is black gloss.

Sorry I cant help with the thread size question.

#4 jessebear

jessebear

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Grand Junction, CO

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:38 PM

Thank you for the information gentlemen, I really appreciate it!

#5 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:52 PM

About 20 something years ago Lowell Observatory had one of those scopes set up in their display center focused at a picture of Mars on a distant wall.

The display was to inform people about seeing. There was a button on the display that was connected to a hidden hair dryer, when the button was pressed warm air would shoot passed the objective lens and the image of mars through the eyepiece would scintillate to show the public what bad seeing would look like. 

#6 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:57 PM

My wife is really mad at me for buying this, so I'd like to show her how much use I'll get out of it before she starts asking me to sell it.

Been there....

Attached Thumbnails

• post-242590-0-29030900-1552257335.jpg

#7 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:04 PM

I didn't create the above meme, but I'd like to thank the person who did, as it gave me the biggest laugh I've had in a long time...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics