•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Night Vision Image Gallery

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#51 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:14 PM

That is not an easy target for EAA.  Would you have seen as much detail through the eyepiece?

jmd

Generally yes. The dark features stand out nicely.

In fact, those dark features are very important to the appearance. Once the true field of the instrument gets smaller than the nebula, the most of the field is glowing when you center on it. The only sources of contrast (or variation) are dark globules, or areas of the nebula that are not emitting as strongly. Or, tracing the edges.

#52 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:28 PM

As I am reviewing my older NV photos, this was a shot I was going to delete. But, I decided to post it to illustrate a problem with many cell phone adapters.

The camera portion of the phone is always located near one of the corners. So most of the weight of the phone lies below the camera lens. This creates a torque on the cell phone adapter resulting in a camera that is no longer square to the eyepiece. Or depending upon the weight of the apparatus and the orientation of the scope, the diopter ring on the NVD rotates just a bit. Unfortunately, both are easy to miss. Until you sync it all up to your computer the next day and do the big Face Palm.

To get around this I made an adapter that does not rely on grasping the eyepiece end of the NVD. Rather, I attach using the 1/4-20 female thread on the NV device. Never touches the eyepiece! To make it I scavenged a spring-loaded phone gripper from a clamp mount and used a $2 piece of angle steel from the local welding supply shop.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-132, Epsilon, 12nm, ISO 3200.jpeg

• GeezerGazer and Starman27 like this

#53 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 12 May 2020 - 03:08 PM

One of the many nebula strewn across the northern Milky Way, easy game for the NV astronomer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-170, Epsilon, 12nm, ISO 6400.jpeg

#54 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:58 PM

NGC 7822 in Cepheus does not seem to get a lot of attention, but it is a very large and bright nebula in Cepheus. It sprawls across most of the 2.2 degree field. This photo does not do the visual appearance justice. Definitely on my Return To list once I get all this camera stuff figured out!

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 7822, Epsilon, 12nm, ISO 6400.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Morgan, 14 May 2020 - 06:59 PM.

#55 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:34 PM

The Pacman Nebula, slightly out of focus.

I find focusing to be one of the bigger challenges to using a cell phone with an eyepiece, though after reading Geezegazer's post and checklist my results have gotten better recently.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pacman Nebula, Epsilon, 12nm, ISO 3200.jpeg

• Starman27, Joko and AllStarez like this

#56 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

Jeff, what app do you use with your iphone to take these images?  

Jmd 

#57 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:15 PM

Jeff, what app do you use with your iphone to take these images?  

Jmd 

I'm using NightCap.

Ray Taylor (GeezerGazer) wrote an awesome summary and "workflow" for using this app. I just started using it a few weeks back and my results are much improved.

https://www.cloudyni...hone/?p=9970636

Like a golf swing, taking cell phone photos through an eyepiece has a dozen things that can go wrong lol.gif

#58 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:46 PM

I'm using NightCap.

Ray Taylor (GeezerGazer) wrote an awesome summary and "workflow" for using this app. I just started using it a few weeks back and my results are much improved.

https://www.cloudyni...hone/?p=9970636

Like a golf swing, taking cell phone photos through an eyepiece has a dozen things that can go wrong lol.gif

Thanks!  Read Ray’s article.  Have started playing with it.  I have the fonemate, and have done some daytime digiscoping.  Waiting for my pvs 14 to ship.  I really like your last picture posted.  

Jmd 

#59 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:28 PM

The Pacman Nebula, slightly out of focus.

I find focusing to be one of the bigger challenges to using a cell phone with an eyepiece, though after reading Geezegazer's post and checklist my results have gotten better recently.

Jeff - your images are inspiring. Lots of fun ahead!

#60 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

Jeff - your images are inspiring. Lots of fun ahead!

Thank you!

Last night I think I made a breakthrough in my cell phone photography efforts. Obsoletes everything I have done to date. (Still, something went wrong - forgot to take the Otterbox off the phone, poor fit to bracket created an artifact in everything I shot last night. Remember that thing I said about the golf swing?)

So, I thought just about deleting the old photos. You may have noticed by date that I am posting these in chronological sequence.

But then I got to thinking, will I delete everything every time I get a new piece of equipment? Decided not to, perhaps the older efforts can illustrate issues and pitfalls to avoid for people just getting started. (Guys, if I can do this with my ten magical thumbs, so can you!)

And until I get a new model iPhone capable of longer exposures, these are very close to what a prospective NV astronomer can expect to see visually with similar suburban light pollution and equipment. As you can see, a substantial leap in capability! IMHO, a bigger leap than the Dobsonian Revolution.

So without further ado, the Tulip Nebula (in sequence - but don't worry, better images are not far away). I was still pushing the ISO back then, these days I try to keep it as low as practicable. Last night, almost everything I shot was 1600 or 800, even the nebula.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-101, Z16.jpeg

#61 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

I really am a visual only guy (now visually enhanced!) What i love about these images is comparing them to what I am seeing live at the eyepiece. They are a great help at managing expectations and also for selecting targets that should be worth viewing. Thanks again to those who are posting these (and for your comments on how close the images are to what you see at the eyepiece)

#62 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

With NV Cygnus becomes the richest nebula hunting ground in the skies. So much so one could dedicate an entire season surveying it - and probably still miss some. Cygnus has targets on all scales. It is sometimes hard to determine where one nebula "ends" and where the next "begins".

Cygnus is also fortuitously placed for northern hemisphere observers. From my latitude of 34N, portions of it are above 30 degrees altitude for about 11 hours out of every 24. By adjusting start times, it is available perhaps nine months out of the year.

Sharpless 2-112 is not particularly large or bright, and probably would be easy to miss. It has some nice interior dust lanes and details. Alan Green requested I make an image of it for him, which is how I came to be familiar with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-112.jpeg

• Starman27 likes this

#63 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:54 PM

With NV Cygnus becomes the richest nebula hunting ground in the skies. So much so one could dedicate an entire season surveying it - and probably still miss some. Cygnus has targets on all scales. It is sometimes hard to determine where one nebula "ends" and where the next "begins".

Cygnus is also fortuitously placed for northern hemisphere observers. From my latitude of 34N, portions of it are above 30 degrees altitude for about 11 hours out of every 24. By adjusting start times, it is available perhaps nine months out of the year.

Sharpless 2-112 is not particularly large or bright, and probably would be easy to miss. It has some nice interior dust lanes and details. Alan Green requested I make an image of it for him, which is how I came to be familiar with it.

Just so you know, you all are driving me nuts waiting for my PVS 14! lol.gif   Great images!  Just installed an eyepiece tray from Shannon Telescopics on my AZ8, and I am really looking forward to star hopping around with the NV system.   

JMD

#64 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:32 PM

Just so you know, you all are driving me nuts waiting for my PVS 14! lol.gif

Well, here is something else to keep you at fever-pitch lol.gif

Not too many people seem to talk about the area west of Deneb, but there are some nice ones here too, including the field around star HR 7756. This particular one is Sh 2-115.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-115.jpeg

• Starman27 likes this

#65 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

Well, here is something else to keep you at fever-pitch lol.gif

Not too many people seem to talk about the area west of Deneb, but there are some nice ones here too, including the field around star HR 7756. This particular one is Sh 2-115.

Very nice!

Got the FedEX notice yesterday.  Should be here next Tuesday.

JMD

#66 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:18 AM

Very nice!

Got the FedEX notice yesterday.  Should be here next Tuesday.

JMD

Congratulations! Waxing moon next week thumbsdown3.gif , but by the time moon sets the Milky Way will be well-placed.

You will also find that Cepheus is a target-rich environment for the NV astronomer. Sh 2-132 is a nice one.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-132.jpeg

#67 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:04 PM

Great thread.  Jeff I take it you are Mod 3 C, I am assuming that by seeing prime focus?  Gravstar you are PVS 14?

Very much a newbie to this and looking to take the plunge soon...  trying to decide on the investment.  Leaning Photonis Intens but in Mod 3 C.....

#68 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:41 AM

Great thread.  Jeff I take it you are Mod 3 C, I am assuming that by seeing prime focus?  Gravstar you are PVS 14?

Very much a newbie to this and looking to take the plunge soon...  trying to decide on the investment.  Leaning Photonis Intens but in Mod 3 C.....

Yes I have pvs-14s, one with a photonis intens wp tube and one with a harder gen 3 wp tube. Most of my images shown are with the harder. I’m interested to know why you are leaning to a photonis intens rather then gen 3?

#69 Gavster

Gavster

Apollo

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:00 AM

Here’s some zoomed in images of the Veil nebula taken at the Isle of Wight last year. These were with my standard c11 with an AP photo visual reducer and 55mm plossl which gives around 38x mag. This a a great object to just scan around the various parts. Although it’s nice to observe all of it in a wider fov with lower mag, I think I prefer these higher mag views where I can pick out more of the fine detail.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0D0F353B-4C3F-4DA8-850F-368C63CA87A2.jpeg
  • CF539E39-98E8-4CDA-91FC-A374FEEFBBDF.jpeg
  • C9450220-B6BA-49D7-8FF6-305BEECAB1D7.jpeg
  • 214DBA7C-612E-4E77-9C4A-1FCF7C3E3249.jpeg

• GeezerGazer, Starman27, Scottsdale90 and 3 others like this

#70 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

Yes I have pvs-14s, one with a photonis intens wp tube and one with a harder gen 3 wp tube. Most of my images shown are with the harder. I’m interested to know why you are leaning to a photonis intens rather then gen 3?

From what I have seen the Photonis has less gain, but higher contrast and less noise, and less scintillation.  There is a Youtube video of a side by side of Photonis, and a Gen 3 (not Harder).  While I plan on throwing everything at a mod 3 setup from camera lenses to small scopes FSQ106, and MN74.  I also am fortunate enough to have some aperature, a 24" F4,in my yellow / red garage, and a 36" at a dark sky site.  So my input photons can be a bit higher than most, and my thought process is that i might not need that much gain. 

I also know myself well enough to know I want as ""natural"" and as "Glass Optical" type view at the eyepiece.  I have an old Armasight Sirius, Gen 2ish NV scope, (havent had any sucess adapting that to astronomy due to Non-standard threads) and wouldnt prefer that effect of all that scintillation.....

Perhaps I have gotten it wrong and would be very interested in hearing others thoughts, as this is going to be a very significant investment.

#71 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:53 PM

Thanks!

Yes, I have the Mod 3C. Observationally I use both methods. Depends upon what I am after.

My photos are a mostly afocal because most of my initial targets were nebula. However, I am starting to do more prime focus. It is not so much preferring one method over the other, but upon target (and framing) I am after.

Here is a very recent example of prime focus using a barlow for more scale. NGC 4565 (the Needle Galaxy) from suburban skies with a 130mm refractor. With the 2.4x barlow, my effective focal ratio was 16.8. So I compensated with higher ISO.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4373.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Morgan, 24 May 2020 - 10:55 PM.

• Starman27 and Scottsdale90 like this

#72 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:26 PM

Another nice Cepheus nebula ... now that I am starting to get the hang of this cell phone photography I can't wait to get back to the northern Milky Way.

So many targets so little time ...

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-135.jpeg

#73 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:42 PM

Another Cepheus gem begging for a return visit, the Wizard Nebula.

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 7380.jpeg

• Scottsdale90 likes this

#74 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

And the bright nebula parade continues into Cassiopeia. A twofer today, Sharpless 2-152 and the slightly more difficult Sharpless 2-153.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sh 2-152.jpeg

• Joko and eros312 like this

#75 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE, EUROPE

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

Hi Jeff,

Nice pics waytogo.gif  

You will soon be able to make a catalog of all the Sharpless pics you took with your NVD

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics