•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark Sites - Alamogordo, NM

observing star party
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:32 PM

I'm going to be in that area next April.

Any suggestions on good, safe, dark sites within say an hour or so from Alamogordo?

Edited by Dave Bush, 02 December 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

Cloudcroft maybe? Just down 82 from Alamogordo and about 8800' elevation. Lots of tourists go there.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

Moving to General Observing and Astronomy for a better fit.

#4 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Might be some good material for future reference. popcorn.gif

• paul likes this

#5 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Mayhill is on the opposite side of the range from Alamogordo and is good - I observed there back in 2001. Its the home of NMSkies remote observatories.

Best bet is to head North up the 54 from Alamogordo - its nice and dark out there. I just pulled off the road and setup in random clearings, traffic is almost non existent out there so not a problem.

I stayed at Star Hill Inn up in Sapello but we drove south to find darker skies.

Edited by ChristopherBeere, Yesterday, 05:41 PM.

• Astroman007 likes this

#6 Splat32

Splat32

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted Yesterday, 06:08 PM

I am amazed at the transparency of the skies even from only 10 miles south of Alamogordo at Oliver Lee Memorial State Park. I was able to see the Andromeda Galaxy naked eye, which I've never been able to do, even when I attended the Nebraska Star Party several times. The park's group shelter is used by the local astronomy club once a month for their public outreach events. Even with the town 1000' below and 10 miles away, the skies are pretty amazing. There are also a number of forestry service campgrounds near Cloudcroft that would be safe.

• Astroman007 likes this

#7 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted Yesterday, 07:01 PM

.......I was able to see the Andromeda Galaxy naked eye, which I've never been able to do, even when I attended the Nebraska Star Party several times.....

Really? confused1.gif 

Was it cloudy at the NSP? 

It's just perceptible naked eye here 15 miles southwest of Denver once it's at the zenith or to the west (away from the Denver light dome), and I am by no means a dark site.

• Astroman007 likes this

#8 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 PM

OP/Dave: 

Are you looking for observing sites, where you'll head back to a hotel? Or places to observe/camp?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, star party

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics