•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is particle board good for mailing mirror blanks?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:29 PM

I'm aware of the foam packing methods. Wondering if this would work with less or thinner foam.

My neighbor throws away many old cabinets made of particle board. I'm wondering if they are cut to size with corner braces and nailed together, octagon inside, how well would the particle board protect a mirror blank? Or is foam definitely necessary? A plastic bag might further reduce scratch risk.

00z0z_7pjV9tOHZ4d_1200x900.jpg

Edited by stargazer193857, 03 December 2019 - 03:26 PM.

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:19 AM

I would only consider it if I had no other option and didn't mind losing my blanks. Take a look at Spectrum's web site for packing and shipping instructions. https://www.spectrum...ngs.com/packing

• PrestonE and John Lightholder like this

#3 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:53 AM

MDF is not a strong wood, it could break if thrown into a truck. Cardboard works fine for shipping. A box in a box (foam around the internal box) works best. I have shipped many optics this way for decades.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

• PrestonE and luxo II like this

#4 dave brock

dave brock

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:01 AM

MDF is not particle board and is stronger against impact.

#5 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

"If I say something in a forest and my wife isn't there to hear it, am I still wrong?"

Of course you are, Dave. It's printed in bold type right there on page one of the marriage handbook!

https://www.youtube....h?v=RiiQzxD1ma0

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 03 December 2019 - 11:17 AM.

• airbleeder likes this

#6 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

My neighbor throws away many old cabinets made of particle board. I'm wondering if they are cut to size with corner braces and nailed together, octagon inside, how well would the particle board protect a mirror blank? Or is foam definitely necessary? A plastic bag might further reduce scratch risk.

Maybe for the outer shell, but you will still need to use at least 2" of foam all around the mirror for protection.

Didn't you have a thread on packaging mirrors just a short time ago?  

#7 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Maybe for the outer shell, but you will still need to use at least 2" of foam all around the mirror for protection.

Didn't you have a thread on packaging mirrors just a short time ago?

I did. I could have combined them. I hoped free particleboard could negate the need to foam and foam circles. I guess the circles could still make siding and save a square.

#8 Oregon-raybender

Oregon-raybender

Optical Research Engineer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, South Western Coast

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:57 PM

There are many forums on the subject of packing optics for shipping, I and others have posted.

Yes MDF is OK, but you have to make a strong box, using glue and screws, which can break during shipping.

The bigger issue is weight, that is why cardboard or shipping case works best.

I use layer plywood or case for shipping large optics, 16 inch and larger. The box is strapped or the latch on the case are protected and locked.

Foam inserts work great, at least 2-3 inches about the box, with cutout for the blank. You have to remember the box WILL be dropped at least 1-3 feet on average during shipping, plus the vibration. All this adds to how best to protect the optics. You will need foam or other inserts to assure the impacts is not transmitted to the optics. You are looking at 3-5 times of G force.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

Edited by Oregon-raybender, 03 December 2019 - 03:01 PM.

#9 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:15 PM

There are many forums on the subject of packing optics for shipping, I and others have posted.

Yes MDF is OK, but you have to make a strong box, using glue and screws, which can break during shipping.

The bigger issue is weight, that is why cardboard or shipping case works best.

I use layer plywood or case for shipping large optics, 16 inch and larger. The box is strapped or the latch on the case are protected and locked.

Foam inserts work great, at least 2-3 inches about the box, with cutout for the blank. You have to remember the box WILL be dropped at least 1-3 feet on average during shipping, plus the vibration. All this adds to how best to protect the optics. You will need foam or other inserts to assure the impacts is not transmitted to the optics. You are looking at 3-5 times of G force.

Starry Nightswaytogo.gif

I was thinking of screws and nails. I was thinking of large corner diagonals that touch the blank, giving cantilever shock absorption, and keeping it 1/4" from the sides. The faces or their edges would need padding, and a bag would prevent scratches.

Foam might not be too much hassle though. It tends to booger up when cut.

Weight of the particle board is another issue, for cost of shipping. But they have cost brackets. Then it comes down to just carrying the heavy box.

Edited by stargazer193857, 03 December 2019 - 03:18 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics