•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fingers crossed -- think iOptron has done me a solid, here

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fewayne

fewayne

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:33 PM

Y'all may recall some of the idiotic tribulations I inflicted on my poor long-suffering CEM-25P. I got an RMA and sent it in, and they just sent me a summary of the work they did on it. They tracked down problems I didn't even know I had, replaced some parts that I didn't know were broken (in addition to diagnosing and fixing the problems I specified), and did a bunch of cleaning and belt-tightening.

Then they told me that they were waiving the labor costs for all that, even though the warranty had expired before I contacted them (much less sent them the unit).

I know that the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, but I am super-stoked. I can't wait to get it back and try it out! And if it's much better, well, now I have a whole list of stupid things not to do to my mount, so I have some hope it will stay that way.

• Scott Mitchell, bobzeq25, gundark and 3 others like this

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:24 PM

Iopron has been taking a beating lately with EC problems. So it's nice to hear a good story. I'm sure they are and have been working hard to fix the EC issues.

I personally have had no real problems with either of the two mounts I had (CEM25P) or the one I now have now the CEM60.

• OldManSky likes this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:30 PM

Iopron has been taking a beating lately with EC problems. So it's nice to hear a good story. I'm sure they are and have been working hard to fix the EC issues.

I personally have had no real problems with either of the two mounts I had (CEM25P) or the one I now have now the CEM60.

https://images-na.ss...91jK9qwJdkL.jpg

is this the one ?

#4 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:31 PM

Nice to read Ioptron solve some problems for you...but making a mount without would something even better.

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:32 PM

I was thinking of

https://www.ioptron....t-p/8900-tp.htm

is this a good mount ?

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Vanguard

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:43 PM

Same here. My CEM25P has been aces, and I just bought a CEM60 today... :)

• scadvice and richorn like this

#7 fewayne

fewayne

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:58 PM

Sunnyday: Sorry, no data on the 8900. All I know is that it's an alt-azimuth mount, so unsuitable for deep-sky.

WRT implications on iOptron quality control: I really have no beef whatsoever with how the thing came from them. When I referred to "idiotic tribulations", I wasn't kidding, I literally blush to recall some of the bonehead things I did to the mount before I knew any better. Certainly cross-connecting the DEC drive cable to the ST-4 input was the prize. How many people can say they've literally made their mount smoke?

(In my defense, if plugging a cable into the wrong place will hurt something, those places shouldn't use the same connectors. Nor should you use dark-gray lettering ON A MATTE BLACK FINISH to label those connections, if the intended use is at night by tired people! Admittedly it looks very sleek and fetching in daylight, but to a 60-year-old myopic wearing a dim red headlamp, they may as well have saved their paint -- it's effectively unreadable.)

#8 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:10 AM

How many people can say they've literally made their mount smoke?

*lifts a finger*

Not a mount, but a (cheap) motorized filter wheel.  Wanted to test it on the table, needed 12V, so I used the power supply of my Vixen GPDX DD-2 controller.

Which, as others might recall, has reversed polarity on the plug bangbang.gif

Sorry for OT, and have fun with the re-animated mount lol.gif

• OldManSky likes this

#9 fewayne

fewayne

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:38 AM

The hilarious thing is that mount soldiered on for most of a year after I fried the ST-4 circuitry.

I suppose that it's also possible that I did a reverse-polarity thing to the mount at some point. The barrel connectors make that hard, but when I connect the wiring harness to the battery, there's only my attention ensuring that the Magic Smoke is not let out again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics