•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help in I.D.ing a Bausch & Lomb Microscope

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:05 PM

Recently picked up 2 of these Bausch & Lomb Microscopes.    I was hoping someone could help with telling me the model number?    Also an approximate age.   A bonus would be if someone could steer me towards instructions on their proper use also.   Thank you in advance.    I'm at a loss with my research on the internet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1201191057 (300x533).jpg
  • 1201191057b (450x800).jpg
  • 1201191059 (450x800).jpg

#2 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:06 PM

more photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1201191059a (450x800).jpg
  • 1201191058 (450x800).jpg

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

Hi, madeline! Well, I once had one of that exact same make and model... but gave a bunch of scopes to a guy from (DC, Virginia, New Jersey?) about twenty five years ago. I think that went with them. He literally loaded up his big van to the gills and returned overloaded and happy. And my barn had a wee bit more space, so I was also happy. Mine was in very good shape, but I recall that the vertical fine-focus mechanism there was hung up... probably just dried out grease, easily fixed. I always liked that one, because of the nice flowing artistic presentation and the unusual mechanism.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I'm not into the heritage of microscopes... other than the vintage B&L are uniformly wonderful. Yours looks like it was a real workhorse but otherwise should refurbish nicely. Can always say the ~patina~ gives it character... which is my attitude on these. Just cleaned up and functional... stick it under a bell jar and it takes on a museum display character, worthy of a place of honor.    Tom

• madeline likes this

#4 vertex2100

vertex2100

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magic kingdom

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

You can estimate the ages from the serial numbers. https://user.xmissio...IntheWindow.pdf
  • madeline likes this

#5 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hi, madeline! Well, I once had one of that exact same make and model... but gave a bunch of scopes to a guy from (DC, Virginia, New Jersey?) about twenty five years ago. I think that went with them. He literally loaded up his big van to the gills and returned overloaded and happy. And my barn had a wee bit more space, so I was also happy. Mine was in very good shape, but I recall that the vertical fine-focus mechanism there was hung up... probably just dried out grease, easily fixed. I always liked that one, because of the nice flowing artistic presentation and the unusual mechanism.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I'm not into the heritage of microscopes... other than the vintage B&L are uniformly wonderful. Yours looks like it was a real workhorse but otherwise should refurbish nicely. Can always say the ~patina~ gives it character... which is my attitude on these. Just cleaned up and functional... stick it under a bell jar and it takes on a museum display character, worthy of a place of honor.    Tom

Thank you for your help.

#6 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:37 AM

You can estimate the ages from the serial numbers. https://user.xmissio...IntheWindow.pdf

Thanks, that should help.   I hope to clean them up this week.

#7 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:12 AM

One more question for you guys.     Could someone please 'paint me a picture' as to where I might find the serial numbers?    I've looked everywhere and if they are there Bausch & Lomb sure does a good job of hiding them.    Thanks all.

#8 vertex2100

vertex2100

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Magic kingdom

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:49 AM

One like yours. Must be a serial number on it somewhere. They found theirs. https://www.ebay.com...KcAAOSw8o9d4u8j

#9 madeline

madeline

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:05 PM

One like yours. Must be a serial number on it somewhere. They found theirs. https://www.ebay.com...KcAAOSw8o9d4u8j

Thanks but that didn't help.   Checked the internet and no luck in finding out the location of the serial number.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics