•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone One Ever Compare the otipcs of a C5+ to a Japan Special Optics 127mm SCT

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:34 PM

I know that this is expecially weird one with a long shot. I will receiving a complete Celestron C5+ system, (single arm equatorial system with wegde and aluminum tripod, acc. tray, corector plate cover, full size white light solar filter, viusal back with William Optics 1.25" dielectric diagonal with TV 24mm Panoptic,9 X 50 meade finder with dove-tail adapter, dec motor with hand controller and last but not least, the OTA with specially molded case).

Whew! That was a mouth-full.

My question is how does the Celestron C5+ compare, optically, with other medium to high end 5-inch SCT. Obvioiulsy it it not a F/14 to F/18 Maksutov and as a rule, normally rhat most MCT seem to have can outperform SCT if the manufacturers are of a reputable outfit.

Please, I am looking for to hearing about your comparissons of various 5-inch Schmidt Cassgreain Telescopes. Also, is it worth installing a Telrad and getting the Plastic field version for the enitre Messier catalogue.

Can anyone thinkof anythign the I may have missed which would enhance my viewing sessions. BTW, I do have a dolley with four wheels and a large for ease of  use.

Looking forward to hearing from you and your experiences.

Clear Skies.

RalphMeisterTigerfMan

also

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

The C5 is a really fun little scope.  Congrats on your new package.

I have no experience or test info on the JSO 127. 

The optical quality of all of the mass market scopes varies quite a bit.  I had one really excellent C5, and one with a turned edge.  

I would say then that with mass market MCTs and SCTs, life is like a box of chocolates; you never really are going to know the quality of what is inside until you test it.  Thinking that this or that mass produced telescope is going to have any magic is not really rational thinking. It takes a lot of time and effort to make really excellent optics, and this cannot be achieved at the price point that these scopes are sold for. A few might be excellent, a few might be less than diffraction limited, and most will be somewhere in between. 

Edited by Eddgie, 04 December 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:52 AM

Two C5s.. One lower-mid quality

http://fidgor.ru/Obs...t/test_143.html

And one that is (in my own way of grading) in the excellent range:

http://fidgor.ru/Obs...t/test_133.html

#4 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for you're replies. I have read mostly good things about the C5+ and I have always secretly wanted one since the ads first came out in 1992. Here it is 28 years later...oh well, sometimes things take a while.

I have been planning on scaling back and downsizing since my hernia problems. Now that I have been diagnosed with heart disease after my first heart attack approx. one month ago, I am glad I will be getting something lighter and more portable (it is still en route from Ont.) I will be posting pics and giving my opinions once I have had first light.

Here's wishing for a good one!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#5 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for you're replies. I have read mostly good things about the C5+ and I have always secretly wanted one since the ads first came out in 1992. Here it is 28 years later...oh well, sometimes things take a while.

Here's wishing for a good one!
RalphMeisterTigerMan

I think the best C5s were the white ones on the single-arm fork table-top mount that came out in the early ‘90s. I used to have an early (1977) large-base die-cast orange-tube C5 (native 0.965”) that was pretty good.

#6 epee

epee

Gemini

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:03 PM

I think the world of my little C5+. While it's not currently my Grab&Go scope, I've said before that if I could only keep one scope, the C5+ would be it.

#7 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:53 PM

Here is an older thread with a comparison of the two:

https://www.cloudyni...4974-jso-5-sct/

I currently own a JSO 125 and it is a masterpiece optically and mechanically.

Edited by Eric P, 06 December 2019 - 08:55 PM.

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics