•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron's 5" Mak - Should I?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:32 PM

Amazon has it on a Cyber Monday sale and so it's tempting.  But I'm trying to come up with a reason to get it.  

I've got an EdgeHD 8 which I love.  This Mak (the NexStar 127SLT) would certainly be more "grab-and-go" but beyond that, are there any other good reasons to own it?

#2 Ssayer

Ssayer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E Michigan

Posted 02 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

If you like your 8", I'm really not quite sure what you'd need with a 5"er...

#3 jaraxx

jaraxx

Messenger

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

I have an Orion Apex 127 Mak that has traveled down a fair number of jeep trails / forest service roads without suffering any problems, so it ranks fairly high for durability if you're into that kind of thing. I'd put it up against the Edge 8 in this category with some confidence. That confidence would not extend to the astronomical images category.

#4 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:11 PM

You get a Mak for the lack of issues: They can take a pounding and stay aligned. They are also sharp. Just don't expect it to show more than your C8.

Edited by Peter Besenbruch, 02 December 2019 - 11:12 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics