•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

4.5 Delos, for mid-high power, in a 10” f/5 Dob

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rochester, IN

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:37 AM

I am getting a Meade 5 MWA for my, maybe, highest power fixed f.l. eyepiece. I am also getting a SW 5-8 zoom. I am wanting you use that with 1.5x or my BHZ/WO II ZOOM with 2.5x for high power stuff.
Anyway, the weather hasn’t been good and doesn’t look like it’s going to be good for awhile so I have things running around in my head.
I have no idea how any of the above are going to work or if I’ll even like them.
My question , finally 😂, is ... how does the 4.5 Delos perform in a 10” f/5 Dob. I have always liked Delos’ and kind of would like one but it seems like the 4.5 is the only one I can “fit in”.
I figure if I don’t like the 5 I can get the Delos. If not it isn’t “worth” the price/usage I might just use the barlows.
Anyway, I am only looking at the Delos, I am not really looking for suggestions for other eyepieces, I have tried most of them.
Thanks, in advance (at work so might not look for awhile) for sharing your experience
Rick

Edited by esd726, 03 December 2019 - 12:44 AM.

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

I would get a 5mm for high power with a 10” Dob. The Delos 4.5 would no doubt be excellent but not sure how that fits with two other 5mm. Barlowing a SW 5-8mm zoom will create quite a tall tower, possibly requiring a crane to get the eyepiece in and out. Seriously though, that would REALLY mess with balance. It would make a great picture though so post when you get a chance.

SW zoom requires A LOT of in focus. Throwing a barlow in could compound that. You may not be able to reach focus even without a barlow. Newts have limited focus travel so this zoom is less than ideal for them, but could work. Oh, and it isn’t really a minimum glass planetary eyepiece. But it could still be fun if you have a small dog to stand on the bottom of the scope for counterweight.

Scott
  • esd726 and eros312 like this

#3 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:06 AM

😂
Yeah, I’m not sure what I’m going to keep. If there is ever a clear night I hope to try everything. I sort of figured that with the SW, but I’ve wanted to try one for a very long time so figured, why not. I wanted to try out the 5 MWA too. I might not keep any, the WO zoom has been with me for years so that IS staying. It is just how I like the 5, SW w screw on Barlow if it works, and Baader with the 2.5. I keep thinking I can just use the WO instead of the BHZ but I just got that and want to try the IV out, I had the III years ago and only tried on the ST80 I had. I could only get it to focus on the 2” mode and I didn’t want to use it that way so sold it. Just a quick inside try with my kids scope I didn’t see much difference between the two (Baader/William Optics) so want to try for REAL.
I will only be using one eyepiece for 5mm (4.5) when I am done. The <4.5/5 will be a zoom or something combination I have.
Think I wrote too long, ER is calling....

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:27 AM

Well if you get the SW Zoom and MWA cheap enough, you can always sell them and get your money back f you don’t like them. I noticed a SW zoom just sold for a really good price on another site, but seller only has one review so I was scared off.

Scott
  • esd726 likes this

#5 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:55 AM

My question , finally , is ... how does the 4.5 Delos perform in a 10” f/5 Dob.

Marvelously!

• esd726 and havasman like this

#6 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

Having never used a 4.5mm in a dob in Indiana (Born and raised in Madison County), I'm not sure if a 4.5mm would see much use outside of the moon and sometimes on planets.  I'm in Colorado now and can say its a fairly rare night I can use a 5mm or less.  I'd recommend a good 7mm, which will see a lot of use, and a decent barlow for those "great" nights.  A TeleVue 7T1 (used) would be a nice eyepiece if you don't need glasses to view, or the ES82 6.7mm.

• esd726 and SteveG like this

#7 Tank

Tank

Soyuz

• Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

I love the Delos EP

But

at higher power and a push too dob the FOV will go by fast

I preferred the Ethos for a push to DOB keeps the FOV much longer

if you have tracking then the either would be good

performance wise its excellent one of my favorite lineup

• esd726 likes this

#8 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:18 PM

At that high of power I think the 82* Meade will be better. Be advised that 5 mm in a 10” dob is a rare night of exceptional seeing. I’m pretty sure I never used my 5 mm XW this year in my 10” dob. A 7 mm eyepiece was used frequently though.

• esd726 likes this

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

Interesting Steve, we live pretty close and 250x isn’t that unusual for me. Granted it has been rarer this year, but I got 300x at least a couple times. Personally I would want a 5mm ish for lunar planetary for a F5 Dob. And I currently use a 42 AFOV eyepiece at 235x or 294x in my refractors, so 250x with 72 AFOV wouldn’t scare me at all. Granted, nudging a 4” refractor might be easier than nudging a 10” Dob.

Scott
  • esd726 likes this

#10 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

Only really interested in the Delis, I’ve tried most of the other ~4.5

#11 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

http://astro-talks.r...opic.php?t=1483

There you go. Look it up in the table. Pretty outstanding at F4.

The biggest risk with getting the Delos is you might not like your BHZ anymore.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 03 December 2019 - 06:53 PM.

#12 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:10 PM

I wish these two eyepieces I have coming would show up and then that night (if I’m off ) the skies are incredible and not TOO cold. I can go try them and BHZ out and maybe play around with some combinations of ones I have and Barlows and go from there.  I hate this having to think and wonder without actually trying stuff. Guess doesn’t help my mind is always going 1000mph all over the place on EVERYTHING anyway . 

Just be nice to get the planning off of “paper”/mind and into practice. 

Oh well I’ll get time sometime I guess 

Off to work.....

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

Well the MWA is a cheaper hyperwide that will show significant edge distortion at F5, especially without a coma corrector. Also these are known for being more like 90-95 AFOV not 100. Not sure how the 5mm rates in that regard.

The SW zoom is reportedly surprisingly well corrected for fast scopes, but with such a large AFOV, will still show edge distortion from coma at F5 without a coma corrector. And it has a lot of glass, and it is a zoom, so high contrast planetary viewing isn’t really its expertise. It has good edge correction but won’t equal a Delos for contrast. Of course this is still all on paper but gives you an idea of what to expect.

Scott

Edited by SeattleScott, 04 December 2019 - 08:31 AM.

#14 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

The more I think [dwell?😂] on it , I think if I do wind up getting another Delos I might go for the 6 instead.  I like my FE and use it sometimes with my 13 T6, but figure the 6 would probably see more use than the 4.5. If I “need” something in the 4.5 range I can always go “cheaper”($-wise) since it probably won’t be used a ton. 

Edited by esd726, 05 December 2019 - 07:17 PM.

#15 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:36 PM

I have several Delos eyepieces, for a 12.5 inch, F5 Portaball. My 4.5 is my highest power eyepiece. I own a 2X Powermate where I can crank up higher power, but I just never find it necessary to squeeze out that much magnification. You will read that 50X per inch is the most you can normally use before you move to 'empty' magnification. I find 30 to 40X per inch of aperture (375 to 500X) is the most I can use due to sky conditions, and most of the time I cruise between 20 and 30X per inch  (250 to 375X) is the most I like to use. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics