•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2019 is gone ... Welcome 2020, so what's next?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:36 AM

Hey all,

2019 is already gone and we will welcome the new year if we are still alive, so i am sure everyone has a plan for next year, i am making plans always and always changing due to situations or results or whatever.

Finally i got my OIII 3nm filter last month, did give it a quick try, wasn't bad, still need more time to try it, but i can tell it is way way better than my 6.5nm OIII filter i use [Optolong].

Now i am trying to make a list with all targets i can do with only Ha and OIII until i can manage to bring SII also, but now i am not sure if this time i should bring LRGB first [Astrodon] or SII, because i know i will use SII more with Ha and OIII, but there are targets i want to do with LRGB combined with Ha as well, so not sure if LRGB or SII will see more use regardless of the targets and sky condition i am in.

I used my ZWO filter wheel which is mainly for planetary to mount my Astrodon Ha and OIII, but trying to connect it to my QHY camera caused me all problems i never expected, so now i don't know which filter wheel i can buy to accept my Astrodon/Chroma 1.25" 10mm thickness filters with my QHY163M camera, with QHY filter wheel i can use the short adapter to bring the camera closer, i do have that filter wheel, but i bought an internal disk for 1.25" and to my surprise it didn't accept 10mm Astrodon/Chroma filters, so either i go with their standard version which i don't know if it will accept it, or another filter wheel that can make QHY163M camera closer to the filters, if you know options please tell me so i can finish my problem.

I bought QHY mini guide scope, it fit perfectly for my QHY5 camera, but i still have problems with guiding, and i am trying with one guy locally to figure it out and solve it, and it is with all my guiding setup with any imaging setup, so it is definitely software settings than the equipment itself, but i am still in that position thinking about  "To OAG or not", at least for my Newt, i bought this Mini Guide Scope to mount it on my Newt to minimize weight, just not sure if it is FL is sufficient for it, i have to ix and finish with this guiding issue since years, my DSO imaging is all crap due to not making guiding working properly, so this will be my first goal to fix soon.

Honestly speaking, using my Astrodon Ha again is a lot of joy, i did try for Horeshead and Orion and Flaming Star and Rosette targets unguided and they were amazing really, i tried with 5 minutes even unguided, sure the stars or results isn't good unguided, but the target is just right there screaming for better, so i have to quickly setup my gear perfectly as possible as i can and use this Ha/OIII to get nice data then i start new journey ...... "PixInsight Processing", i tried to play with others data, for short time not deep processing steps, got few tips, but i really want to play with my own data, i feel i want to spend 1-5 hours on my own data than others even if my data isn't that good yet, but i am learning now how to make my data as good once i mentioned about my gear setup being fixed, i spent long time now trying without reaching anywhere, and as someone told me, i will focus on one target and my plan is also to use one filter to have enough data of that then move to another filter for same target, sounds this year and last year were just experimenting, so i want to start new year with new plan, and serious one, almost got enough items to make it, always i have one kind of issue when i setup, but i hope this time once everything is right then i enjoy more imaging, it needs patience, i remember in 2017 i thought i will make it in few months, people told me it will take years, so now almost 3 years passed for me, now i have to start better.

I attached Rosette Nebula done with my ST80 again and Astrodon Ha [5min subs unguided] as my setup failed on me with my Canon lens, so i ordered adapters, one for Canon connecting and the other for coma corrector with Newt, let's see how it will go for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rosette - Nov 2019.jpg

#2 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:34 AM

Well, not quite gone. 

• Hondo likes this

#3 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:35 AM

Well, not quite gone. 

Wait 25 days and it is officially gone wink.gif waytogo.gif

#4 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:57 AM

but i am still in that position thinking about  "To OAG or not", at least for my Newt, 

Congrats on the new 3nm OIII! Not to be off topic, but you did mention OAG. While a bit more complex to set up, it really is the way to go. I don't care what anyone says, differential flexure will always be there no matter how stable your guidescope setup. OAG can be a challenge for backfocus starved imaging trains, but for the most part it can always be worked out.  Enjoy the rest of the year. When I was a kid, 2020 seemed so far away....hey aren't we supposed to have flying cars by now? lol.gif

#5 Hondo

Hondo

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: NB, Canada

Posted 06 December 2019 - 06:58 AM

Why are you wishing away the rest of the year?  Life is too precious to dismiss even one day.  Live for the now.

• Shorty Barlow likes this

#6 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:08 AM

Congrats on the new 3nm OIII! Not to be off topic, but you did mention OAG. While a bit more complex to set up, it really is the way to go. I don't care what anyone says, differential flexure will always be there no matter how stable your guidescope setup. OAG can be a challenge for backfocus starved imaging trains, but for the most part it can always be worked out.  Enjoy the rest of the year. When I was a kid, 2020 seemed so far away....hey aren't we supposed to have flying cars by now? lol.gif

Nice, i will think about OAG, in all cases i don't lose much, i have guide scopes, so what harm to have OAG to try, thanks.

In fact even 2010 i thought it is so far away when i was a kid, and according to your last lines, i did read about the car walking on the water and on the land, so flying cars was also an ideas i was watching in cartoons, but i grew up to find about reality of life.

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:10 AM

Why are you wishing away the rest of the year?  Life is too precious to dismiss even one day.  Live for the now.

Every year i was saying that and i figure out that it won't change, i will enjoy the rest of the year but i am in very very bad situations that i feel i want this year really to end soon so i can start next year better way, but i will enjoy the res of this year with rebates and offers as i did last years, but most my plans are delayed for next year anyway, and i am planning to do imaging by next year starting with January, this month i am still waiting everything so nothing to do.

#8 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:12 AM

Wait 25 days and it is officially gone wink.gif waytogo.gif

Depends on your perspective, we're already 36 days into the Celtic New Year. 

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:24 AM

Depends on your perspective, we're already 36 days into the Celtic New Year. 

Nah, that is not an official calendar to consider, sorry lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif grin.gif

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:25 AM

So, my topic is about the year gone or not more than plans for this remaining days and next year? My fault to title it that way

#11 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2019 - 07:35 AM

Nah, that is not an official calendar to consider, sorry lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif grin.gif

Not official for you perhaps. My point being (although I am of Celt descent) is that it's just a number or date that marks our journey around the sun. I'm with Hondo on this and take a Zen approach. 

Live in the now.

'Be the universe'

• TareqPhoto likes this

#12 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:00 AM

Not official for you perhaps. My point being (although I am of Celt descent) is that it's just a number or date that marks our journey around the sun. I'm with Hondo on this and take a Zen approach. 

Live in the now.

'Be the universe'

Tell me about it, i was in Scotland back in 2007 and i never heard or read about that, China also have their own calender, and for me i also follow our calendar, i was just kidding, i never meant to be rude, i respect every nation culture, there is a solar year and we use a lunar year, that's all.

#13 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Slovenia

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:29 AM

what's next? More cloudy nights obviously. cool.gif

#14 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:31 AM

Tell me about it, i was in Scotland back in 2007 and i never heard or read about that, China also have their own calender, and for me i also follow our calendar, i was just kidding, i never meant to be rude, i respect every nation culture, there is a solar year and we use a lunar year, that's all.

October the 31st is traditionally Nos Calan Gaeaf (Welsh Brythonic). It was the old Celtic New Year's Eve. Halloween (All Hallow Evening) has been superimposed on it. The Bonfire Night celebrations of November the 5th in England were originally on the 31st, following the Celtic bonfire (bone fire) celebration tradition. It was moved to the 5th to commemorate the thwarting of the Gunpowder Plot. Bonfire Night is often referred to as Guy Fawkes Night outside of the Commonwealth. No one in the UK calls or refers to it as that though.

'Halloween' trick or treating is based on an old Celtic belief that the Tylwyth Teg (Family Fair/faery folk) could leave Tir na Nog aka Annwn (the Otherworld) and enter the world of the living on Nos Calan Gaeaf. So gifts of food were left outside to appease them on the New Year's Eve.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 06 December 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#15 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:18 PM

what's next? More cloudy nights obviously. cool.gif

We have cloudy nights, like 1/2 or1/3 times of yours at worst for us astronomers or at best for those who wants clouds here, 6 months of heat and another 2 extra months warm or normal, so definitely clouds is highly demanded here laugh.gif lol.gif

#16 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:20 PM

October the 31st is traditionally Nos Calan Gaeaf (Welsh Brythonic). It was the old Celtic New Year's Eve. Halloween (All Hallow Evening) has been superimposed on it. The Bonfire Night celebrations of November the 5th in England were originally on the 31st, following the Celtic bonfire (bone fire) celebration tradition. It was moved to the 5th to commemorate the thwarting of the Gunpowder Plot. Bonfire Night is often referred to as Guy Fawkes Night outside of the Commonwealth. No one in the UK calls or refers to it as that though.

'Halloween' trick or treating is based on an old Celtic belief that the Tylwyth Teg (Family Fair/faery folk) could leave Tir na Nog aka Annwn (the Otherworld) and enter the world of the living on Nos Calan Gaeaf. So gifts of food were left outside to appease them on the New Year's Eve.

Very interesting, so beautiful to learn other nations cultures and traditions, thank you very much

• Shorty Barlow likes this

#17 OldManSky

OldManSky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:13 PM

I consider the Winter Solstice to be the end/start of a new year, no matter which calendar does or doesn't agree...:)

As for plans for the new year:  I'm building a new flip-top-roof observatory, have a new higher-capability mount on the way (CEM60), got a new mini-computer to keep in the observatory, and plan (weather permitting) to do about twice as many imaging nights as this year...since "setup" will now consist entirely of opening a roof and turning the power switch on, which will reduce the number of nights I come home from work, see a clear sky, and tell myself, "geez, I'm just too tired to set up tonight!"

#18 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2019 - 01:46 PM

I consider the Winter Solstice to be the end/start of a new year, no matter which calendar does or doesn't agree...smile.gif

As for plans for the new year:  I'm building a new flip-top-roof observatory, have a new higher-capability mount on the way (CEM60), got a new mini-computer to keep in the observatory, and plan (weather permitting) to do about twice as many imaging nights as this year...since "setup" will now consist entirely of opening a roof and turning the power switch on, which will reduce the number of nights I come home from work, see a clear sky, and tell myself, "geez, I'm just too tired to set up tonight!"

med_gallery_249298_5348_2246719.png

I think the Druids might agree with you lol. (Starry Night Enthusiast 8).

• OldManSky likes this

#19 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:34 PM

I consider the Winter Solstice to be the end/start of a new year, no matter which calendar does or doesn't agree...smile.gif

That is always a great idea, i really wish if i can build one, the only place in my house or property to do it is on my house roof, but my house is old enough, and i am not sure if the load won't cause issues to the whole structure itself as long it is already has some damages around down, also i hate the staircase i have to go up to the roof, it wasn't my choice, and i am not sure what other option for me to go up to the roof without being brave using the current staircase.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics