•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Loose CGX DEC head

Celestron equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

Does anyone have any information on how the DEC head /gear of the CGX mount is fastened to the mount.

I just noticed tonight that I can rotate the DEC head a slight amount with the clutch fully locked.

If I remove the motor/drive cover , I can see the worm gear, along with the head moving slightly when I apply a small pressure on the head saddle in a rotational direction.

It is about a month out of warranty but I will check with Celestron to see if they will give me any information.

Thanks for any help on this.

Edited by skaiser, 05 December 2019 - 08:25 PM.

#2 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:06 PM

If you can see the worm move back and forth you have a loose mounting of the motor assy. The worm should not move. You may find this thread helpful.

https://www.cloudyni...-mine-solution/

Check the mounting screws circled in red in this post.

https://www.cloudyni...-1497193487.jpg

Chris

Edited by Cfreerksen, 05 December 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#3 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:56 PM

Does anyone have any information on how the DEC head /gear of the CGX mount is fastened to the mount.

I just noticed tonight that I can rotate the DEC head a slight amount with the clutch fully locked.

If I remove the motor/drive cover , I can see the worm gear, along with the head moving slightly when I apply a small pressure on the head saddle in a rotational direction.

It is about a month out of warranty but I will check with Celestron to see if they will give me any information.

Thanks for any help on this.

Did ya get it fixed?

Chris

#4 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:01 PM

You might want to read this thread too.... Well documented.

https://www.cloudyni...for-cgx-owners/

#5 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

As it turns out, the worm gear was not loose. 
Old age eyesight and not enough lighting made me think the main gear was moving. sigh....

in reality it was a loose worm to gear engagement.

anyway 

I did manage to learn a lot on how the adjustment screws of the cgx motors affect the worm to gear interface.

i was able to mount a deflection dial indicator on the RA and DEC motors to monitor how much the adjustment screws changed the gear interface, and tweak the settings to known values (+/- 0.0005”)

out of curiosity I also monitored the worm deflection as it traveled 270deg around the gear.

both axis only showed about 0.001 to 0.0015” deviation during the move.

i thought this was pretty good.

Take care

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics