•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

the chance to get my hands on an orion eon 120mm.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyday

sunnyday

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:57 PM

Hello.
good evening.
I have the chance to get my hands on an orion eon 120mm.
I know this telescope is no longer available, I have read several reviews here of the time he was out on the market.
  all the reviews were good
i wonder if i should buy it or buy something else like a 103 mm william optic.
for visual only
thank you for your suggestions
help by google translate lol

#2 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:07 PM

From what I have seen and read about these, I don't think you can go wrong.
They are beautiful, and have a reputation as excellent performers.

You will need a bigger mount though, so better plan for that in the budget...

• sunnyday likes this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:22 PM

I was thinking of 

https://www.ioptron....t-p/8900-tp.htm

Edited by sunnyday, 02 December 2019 - 10:23 PM.

#4 Jond105

Jond105

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:27 PM

I wouldn’t hesitate to get one of those if I could. The ioptron should hold it, though I don’t really know. Either way the EON will be such a great scope visually as I had it’s cousin the Skywatcher 120ED

• sunnyday likes this

#5 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:29 PM

Without seeing it or knowing your cost, if you're satisfied with the deal then you should take it over just about any scope around a 100mm. If it's this one then it is a superb refractor, all the EONs I've seen are.

https://www.telescop...c/10/p/9925.uts

• Jon Isaacs and sunnyday like this

#6 sunnyday

sunnyday

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:32 PM

Without seeing it or knowing your cost, if you're satisfied with the deal then you should take it over just about any scope around a 100mm. If it's this one then it is a superb refractor, all the EONs I've seen are.

https://www.telescop...c/10/p/9925.uts

that the one

it costs 1599 $ canadian it is $ 1200 us

Edited by sunnyday, 02 December 2019 - 10:35 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

i wonder if i should buy it...

Yes!

I had one and was very, very happy.  I only got rid of it because a 130mm dream scope crossed my path.  The Eon 120 went to a friend who is just as happy as I was (and I know where to find it when I want to have a look through it! )

• sunnyday likes this

#8 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:49 PM

that the one

It's a really nice scope for that kind of money, all the EONs I've ever seen or read about are top notch scopes. If you don't have a refractor and want one, that 120mm might be the sweet spot. I don't know enough about the mount that you mentioned except to say it doesn't look like my idea of fun, but you should get the scope for sure. Get the scope, and then look for a killer deal on a mount, too.

• sunnyday likes this

#9 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:55 PM

Get it quickly while you can! That mount looks awesome BTW.

• sunnyday likes this

#10 Dougal

Dougal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:03 AM

Echo what the others said, you can’t go wrong with that scope. Many happy owner around here, I have one and love it. 

Speaking of which...Paging hfjacinto! Helder, this Eon 120 thread is over two hours old and you haven’t posted one of your stellar images yet?? :)

#11 Magnus Ahrling

Magnus Ahrling

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Visby, Sweden 57:30N.

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:12 PM

Hello,

I have the SW 120ED Equinox which is identical to Orion EON. I have had it since -february -14 and I am very pleased with it. Never regreted my purchase. The scope came in perfect collimation. I can`t notice any astigmatism, maybe som slight SA but nothing that I can notice while actually observing even at mag up to 400X. I have notised slight, very slight CA at Vega at 360X out of focus but at focus it disappears.

The retrectable dewcap is very nice as I also find the focuser.

I agree this 120ED refractor is the sweet spot of refractor  -easy to handle and still decent aperture for a refractor.

The only negative I can find about it is the "collar" controlling the rotatable focuser  -it can be a bit stiff. In my sample anyway.

The mount I use is an old CG5GT or a Vixen GP. No problem! 

Maybe I should add I am 100% visual observer!!

-Magnus

• Jon Isaacs and sunnyday like this

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:10 PM

that the one

I have owned two 120mm Eon's.  I sold the first one, in part because I was feeling like I had spent too much on three used Ethos eyepieces.  I soon realized that had been a mistake and when someone I knew on Cloudy Nights had one for sale, I jumped on it.  

I think $1200 is about right for a 120 Eon in excellent shape.  I think I paid $1150 for my two and sold the first one for something very close to that, That include shipping.  

They're beautiful scopes, stunning with the gloss black and chrome trim.  The rings are machined aluminum, basically the same rings that William Optics, Astro-Tech and StellarVue use.  The optics are Skywatcher 120mm F/7.5 FPL-53 doublets.  The focuser is a good one, I never had a problem with it and I use eyepieces like the 31mm Nagler etc.

When I was looking for something with more zoot than my 4 inch apo, I looked aroud.  The 127mm and 130mm's were just too big to be grab and go, the SkyWatcher 120EDs were the right size, weight and length but they just were not spiffy enough for my spoiled aesthetic sensibilities.  The Eon is just right.

The optics on both them seem very good, the split close doubles like zeta Herculis at 1.4" at magnitudes 3.0-5.4. The planetary views are crisp and sharp and color free to my eye..  Someone younger might see some CA.. 

This is Eon #2 on a StellarVue MG-2 mount.  I really like slow motion controls.  The mount is no longer made but it seems to be a one sided version of the Sky Tee 2.  I go 500x with it.

Eon Number 2 Backyard 1.jpg

Jon

• Magnus Ahrling and sunnyday like this

#13 sunnyday

sunnyday

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:17 PM

Jon Isaacs.

thank you very much for your answer.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics