•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVX080T-3SV or AT92 F5.5

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SebaAstro

SebaAstro

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:57 PM

Ok XMas is coming and Santa may bring me a new refractor. Which one would you pick between the SV SVX080T-3SV and the AT92 F5.5?

I currently have an ES ED80 FCD100 (for wide field -nebulas) and ES ED127 FCD100 (primary for galaxies and planetary nebulas). I am thinking to sell them both and get one EXCELLENT short refractor (80-90 mm range) and cover the same (approx) FoV  range of the two refractors just using either my ASI1600MM-pro and ASI183MM-Pro (my limitation is the average OK seen condition of NE Philadelphia area).

Let me have your opinion please!

#2 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

Have you considered a Sky-Watcher Esprit? They can be considered the "best bang for the buck" telescope.

Sorry for muddying the waters. 

Miguel   8-)

#3 epdreher

epdreher

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 08 December 2019 - 03:40 PM

SV.

• gundark likes this

#4 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

I assume you are imaging, so with that in mind here are my thoughts. 

The SVX80T comes with a dedicated flattener, rings, dovetail and is ready to go out of the box for imaging. It has excellent optics as well, a nice focuser (mine did take a little tweaking to get it just right, including the rotation). 

The AT92, I can’t honestly comment on since I’ve never used one. Check the reviews.  My only comment is that it is a fast scope and will have field curvature, so a flattener would be required for imaging. 

I would probably go with the Stellarvue if imaging. 

For visual only, I might go with the AT92 to get the widefield views. I have a 92mm f4.9 that is stunning for wide field visual. 

• SebaAstro likes this

#5 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:24 PM

AT92.   It’s a great lens.  

• Jon Isaacs and SebaAstro like this

#6 aa6ww

aa6ww

Vanguard

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:24 AM

AT-92 is an amazing scope in every way. As impressive as the optics are, the focuser is as good as the best I have ever used in any refractor ever.

...Ralph 

Attached Thumbnails

• at92 on cg4.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, Phil Cowell and SebaAstro like this

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 December 2019 - 06:24 AM

The AT92, I can’t honestly comment on since I’ve never used one. Check the reviews.  My only comment is that it is a fast scope and will have field curvature, so a flattener would be required for imaging.

Field curvature depends on focal length and focal ratio. Both scopes are fast, both scopes are similar in focal length. One is slower and shorter, one is faster but longer, these should cancel.

Both require a flattener for imaging. The SV comes with one, the AT will require purchasing one.

Jon

• SebaAstro likes this

#8 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 27 December 2019 - 10:46 AM

The build quality of the SVX080T-3SV is excellent and the 3" focuser is smooth. SV customer service is also excellent.

• SebaAstro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics