•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Frame rate for ISS solar transit question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:00 PM

There is an ISS solar transit 12/07/2019. We will be dead center on the chord. I will be imaging with a ZWO ASI 174mm and Lunt 60mm Ha scope. The first transit I captured had skips in the data because I started my SharpCap video to soon and the camera was buffering. I was shooting at 120 fps. This transit will last 0.92s. What frame rate would be optimal? I plan to start my capture closer to the start of the transit. Below is the result of my first transit capture. This is only one frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190609_005555.jpg

• hopskipson, lbim and Bagwell like this

#2 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Explorer 1

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

John,

I found that I was able to get a great capture with only 15 fps on a lunar transit last month.  See topic title "ISS (& Mercury) Transit Processing".  If you dial down the ZWO to about 20-30 fps you should eliminate the buffering and still capture a decent amount of frames.  I started capturing early and had a total of 6,100 frames of which only 13 had the transit for 0.91 seconds. 

I was thinking about trying for a solar transit on 12/11 if the weather is clear.

Good Luck on the capture!

• PhotonJohn likes this

#3 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:36 PM

Nice shot John!  I think Aaron has a good suggestion to dial down the fps just a bit to avoid the buffering.

• PhotonJohn likes this

#4 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:18 PM

John,

I found that I was able to get a great capture with only 15 fps on a lunar transit last month.  See topic title "ISS (& Mercury) Transit Processing".  If you dial down the ZWO to about 20-30 fps you should eliminate the buffering and still capture a decent amount of frames.  I started capturing early and had a total of 6,100 frames of which only 13 had the transit for 0.91 seconds. 

I was thinking about trying for a solar transit on 12/11 if the weather is clear.

Good Luck on the capture!

Thanks Aaron, my last name is also Small. I checked out your Transit Processing post.

#5 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:20 PM

Nice shot John!  I think Aaron has a good suggestion to dial down the fps just a bit to avoid the buffering.

Thanks Warren. I enjoy your posts and animations.
  • rigel123 likes this

#6 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Explorer 1

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:28 AM

Wow, don't see too many Small's out there.  Unless you have some Louisiana relatives way back, I doubt were related very closely since there aren't many male heirs to carry on the name in my line.

Don't forget to post back your success (or failure) on your capture tomorrow.  I'm real curious to hear and learn from your experience.

• PhotonJohn likes this

#7 SkipW

SkipW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:42 PM

I'd suggest dry runs trying different frame rates using the equipment you'll be using to record the transit. That way you find out the practical maximum for your own configuration. What are you using to record the data? If it's SharpCap, it will tell you if it's dropping frames. Other programs probably do, too. 

• PhotonJohn likes this

#8 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:15 PM

I'd suggest dry runs trying different frame rates using the equipment you'll be using to record the transit. That way you find out the practical maximum for your own configuration. What are you using to record the data? If it's SharpCap, it will tell you if it's dropping frames. Other programs probably do, too.

I used SharpCap at 15 fps. I captured 13 frames with the ISS visible. I'm working on the processing. It's been a long day.

#9 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Explorer 1

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

Amazing how we will drive, set up, align, focus, image, tear down, drive back and process; taking hours upon hours; and all for less than a second of imaging.  

What a rush!

• PhotonJohn and Bob3137 like this

#10 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:02 PM

Amazing how we will drive, set up, align, focus, image, tear down, drive back and process; taking hours upon hours; and all for less than a second of imaging.  

What a rush!

Only had to drive thirty three miles for this one. We set up on Kennedy Space center property North of the VAB on St Rd 3. We had permission unlike my first try where I could have been arrested. I got up at 7am and I'm exhausted. Will get down to serious processing tomorrow. There is another transit this coming Thursday less than a mile from my home. You are right about the rush. Nothing like it, I love it when a plan comes together. Not the greatest at processing but will post when ready. Thanks for your tips on frame rate Aaron. Below is a single frame.

Attached Thumbnails

• ISStransit120719f915jpg.jpg

• SkipW, Aaron Small and Bob3137 like this

#11 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Explorer 1

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:48 PM

Great job, John.  

On processing, I recommend you look back at the thread I mentioned before.  BQ Octantis gave me great advice and it worked out well to create a single image composite of all frames.  Doesn't look like yours need sharpening at all.

What was your setup?

I have a solar transit coming up (at my office no less) on 12/11.  Hmmm...

Edited by Aaron Small, 07 December 2019 - 09:50 PM.

• PhotonJohn likes this

#12 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:00 PM

Great job, John.  

On processing, I recommend you look back at the thread I mentioned before.  BQ Octantis gave me great advice and it worked out well to create a single image composite of all frames.  Doesn't look like yours need sharpening at all.

What was your setup?

I have a solar transit coming up (at my office no less) on 12/11.  Hmmm...

My setup was a double stacked Lunt LS-60THAD/B12C on a Takahashi EM 11 mount and ASI174mm. Captured with SharpCap at 15 fps. This image is sharpened using Registax 6 wavelets. Haven't figured out IMppg, GIMP, PIPP, or Firecapture yet but working on that. There are so many programs and my old brain gets overloaded. I will check out BQ.

20191207_110418.jpg

Edited by PhotonJohn, 08 December 2019 - 10:16 AM.

#13 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Explorer 1

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:27 PM

Hope you had gator spray.  That roadside setup looks a little vulnerable (my brother and sister both used to live in Melbourne and my parents are from Tampa).shocked.gif

• PhotonJohn likes this

#14 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:44 AM

I was more concerned about the wild hogs, they are as big as a car and mean. But if you want to be under the center of the chord, a man's gotta do what he's gotta do.
  • rigel123 and SkipW like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics