•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C11. BIG CAT !

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:10 AM

I aquired a C11, what a great Scope, the views are fantastic. Collimation is always the key.

With the C11 from my Balcony, I see DSOs as the SHOWPIECE OBJECTS that they are !

The Orion Nebula with the Binoviewers was incredible. I will check out the Moon through the Binoviewers, I am sure that it will be Spectacular as well.

Mark

• Scott Beith, Paul Hyndman, Erik Bakker and 6 others like this

#2 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:40 AM

Yes I agree, from going to a C8 to a C11... what a difference. 

My initial intentions getting my C11 was star parties and such ... after a few good nites  observing I removed my Meade 10in Schmitt newt and replaced it with the C11 inside my observatory ...the C8 is now back as my star party scope,  the Meade right beside that...

I found that a good collimate  and telrad makes this a great canon for the night sky.

Stevegeo,  Area3751 observatory,  Otisco ny .. under a FOOT of snow...IMG_20191020_161010_1571603220524.jpg

• Scott Beith, Erik Bakker, gfstallin and 1 other like this

#3 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:10 AM

I just sold my EdgeHD 14”. It was a great scope but too difficult to deal with, even with chair mounting it. Chair mounting it terrified me so it wasn’t an option. It was just heave ho and up on the mount!

I found a cherry EdgeHD 11” with FT focuser, dew strap, Bob’s Knob’s, Telrad, and rails for a really good price. It is now the big gun scope in the lineup and so much easier to deal with! The logistics of getting it on a mount are a breeze compared to the 14. And the views are none too shabby either. Good choice on your big cat!
  • Scott Beith, Erik Bakker, gfstallin and 1 other like this

#4 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:44 AM

I aquired a C11, what a great Scope, the views are fantastic. Collimation is always the key.

With the C11 from my Balcony, I see DSOs as the SHOWPIECE OBJECTS that they are !

The Orion Nebula with the Binoviewers was incredible. I will check out the Moon through the Binoviewers, I am sure that it will be Spectacular as well.

Mark

Congrats on the C11!  They are seriously impressive scopes. waytogo.gif

• clusterbuster likes this

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

I just sold my EdgeHD 14”. It was a great scope but too difficult to deal with, even with chair mounting it. Chair mounting it terrified me so it wasn’t an option. It was just heave ho and up on the mount!

I found a cherry EdgeHD 11” with FT focuser, dew strap, Bob’s Knob’s, Telrad, and rails for a really good price. It is now the big gun scope in the lineup and so much easier to deal with! The logistics of getting it on a mount are a breeze compared to the 14. And the views are none too shabby either. Good choice on your big cat!

LOL, I had to laugh a second when you said chair mount having issues, then I remember you're talking about having a chair positioned next to the GEM so you can attach it. 

The reason I laughed.. is because I have my 16" 'chair' mounted and am not concerned....  

Resized952018082495190800.jpg

• Scott Beith, Tyson M, gfstallin and 1 other like this

#6 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

Had a C11 for 15-years. In the 8, 9.25, 11 and 14” size, and considering portability and penetration, the C11 is my favorite size SCT.

Most C11s have decent optics and are really great for EAA and visual deep sky observing. They can be good for the planets and moon if you are aggressive with cooling and acclimation. In FL you shouldn’t have too much of an issue with temperature acclimation and your seeing will allow the C11 to take advantage of its larger aperture more often.

Have fun.

Bob

• Erik Bakker, gfstallin and clusterbuster like this

#7 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:13 PM

As much as I like my C11, I still imagine a C14 in my possession.  Unfortunately I would have to upgrade my mount and that is the stopper for me.  Our club has two C14’s, , one unused, that I could talk them out of but the $$ for a suitable mount holds me back.  I do recall comparing my SuperC8 with a C11 on globulars and it was no contest.  I guess my point is that I get a good percentage of what a C14 can do without having to break the bank on a suitable mount.  Mine also gives great planetary views and images and holds collimation very, very well.  

• Scott Beith, Jeffmar and clusterbuster like this

#8 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

LOL, I had to laugh a second when you said chair mount having issues, then I remember you're talking about having a chair positioned next to the GEM so you can attach it. 

The reason I laughed.. is because I have my 16" 'chair' mounted and am not concerned....

You are actually famous here for your 16” SCT chair! One heck of an innovative way of doing things. And yes, my method was having it rest on a chair while I mounted it. wink.gif

#9 dr.who

dr.who

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

As much as I like my C11, I still imagine a C14 in my possession.  Unfortunately I would have to upgrade my mount and that is the stopper for me.  Our club has two C14’s, , one unused, that I could talk them out of but the $$ for a suitable mount holds me back.  I do recall comparing my SuperC8 with a C11 on globulars and it was no contest.  I guess my point is that I get a good percentage of what a C14 can do without having to break the bank on a suitable mount.  Mine also gives great planetary views and images and holds collimation very, very well.

The EdgeHD 14/C14 will work for visual on a CGX. It is what I used with mine and I even have an email from Celestron saying that it will work fine for visual and not harm the mount. I also have a similar email from Astro Physics about it working, for visual, with no harm to the mount on a Mach1. It would also likely work for short duration EAA subs. So in terms of not breaking the bank a CGX would do the trick.

#10 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:45 PM

The EdgeHD 14/C14 will work for visual on a CGX. It is what I used with mine and I even have an email from Celestron saying that it will work fine for visual and not harm the mount. I also have a similar email from Astro Physics about it working, for visual, with no harm to the mount on a Mach1. It would also likely work for short duration EAA subs. So in terms of not breaking the bank a CGX would do the trick.

I recall C14’s were sold by Celestron with their G11 clone, the CL700(?), and later with the CGX.  I saw one mounted on the CGX and thought it a bit too tall for me.  The C11 solves the need for getting a real heavy duty mount and a Mach1, G11, etc can carry it with some headroom.  I can lift up my C11 up shoulder hight to slide it into the dovetail and I am only 5’4””.  The C14 would need two people or, as you did, the chair or alternate method.  Permanent mounting helps that if you can do it.  I have been advised that the C11 is a bit much for imaging with the Tak EM200 but I find it very solid, carrying the C11 easily for visual and imaging.  The short moment arm of the SCT format helps a lot here.  My heavy 8” MN is at the limit of the mount due in part to weight but the longer tube doesn’t help.  All in all, the C11 fits right into a niche where it is big enough to satisfy yet not too big to create all kinds of infrastructure issues.  

• Don W and clusterbuster like this

#11 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

I also feel like the C11 is the perfect size. Yeah, it's a bit on the heavy side, but I prefer to leave it set up in my back yard and don't travel with it.

• Bean614 likes this

#12 bykhed

bykhed

Viking 1

• Loc: Westminster, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:06 PM

May I piggyback a question on this thread - Do some C11 scopes have a standard SCT thread on the rear port vs. the 3.25" large SCT standard?

#13 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:35 PM

Yes, they have both. The smaller one can be removed to reveal the larger one.

#14 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:50 PM

clusterbuster,

We all know where this is going in a couple of years, so I'll save you a post.  A 14" scope is a worthwhile upgrade in aperture from a C11.  My C11 was replaced by a 14" scope a little over four years ago.  Like dr.who, I wouldn't use my new 14" if it weren't permanently mounted in my observatory.  I can lift it just fine, and have tip-in saddles for my mounts, but it's too big to transport in my car.

#15 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

Nice thing with using binoviewers with a C11 ( or other SCT), is that the backfocus accommodates it nicely and the 11 has enough aperture to provide a bright image for both eyes.

Edited by Dwight J, Yesterday, 05:49 AM.

• Jeff B and clusterbuster like this

#16 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:45 PM

I find the C11 to be in the sweet spot for bigger aperture SCT's.  Gobs of light, gobs of resolution and not all that heavy as it rides nicely on a Losmandy G11.

Good pick up.

• macdonjh likes this

#17 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted Yesterday, 02:49 AM

When I first tried binoviewers with my C11 I was really surprised how great solar system targets and even star clusters at dark sites looked. At public star parties my local club sponsors I slowly move the declination when visitors are looking at the moon through my binoviewer/C11 combination. Having never orbited the moon myself I can’t say if the experience is in any way similar but it sure seems like it is when the scope is panning. In good seeing, using binoviews on your C11,  you may never see  better view of Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars from  any other scope. Congratulations on your new C11!

• Don W, Paul Hyndman and clusterbuster like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics