•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Breakthrough in Armoring???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:53 PM

For a long time, re-armoring binoculars has been a craft that has given techs a chance to shine. Over the last few years, however, things have gotten much tougher—rubber and vinyl are thicker, attached in new ways, and not as resilient as in years past. Right now, I am re-armoring an 8x30 Fuji that is absolutely giving me fits.

However, I just saw a FIX that may just be the neatest thing since sliced bread.

A fellow brought in his Fujinon 7x50 that had been shot with TRUCK BED LINER!

It was:

1) Uniform in thickness
2) Had a great texture for gripping
3) Was hard as nails (figuratively)

In addition, the company did it for about 25% of what I would have charged—what I would have HAD to charge based on my costs. Since these companies are in just about every community, this could be a real blessing for those of us with older instruments.

In the next few weeks I will try to have a couple done for the company. When done, I’ll report back.

Cheers,

Bill

#2 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

Clever crosspollinization.
Would you disassemble (to individual tubes) and mask (very carefully) or leave assembled and mask (very carefully), or take all the glass out?
That is assuming sprayed on coating... I think I've seen this stuff in liquid for for roller application. That might make it easier to coat only the surfaces that need coating. ;)

#3 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

So when members report "this is my truck bed pair of binoculars" it will no longer be a figure of speech!

edz

#4 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

This probably sounds even more interesting to ME than to most other readers here .

The reason being , I haven't a CLUE what a TRUCK BED LINER is !

It sounds like the title of a Creedence Clearwater Revival song , but I can't imagine how one of their songs , or anyone else's songs , for that matter , could be used as armouring for binoculars .

I'm guessing BILL may know what it means though , being as it was he who mentioned it -- but Bill being Bill , I'm aware he probably won't be able to tell us what it is DIRECTLY :-)

Regards , Kenny

#5 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:46 PM

Rhino linings

#6 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

I actually have a truck bed liner in my pickup truck. Very useful things. Extends the life of the chassis considerably. Like dgs, I do rather wonder how such stuff can be applied to a tiny delicate binocular, though.

#7 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:59 PM

>>>I'm guessing BILL may know what it means though , being as it was he who mentioned it -- but Bill being Bill , I'm aware he probably won't be able to tell us what it is DIRECTLY :-)Regards , Kenny<<<

The spray-on rubbery stuff that protects the inside of truck beds.

It comes in three sizes: Small, medium, and Kenny. :----]

Cheers,

Bill

#8 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

Ahhhh -- I see what this is now !

Bill can return to his hole without further comment ! :-)

Kenny

#9 BillC

BillC

on a new path

• topic starter

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

But probably won't. ;-)

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics