•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Seeking advice re: the Complete 17-Volume ESA Hipparcos Tycho Catalogue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 H-D Moose

H-D Moose

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: 37 degrees, 24.2 minutes North

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:27 PM

Fellow CN'ers,

I need some advice (this is not a solicitation - I even read the CN Forum TOS to ensure this would be an appropriate question).

Years ago (during my military career) I purchased a 17-Volume set of the Complete ESA Hipparcos Tycho Catalogue.  I bought it from a professional astronomer in Germany ... I believe (that is, if I recall correctly) it was his personal set, one he didn't use, because there were multiple sets at the observatory(?).  The main reason I bought it: Volumes 14, 15, and 16 is the Millennium Star Atlas and the 17-Volume set was available and the MSA wasn't.  Okay, maybe the main reason I bought it was because having the 17-volume set on the bookcase looked cool - especially since I didn't know anyone else who owned it?!

I'm looking to sell it on the Classifieds (it might be cost prohibitive to ship - it must be at least 100 lbs) but I have no idea how to fairly price it.  My question: has anyone seen this for sale?  I thought I saw it once here, or maybe AM (many years ago when I belonged), but the complete set is not coming up in my searches in the USA (where it wasn't widely available). 

Anyway, I know we have many sage people on CN who would know more about this set's fair value than I do.

Thanks in advance,

Troy

P.S.

These are the titles in the set:

Vol 1: Introduction and Guide to the Data
Vol 2: The Hipparcos Satellite Operations
Vol 3: Construction of the Hipparcos Catalogue
Vol 4: Construction of the Tycho Catalogue
Vol 5: The Hipparcos catalogue RA: 0h-4h, HIP: 1-18677
Vol 6: The Hipparcos catalogue  RA: 4h-9h, HIP: 18601-44180
Vol 7: The Hipparcos Catalogue  RA: 9h-14h, HIP: 44101-68389
Vol 8: The Hipparcos Catalogue  RA: 14h-19h, HIP: 68301-93276
Vol 9: The Hipparcos catalogue  RA: 19h-24h, HIP: 93201-118322
Vol 10: Double and Multiple Systems Annex + Solar System Objects
Vol 11: Hipparcos Variability Annex
Vol 12: Hipparcos Light Curves
Vol 13: Identification Charts
Vols 14-16: Sky & Telescope's Millennium Star Atlas
Vol 17: 6 ASCII CD-ROMs

#2 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:56 AM

Offhand, my guess is that it isn't worth much at all. Even when it was published, imost people preferred this kind of information in electronic form, and that's much truer now than it was then.

By the way, the volume that I use most often from the hardcover set is the one with light curves for variable stars. Very useful if you need to know that kind of thing.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: GTA, ON, Canada

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:08 AM

I'm always was interested in catalogues and atlases in their original paper form. Don't know if I would wanted 17 volumes (not enough space), thou I have Millennium Atlas.

A quick google search shows, that original price in 1997 year, was around $400 (or 650 Dutch Florins) for all 17 volumes, and $100 for Volume 1 and 17 only. Some Amazon seller sells separate volumes between $60 to $80 per each. Also, it contains Millennium Atlas, which going on CN classified or AM for $250-300. Inflation calculator shows 1997 $400 worst around $650.

May be another $350 for rarity, so IMHO, $1000 is fair price for the collection.But, again IMHO, in reality it will sell not more than $500.

• turtle86 likes this

#4 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:42 AM

Fellow CN'ers,

I need some advice (this is not a solicitation - I even read the CN Forum TOS to ensure this would be an appropriate question).

Years ago (during my military career) I purchased a 17-Volume set of the Complete ESA Hipparcos Tycho Catalogue.  I bought it from a professional astronomer in Germany ... I believe (that is, if I recall correctly) it was his personal set, one he didn't use, because there were multiple sets at the observatory(?).  The main reason I bought it: Volumes 14, 15, and 16 is the Millennium Star Atlas and the 17-Volume set was available and the MSA wasn't.  Okay, maybe the main reason I bought it was because having the 17-volume set on the bookcase looked cool - especially since I didn't know anyone else who owned it?!

I'm looking to sell it on the Classifieds (it might be cost prohibitive to ship - it must be at least 100 lbs) but I have no idea how to fairly price it.  My question: has anyone seen this for sale?  I thought I saw it once here, or maybe AM (many years ago when I belonged), but the complete set is not coming up in my searches in the USA (where it wasn't widely available). 

Anyway, I know we have many sage people on CN who would know more about this set's fair value than I do.

Thanks in advance,

Troy

P.S.

These are the titles in the set:

Vol 1: Introduction and Guide to the Data
Vol 2: The Hipparcos Satellite Operations
Vol 3: Construction of the Hipparcos Catalogue
Vol 4: Construction of the Tycho Catalogue
Vol 5: The Hipparcos catalogue RA: 0h-4h, HIP: 1-18677
Vol 6: The Hipparcos catalogue  RA: 4h-9h, HIP: 18601-44180
Vol 7: The Hipparcos Catalogue  RA: 9h-14h, HIP: 44101-68389
Vol 8: The Hipparcos Catalogue  RA: 14h-19h, HIP: 68301-93276
Vol 9: The Hipparcos catalogue  RA: 19h-24h, HIP: 93201-118322
Vol 10: Double and Multiple Systems Annex + Solar System Objects
Vol 11: Hipparcos Variability Annex
Vol 12: Hipparcos Light Curves
Vol 13: Identification Charts
Vols 14-16: Sky & Telescope's Millennium Star Atlas
Vol 17: 6 ASCII CD-ROMs

One set came up for sale a few years back on eBay. I gave it some serious thought but backed off due to the sheer amount of space they would take up on my bookcase and realizing I would never use anything but the MSA. The seller's price was reasonable enough, around $400-500 IIRC, as he was moving and needed to unload them.

The whole set is a niche item IMHO--most people only want the MSA and would prefer the data in the other volumes in digital form. Not sure that it's "collectible" now, though it may well be 20-30 years later. The MSA alone is worth around $300 or so today, but it's hard to say how much value the rest of the volumes would add. I agree with Alex that the ceiling is probably around $500.
  • Alex_V likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics