•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Noob: what to expect from 6.5x32?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 the Elf

the Elf

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:28 AM

Hello all,

this week I got my first binos ever. Following a CNer's recommendation it the SG 6.5x32 WP ED by Vixen. Of course the weather is dreadful this week and I could not try much. I am wondering what to expect. Under suburban skies, Borle 4 according to map, not measured, will I be able to see:

- the Andromeda galaxy?

- the Triangulum galaxy?

- the running man nebula?

- colors of M42? (I expect to see M42 for sure but will it be colored?)

- the rosette nebula?

- the california nebula? I doubt this one.

Would you recommend to observe with my glasses on or without? From I first test it seems like I come to focus without glasses but I cannot tell how much my eyes astigmatism will affect the image. I read in the book "Discover the Night Sky through Binoculars" by Stephen Tonkin to rest my fingers on the bones of my head to hold it still. That won't work with glasses on. Probably got to try.

clear skies

the Elf

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:30 AM

You are right about the astigmatism and it really depends upon how much correction you need for your eyes. I always find that I get better looking stars when wearing my glasses with my image stabilized Canon 10x30 binos. But, I often prefer to "suffer" some image degradation because my glasses prevent me from making full use of the eye cups that block stray light from my bright surroundings (red zone light pollution with lots of bright outdoor lighting around my home). Also, physically it's usually more comfortable to view without my glasses. So, I use my binos both with and without my glasses.

As for your object list, yes, definitely for the Andromeda Galaxy. As for the others, some probably yes, others perhaps not. As for colors in M42, probably but not really colors (plural), but just a hint of a single color away from a shade of gray. I would think that the Triangulum galaxy would also be possible since I can even detect that with my naked eyes from a blue zone (Bortle 3).

#3 jaraxx

jaraxx

Messenger

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:05 AM

I've a set of 6.5 X 32 binoculars with ED glass. Mine are not individual focus and I use them a lot for terrestrial stuff as they are easy to carry, don't shake at all, have a very close focus and give great views.

You can easily see Andromeda, the Triangulum less easy. M42 colors not so much. What they will show you color-wise are stars. Take a look at the larger clusters - the Hyades, M6, M7, Coma Berenices, the Beehive (M44), M45, the Double Cluster in Perseus. The starfields of Sagittarius, Scorpius, Cygnus and Cassiopeia should be beautiful thru those glasses. 

Enjoy!

#4 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5 skies.

Posted 06 December 2019 - 09:27 AM

I always use my Vixen 6.5 x 32 with eyeglasses to compensate for astigmatism. In fact, the good eye relief for using with eyeglasses was one of the reasons for choosing this model. It is great for extended star fields. I have found that wrapping the binocular strap around my arms while holding the binocular helps a lot on stability while observing.

#5 SECTOR 001

SECTOR 001

Explorer 1

• Loc: Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

I often prefer to "suffer" some image degradation because my glasses prevent me from making full use of the eye cups that block stray light from my bright surroundings (red zone light pollution with lots of bright outdoor lighting around my home). Also, physically it's usually more comfortable to view without my glasses. So, I use my binos both with and without my glasses.

Have you tried the Bino Bandits?  I use them on my Bino's, they make a huge difference!

I wear contacts so I can't comment on how they work with glasses.

https://www.cloudyni...ndits-are-a-go/

Kenny

• james7ca likes this

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:19 PM

Enjoy your new 6.5x32. They should be nice for hand held observing and do quite well under dark skies.

Please make sure you have realistic expectations. These are not hand held twin Mount Palomar telescopes!

About your list: get some experience under the stars. 

For color in Orion nebula, generally a large telescope and good skies are needed to see it easily, not a small binocular. Ditto for the Rosetta Nebula and some others you mention. After many years, you may start to find them easier with binoculars, but not when starting out.

Generally, the brightest deep sky objects will show up nicely under dark skies, but not very bright. A 50mm binocular will start to do that under good skies. What they will do extremely well is showing the brighter objects in the universe within their stellar surroundings. And large objects like M31 and M33 will easily fit in the field of view, helping to make them visible. M31 will do well at 6.5x, M33 benefits from 10x and the increased contrast that brings. But large open clusters like the Hyades or Pleiades in Taurus should do very well.

Transparency and darkness of the skies are your best friends. Your new 6.5x32 will make it very easy for you to get under such dark skies with an instrument, that's where they will shine.

• hallelujah and Foss like this

#7 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:39 PM

Please make sure you have realistic expectations.

These are not hand held twin Mount Palomar telescopes!

scared.gif     

Burst my Bubble!   shocked.gif

Since when are we supposed to be realistic in our expectations??

Stan

#8 Cestus

Cestus

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:39 PM

My little 6.5's are good for a quick look out the window. I keep them there.

#9 harbinjer

harbinjer

Messenger

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:40 PM

You'll see the core of M31. Under daker skies you will see more extension. M33 might be hard in Bortle 4 skies for a newbie, and it gets harder the more light pollution you have. M101 is similar in that regard. You won't see the Rosette or California.  I don't think you'll see colors in m42. You will enjoy the Pleiades, and Hyades, and Double Cluster. Those are all great.

#10 the Elf

the Elf

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:51 AM

Thanks to all for the replys. The bino bandits look great, I'll find out if I can find them over here.

(EDIT: thanks to amazon international I can order them from the US. Will arrive just before christmas.)

Alas the weather forecast tells me I won't use my new toy the next days.

I remember my first night with the telescope. It was late, I have to get up early so I took a single subframe of 5 minutes of the andromeda galaxy. It was just the bight core without any color. This is what I expect to see but this is something. My expectation is for sure not too high as I know how many hours of integration a camera needs to "see" the objects. I was just looking for something that boosts my natural vision and I guess the small bino does. I'm aware of the fact that it will take some time until they become a natural extension of my senses. Getting better is part of the fun. Thanks again!

Edited by the Elf, 07 December 2019 - 02:58 AM.

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 07 December 2019 - 05:00 AM

Looks like you're on a good track.

Under very good conditions, these binoculars may pleasantly surprise you!

#12 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2019 - 07:24 AM

Thanks to all for the replys. The bino bandits look great, I'll find out if I can find them over here.

(EDIT: thanks to amazon international I can order them from the US. Will arrive just before christmas.)

Bino Bandits are available in the UK so they'll almost certainly arrive in Germany more quickly than from the USA, plus the postage will be very much cheaper.

I got mine on eBay from new-pro outlet who have a 100% feedback rating.  Current item number is 85884700634.  Cost is £20 post free to the UK.

Mine came within 2 days and I find the product excellent.

Hope that helps.

• hallelujah likes this

#13 the Elf

the Elf

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2019 - 12:08 PM

Thank you! I really need a search engine that finds products sorted by distance. :-)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics