Going through my professional papers I found this publication...Observatory-Site Reconnaissance by Roger Lynds and Jean Goad, 1984.
AND they had the TOP 12 listing of potential observatory sites in ORDER.
1. Wheeler Peak. Great site, warranted further study. Unfortunately, now part of Great Basin National Park, but you can camp in the campground not sure if you can stay overnight further up.
2. White Mountain Peak, Inyo National Forest
3. Telescope Peak, Death Valley National Park
4. Kendrick Peak, Kaibab National Forest
5. Montgomery Peak, Inyo National Forest
6. Shingle Peak, Humboldt National Forest
7.South Shoshone Peak, Toiyabe National Forest
8. Bald Mountain, probably outside of Great Basin National Park....didn't check but Humbolt National Forest in 1984.
9. Lone Mountain, no location given.....
10. White Pine Peak, Humbolt National Forest??
11. Sentinel Peak, Death Valley National Park
12. Sierra Blanca Peak, Lincoln National Forest
There is a complete listing of other sites, but they are not discussed in the text.
I was surprised that . Junipero Serra Peak, Los Padres National Forest didn't make the list.