•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

North American

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:51 PM

Ektachrome E100 SW (Old stock)

Takahashi FCT-65

25 Minutes "Manual Guiding"

Attached Thumbnails

• North American CN.jpg

Edited by TxStars, 02 December 2019 - 05:13 PM.

• Joe F Gafford, Todd N, eros312 and 7 others like this

#2 canondslr

canondslr

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

That looks fantastic!  And with an older stock too! Curious how that would look with the new Ektachrome. 

Great to see such solid results with manual guiding.  At a similar focal length, around 300mm, I'd lose confidence beyond 2 or 3 minutes with my current set up. Even with an intensive drift alignment. It works fine for digital stacking, but not for a one off long exposure film image. 

Thanks for sharing!

Thomas

#3 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:15 PM

Its not bad for being shot on the road side with 10min of drift alignment.

There are some small streaks from tank development and a fair number of dust specs from not having my dust blower with me..

I was going to shoot the new stock right after, but clouds rolled in..

#4 telesonic

telesonic

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Idaho - USA

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:20 PM

Ahh... good old roadside guerilla film astrophotography, wait.... what the!? lol.gif

Now I've just got this picture in my head... imagine some CN member(s) traveling around in a classic ride - with a vintage scope kit, film cameras and the like.... setting up on some obscure scenic overlook. "Drift alignment looks good - time, 25 minutes - shutter open" he says to himself ready at the guiding eyepiece. Curious passersby wonder as he drives away into the night, "did we just see a time-travelar?" 

Well done Tx, bow.gif waytogo.gif

Cheers,

Temp

#5 Michal1

Michal1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:45 AM

Nice pic! How old is it? I like how the stars look like. Maybe the apo scope made then so nice. What focusing method did you use?

#6 TxStars

TxStars

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

@ Michal1

The image was taken last month  11/22/2019

I use a Takahashi FM-60 (60x  focusing Microscope) and ground glass on the film rails.

@telesonic

"Now I've just got this picture in my head... imagine some CN member(s) traveling around in a classic ride - with a vintage scope kit, film cameras and the like.... setting up on some obscure scenic overlook. "Drift alignment looks good - time, 25 minutes - shutter open" he says to himself ready at the guiding eyepiece. Curious passersby wonder as he drives away into the night, "did we just see a time-travelar?"

This is how we did Lunar graze timings in the 80's -90's.  A group of 5-20 people, but not with classic cars tho..  hahaha

• telesonic likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics