•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The sky tonite

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LDW47

LDW47

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:06 PM

I took my 127mm refractor out to the backyard tonite about 9 o’clock, the sky was clear, not a cloud, the temp was -9°C, no wind, transparency was rated normal, seeing was rated good and Auriga was hanging almost straight up and Cassiopeia was above that while Orion was at about 30-35° or a bit more in the SE. I had my 2” 40mm, 70° and my 2” 30mm, 82°, attached to it was a Celestron UHC filter for the Orion neb. and there I began, looking at it square in the centre, right in the face and it looked great so during my time out I went back to it several times, the hunger was there. I saw much of everything Orion could offer and also flipped over to the Rosette but nothing special and then on to Auriga and its 3 clusters and they looked great as usual through my 2 eps less the UHC, then a short jump to Cassiopeia to the Double Cluster which never changes, only the conditions. By now the cold was starting to penetrate my thin wool gloves but I couldn’t resist Orion one more time and then I had enough ! But the story doesn’t end, I have my 62mm, f4.8 refractor cooling down and I’m going to have some fun with it as soon as get off of here, lol ! I can hardly wait !

Edited by LDW47, 02 December 2019 - 10:10 PM.

• russell23, bbqediguana and wrnchhead like this

#2 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:12 PM

Love the simplicity of just getting out there with a couple wide TFOV eyepiece and just taking in the winter sky!   Especially in that cold the less times eyepieces and filters have to be swapped the longer the  hands stay warm.   If we get the polar vortex again this winter I might just try to do my deep sky observing with just a single eyepiece in one of my refractors. 

• LDW47 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics