•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best PixInsight star mask for M45?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• topic starter
  • Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:10 PM

I got about three hours' worth of integration on The Pleiades from November.  I'm trying to draw out the nebulosity as best I can, but I don't want to blow out the stars to Hades and gone.

So I need to have a star mask.  What's the best way to configure one in PixInsight for M45?

Clear Skies,

Phil

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 05 December 2019 - 12:47 PM

I think Range Selection is what you want. Make sure you have enough blur otherwise your results won't look natural.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

Using MaskedStretch is another possibility.  HDRMultiscaleTransform may be useful.  It can help to do it twice, once in the linear phase, once after stretching.

As always, if there are 3 different ways to do something, PI has 6.  <smile>

Edited by bobzeq25, 05 December 2019 - 01:05 PM.

• Eric Horton and Swordfishy like this

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:54 PM

Bob beat me to it. I would suggest using masked stretch. I personally prefer to drop the target background to about .05 and up the iterations considerably to even as high as 1000. You can do further histogram stretching to taste.

#5 Becomart

Becomart

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 December 2019 - 02:50 PM

You can also use the clone stamp tool on the mask to make some fine adjustments. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics